IGNORED

TopGolf Experiences

Bonvivant
Note: This thread is 1316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

My kids are taking me tomorrow for my birthday. I’m not sure what to expect, but hopefully we have a good time. 

You’ll have a good time. It’s fun. It’s just not a practice range.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

My kids are taking me tomorrow for my birthday. I’m not sure what to expect, but hopefully we have a good time. 

I've read it can be fun.....the most negative feedbacks I've read is that it's quite expensive....good thing is the kids are paying😆...have fun and Happty Bday!

Was on vacation with the family last year right outside of DC and went to the Alexandria one with my wife, son (5 at the time) and daughter (3 at the time.)

I agree, don't expect it to match anything close to REAL golf but it's still fun to get some swings in with people that don't usually play. This one sloped to the short targets so when my kids and wife were topping shit they still felt good getting points. Meanwhile, I was getting pissed when I barely miss the target at 150 and losing lol.

I liked the food and atmosphere. Did NOT like the rental clubs. Would probably bring a few of my own if I were to go to one again.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

2 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

I've read it can be fun.....the most negative feedbacks I've read is that it's quite expensive....good thing is the kids are paying😆...have fun and Happty Bday!

It was pretty fun. My high score was 176. I could pepper the 100 yard target all day, but I got dialed into the blue target and ran up the score pretty good. 

- Shane

On 6/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, PJCdude said:

This one sloped to the short targets so when my kids and wife were topping shit they still felt good getting points. Meanwhile, I was getting pissed when I barely miss the target at 150 and losing lol.

Going there with my old coworkers, I can definitely confirm this. 

On 6/27/2020 at 3:07 PM, PJCdude said:

I liked the food and atmosphere. Did NOT like the rental clubs. Would probably bring a few of my own if I were to go to one again.

The second time I went I brought a wedge, 7 iron, and 4 iron. This made it much more enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

45 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

The second time I went I brought a wedge, 7 iron, and 4 iron. This made it much more enjoyable.

You to take the driver too. It’s fun smashing balls to the end of the range. 

- Shane

10 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

You to take the driver too. It’s fun smashing balls to the end of the range. 

I wouldn't take my driver. IIRC the tee is a little on the low side.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

You definitely have to have a different mind set when going to TopGolf.  Don't think of it as a driving range but rather a completely different game.  

One thing I did not like is the amount of time we had to wait for a bay to open up.  Almost an hour.  This was about a 3-4 years ago and have not gone back since. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, billchao said:

I figure I better get used to hitting the Big D off the turf when they outlaw tees. 😉

The tees were useless. Too low for a driver and too high for a 3W or iron. 

- Shane

58 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I figure I better get used to hitting the Big D off the turf when they outlaw tees. 😉

The tees were useless. Too low for a driver and too high for a 3W or iron. 

I have a mini driver that would be perfect now that I think about it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, billchao said:

My thoughts exactly. No need to go for the farthest targets. 

7 hours ago, Yukari said:

One thing I did not like is the amount of time we had to wait for a bay to open up.  Almost an hour.  This was about a 3-4 years ago and have not gone back since. 

I feel this completely. They offer reservations but IIRC its 25 bucks to reserve a bay, and that DOESN'T go towards your time. It's a full on extra charge. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

• 2 weeks later...
summerfunpass-share-01.jpg

Enjoy unlimited Topgolf game play for up to six people through Sept. 30, weekdays until 5 PM.

Thinking about getting this. I could get some practice in while having lunch occasionally during the week and be able to entertain clients and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

33 minutes ago, billchao said:
summerfunpass-share-01.jpg

Enjoy unlimited Topgolf game play for up to six people through Sept. 30, weekdays until 5 PM.

Thinking about getting this. I could get some practice in while having lunch occasionally during the week and be able to entertain clients and stuff.

That is actually a pretty slick deal if you have weekday time and clients to entertain. Put it on the company card, I say.

Just now, Bonvivant said:

That is actually a pretty slick deal if you have weekday time and clients to entertain. Put it on the company card, I say.

I can certainly make the time. TopGolf is 5 minutes from my house and in a central location for all my job sites, so I’m usually near it at least two or three times a week.

As far as clients, that’s just a bonus perk. I think I can get plenty of value out of the promotion just going by myself. I’ll have to call them and make sure that they have decent availability during the week where I can just show up anytime and be able to get a bay. My work isn’t structured enough to where I’d be able to plan going ahead of time and make reservations, and I’m also unlikely to be able to plan my work day around a TopGolf reservation.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I can certainly make the time. TopGolf is 5 minutes from my house and in a central location for all my job sites, so I’m usually near it at least two or three times a week.

As far as clients, that’s just a bonus perk. I think I can get plenty of value out of the promotion just going by myself. I’ll have to call them and make sure that they have decent availability during the week where I can just show up anytime and be able to get a bay. My work isn’t structured enough to where I’d be able to plan going ahead of time and make reservations, and I’m also unlikely to be able to plan my work day around a TopGolf reservation.

I'm sure that during most days they don't have a lot of traffic. More of a nighttime/weekend spot (at least the one in West Chester, just north of Cinci).

Beer selection good. Food bad. I've been twice here in Pittsburgh. I had fun both times, but don't expect an actual accurate golf competition. If you don't care about the accuracy part actually being judged, and just want to relax, good night out.

"Witty golf quote."

• 2 months later...

I've been to the one in Vegas and it's fun for what it is. There is one here in the Twin Cities so I'm sure I'll try it again at some point. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Note: This thread is 1316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!