nevets88

McIlroy Blindfolded vs 10-15 Handicap

23 posts / 1738 viewsLast Reply

I guess if there's someone assisting him, like you're 150 out, aim 10 degrees more to the right and he's blindfolded, no contest? Yeah, thanks for letting us know how bad we are Rory, Merry Christmas to you too. 😀

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I guess to make things interesting, he gets to see the shot to play, but not setup to ball, put then put the blindfold on him?

So he's just blindfolded for the swing? That's the part they need to see the least.

Didn't sports science do a segment with Jason Day hitting his driver blindfolded and he ended up hitting it slightly farther that way?

23 minutes ago, billchao said:

So he's just blindfolded for the swing? That's the part they need to see the least.

Didn't sports science do a segment with Jason Day hitting his driver blindfolded and he ended up hitting it slightly farther that way?

Well it’s really the only reasonable way to do it. It’s still impressive but any more ‘blindfolded’ than that wouldn’t be possible.  

20 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it’s really the only reasonable way to do it. It’s still impressive but any more ‘blindfolded’ than that wouldn’t be possible.  

Jeremy Poincenot begs to differ. In fact I bet the entire USBGA would argue that golf without sight is possible.

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

Jeremy Poincenot begs to differ. In fact I bet the entire USBGA would argue that golf without sight is possible.

That’s not what I meant. I don’t think a person who plays golf with sight, like Rory, could be blind folded completely and beat a 15hcp. 

Edited by Vinsk

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That’s not what I meant. I don’t think a person who plays golf with sight, like Rory, could be blind folded completely and beat a 15hcp. 

Agree.  Even a blind golfer or blind skier gets some guidance from an "assistant".

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Pretty sure Rory could play a whole round blindfolded with a caddie and beat a 15 handicap.

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

Pretty sure Rory could play a whole round blindfolded with a caddie and beat a 15 handicap.

Yep, with a caddie lining him up and giving him yardages, he'd easily beat a 15 handicapper.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

Yup. Checks out.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

with a caddie

You keep talking around me Bill. That’s the point. Rory would have to have some assistance in order to play blindfolded. You asked, ‘ He’s just blindfolded for the swing?’ Of course. Otherwise he’d have to have assistance.

Forget a 15 handicapper, he would decimate a single digit handicapper.  Heck, he would probably even beat someone playing close to par.  His ball striking is phenomenal

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

You keep talking around me Bill. That’s the point.

Not really. You were either beating around the bush or being vague with your actual meaning.

What you wrote was this:

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Which seemed to imply golf can't be played without being able to see at any other point in the round.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Rory would have to have some assistance in order to play blindfolded.

That's obvious. Even the USBGA plays with assistants.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

You asked, ‘ He’s just blindfolded for the swing?’ Of course.

Of course what? That's literally the part they can do with their eyes closed. It would be a lame "challenge."

More interesting would be if they blindfolded him for the entire round. I still think he'd win.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Otherwise he’d have to have assistance.

I don't know why you're hung up on this lack of assistance thing.

If that's really where you draw the line then yea obviously Rory won't beat a 15 handicap player while completely blindfolded without help. He'd probably trip and twist his ankle or break something on the first hole and the round would be over.

10 hours ago, billchao said:
12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Not really. You were either beating around the bush or being vague with your actual meaning.

No Bill. You asked if he’s ‘only blind during the shot.’  When else would he be able to be blind and not have assistance? That’s my point. You implied a devaluation of what he was doing as he was blinded ‘only during the shot.’ 

I just watched the video so ...    

Sorry, just cant see it (so to speak).  So, a score in the low mid 80s, yes?  Tee to green, if you've ever watched any of the Robin williams youtubes, is conceivable.  Putting is not mentioned.  As much as Rory misses the 3-5 footers (seems to me like a bunch), I can't agree with putting without visual feedback.  Thirty footers require 'seeing the line' so if one yanks the blinfold off as soon as contact is made, maybe.  But if blinfold is applied and held until ball is settled, It would just be impossible to feel how a putt with certain circumstances (lengths, breaks, uphill downhill) would act.  or how 'bout 50 footers or those slick 3 or 4 foot downhill breakers that require touch or a firm confident putt that may go 5' past if missed.  Whatever is said about the long game and how important it is to score, the putt has to go into that little hole. 

One question for me would be championship tees (7000+ yds) ?  That'd be a major factor for a 15 I'd say.  

Iacas is confident, have you ever played a hole blindfolded in this fashion ?  or putted ?  Tell us about it.