Jump to content
criley4way

What Do You Say?

Does saying good shot on a decent or below average shot upset you?  

40 members have voted

  1. 1. Does saying good shot on a decent or below average shot upset you?

    • Yes
      6
    • No
      34


34 posts / 2021 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

It doesn't bother me. Unless it's my mother, who will tell me "nice shot" on literally every shot I hit. Just because it goes in the air, mother, doesn't mean it was a good shot. But that's a different topic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It doesn't bother me. Unless it's my mother, who will tell me "nice shot" on literally every shot I hit. Just because it goes in the air, mother, doesn't mean it was a good shot. But that's a different topic...

Your Mother loves you and wants to put a positive spin on everything you do.  Does she say "Nice putt" when your 20 footer rolls 12 feet past the hole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s kinda hard to tell if it is a good shot sometimes because you’re not the one striking the ball. You can kinda hear it to some degree but people often have different standards. Many times, better players will have good results but not hit it on the button—think Hideki’s countless good shot one arm finishers haha. 

I usually go with nothing at all or a “that’ll work” kind of thing. Being offended because someone compliments a decent shot is pretty lame. People like that are just looking for a reason to be upset about something. First world problems at its finest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For my buddies- a "fair or decent" shot might deserve a "good shot", because sometimes that is the best they can normally do. I don't comment on every shot and don't really hear if they say much, either. Usually for us, the better term is: "it's safe" or "it's dry".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes, but it's all relative to the situation.

There was one time, two of my friends and I were paired with a single. He would say "nice putt" after literally every single putt. It didn't matter if someone sunk a 15 footer or if one of us blew a 3 footer 5 feet past the hole. The first couple holes, we all figured he was just being friendly and thought nothing of it, but by the back 9 we were all pretty mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t say anything either way. Too many sensitive people out there you never know when you will run into one. Unless it was truly a great shot and I muttered it out loud.

Someone I got paired up with at a muni course called me a b**tch 15 times during our round - once after every good drive so I guess that was a compliment...I prefer a simple “nice shot”...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to admit that sometimes this can drive me right up the wall! But it depends. There's a guy we play with on occasion who will tell you "good shot"' even if you shank it dead out of bounds! And he will keep saying it until he gets a verbal response from you! One time a member of our group (not me) hit a really awful shot, and this guy launched into his "good shot" litany! "Good shot, good shot, good shot John, good shot, good shot." Finally "John" just blew up! 

He started yelling at the guy, "What in the hell are you talking about, good shot!? It wasn't a good shot, it was a horrible shot! Stop saying good shot!" I had to turn away because I was starting to lose it laughing! Believe me, this had been a topic of conversation among us for a while! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I have to admit that sometimes this can drive me right up the wall! But it depends. There's a guy we play with on occasion who will tell you "good shot"' even if you shank it dead out of bounds! And he will keep saying it until he gets a verbal response from you! One time a member of our group (not me) hit a really awful shot, and this guy launched into his "good shot" litany! "Good shot, good shot, good shot John, good shot, good shot." Finally "John" just blew up! 

He started yelling at the guy, "What in the hell are you talking about, good shot!? It wasn't a good shot, it was a horrible shot! Stop saying good shot!" I had to turn away because I was starting to lose it laughing! Believe me, this had been a topic of conversation among us for a while! 

It might have been interesting to turn the tables on this guy.  Wait until he hits a gawd-awful shot and then over-the-top compliment him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

 

Someone I got paired up with at a muni course called me a b**tch 15 times during our round - once after every good drive so I guess that was a compliment...I prefer a simple “nice shot”...

You have some SERIOUSLY WEIRD people in New Mexico...just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2020 at 8:48 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It might have been interesting to turn the tables on this guy.  Wait until he hits a gawd-awful shot and then over-the-top compliment him.

Well, that would have required us to be complimenting him nonstop! And, believe me, the thought occurred to me. This guy is horrible, but he's my buddy's Son's best friend! He doesn't get the chance to get out much, so we'll take him out on occasion. And he talks a good game! Brags all about previous rounds, and then hacks the crap out of the course when we play. 

Here's the difference between some people. Some people just have to talk, and other people can leave things unsaid. I'm one of the latter. One time out with this guy, after yanking yet another shot into the tall and uncut left, he said, "I can't remember the last time I played this bad!" I about had to bite a hole in my lip to keep from bursting out laughing!

My buddy and I got in the cart, and once his Son and the hack were out of earshot, I said, "He can't remember the last time he played this bad? I can! It was the last time we played with him!"  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This kind of stuff doesn’t really bother me that much, unless the person who said good shot was being sarcastic. I once had someone say it after I knocked one OB, which ticked me off.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:48 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

It might have been interesting to turn the tables on this guy.  Wait until he hits a gawd-awful shot and then over-the-top compliment him.

Good idea. Wait til he knocks one OB or in the water and say something like, “That shot was so good, you should join the tour!”

Edited by dagolfer18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

My buddy and I got in the cart, and once his Son and the hack were out of earshot, I said, "He can't remember the last time he played this bad? I can! It was the last time we played with him!"  

Don't be too hard on the guy...……..

Psychological trauma can also affect your memory. Memory loss is a natural survival skill and defense mechanism humans develop to protect themselves from psychological damage.

Crap, no wonder I cannot remember most of my rounds...……...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the group I used to play in, one of the guys would call you a certain expletive every time you hit a good shot, made a birdie etc. At the end of the round we could judge how well we played by the number of times you got called that name. "It was a ten $%$##$ round, I played really well!"

To answer the question, I don't really say "good shot" too often, but it doesn't bother me if someone else does. If it's not a good shot, I just chalk it up to the fact that maybe it's a good shot to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I lived in S. Korea, the Korean dudes would say "goo-shaa", their way off pronouncing good shot,  after every shot anyone took regardless of the outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...