IGNORED

Iron Fitting on Saturday at Club Champion

Note: This thread is 1547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, luchnia said:

Did you buy the fitted clubs and if so, how did that improve your game?

I don't recommend buying from CC although the fitting was very good.   I just wanted new clubs.   My game hasn't changed much

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, luchnia said:

How much have you played while you were taking your lessons?

I play at least once a week, and try to get a lesson once a month. Since I setup a net and mat in my yard, I also practice daily too. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

OK, first time posting here. I am a high handicapper (25) who is really working hard to get better. Always struggle with being over the top. I fell into thinking that I should go get fit and this would, of course, improve my game, so I booked an iron fitting at CC a few days ago.

The experience at CC felt very rushed to me, hit five balls each with a six iron, pop in a few different shafts, all of the sudden it's "I'm going to build you the set with the Mizuno heads and the blah blah shafts...." This was after I had hit nothing but weak ass push fades that would have embarrassed a 100lb woman. I was still trying to warm up and find my swing and we were already talking about a major purchase.

I know enough about TrackMan numbers to see that I was swinging out to in with a slightly open face, hence the push fades. I suddenly realized how ridiculous it was to even be considering new clubs. He kept talking about the "new technology" but really, what has changed in perimeter weighted clubs over the last ten years? Nothing that my not very old Callaways with regular shafts couldn't match.

When I said that I wasn't going to be buying a new set of irons, I could tell that the fitter was done with me and just wanted me out the door. This was 35 minutes into my 90 minute "fitting."

To be fair, I did see slight increase in the distance of my push fade, and he did tell me to get 2° upright lie angles, which I suppose would put a band-aid on my high-handle OTT crap swing. But I'm not dropping $1800 on that.

When I got the print out of my specs, of course the shaft was not available as an OEM standard option, so they were almost $90 each, and of course they had to be PUREd at an extra cost of $30 per. Grips were $10 each for standard tour wraps.

I left quite a bit disappointed in the process and CC. Would not recommend to anyone.

On 1/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, Hackasaurus Rex said:

OK, first time posting here. I am a high handicapper (25) who is really working hard to get better. Always struggle with being over the top. I fell into thinking that I should go get fit and this would, of course, improve my game, so I booked an iron fitting at CC a few days ago.

The experience at CC felt very rushed to me, hit five balls each with a six iron, pop in a few different shafts, all of the sudden it's "I'm going to build you the set with the Mizuno heads and the blah blah shafts...." This was after I had hit nothing but weak ass push fades that would have embarrassed a 100lb woman. I was still trying to warm up and find my swing and we were already talking about a major purchase.

I know enough about TrackMan numbers to see that I was swinging out to in with a slightly open face, hence the push fades. I suddenly realized how ridiculous it was to even be considering new clubs. He kept talking about the "new technology" but really, what has changed in perimeter weighted clubs over the last ten years? Nothing that my not very old Callaways with regular shafts couldn't match.

When I said that I wasn't going to be buying a new set of irons, I could tell that the fitter was done with me and just wanted me out the door. This was 35 minutes into my 90 minute "fitting."

To be fair, I did see slight increase in the distance of my push fade, and he did tell me to get 2° upright lie angles, which I suppose would put a band-aid on my high-handle OTT crap swing. But I'm not dropping $1800 on that.

When I got the print out of my specs, of course the shaft was not available as an OEM standard option, so they were almost $90 each, and of course they had to be PUREd at an extra cost of $30 per. Grips were $10 each for standard tour wraps.

I left quite a bit disappointed in the process and CC. Would not recommend to anyone.

It's salesmen like this that give "fittings" a bad name.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, Hackasaurus Rex said:

That totally sucks big time. I was so close to considering CC for a fitting, but I read so much about the over the top pricing and decided when I am ready I will go back to a couple guys that are up front and ask straight away what your budget is and they work to fit the best possible equipment to your budget. They don't try to sell you anything that you do not need.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, Hackasaurus Rex said:

Unfortunately, what you experienced seems to be a disconnect between what you need and what services they offer. Had you gotten your fitting from a local pro, Golftec, or Callaway Performance Center, I’d be willing to bet your fitter would have steered you in the direction of lessons, which you clearly need more than a new set of clubs.

Club Champion doesn’t offer lessons, so of course they’re going to try to sell you on the latest technology and what have you. It’s the only service they can offer you and the only additional income they can earn. Unfortunately the feeling you got from the fitter that you stopped being important is just a lack of professionalism on his part. You did pay for his time, so he should still have given the full service experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Unfortunately, what you experienced seems to be a disconnect between what you need and what services they offer. Had you gotten your fitting from a local pro, Golftec, or Callaway Performance Center, I’d be willing to bet your fitter would have steered you in the direction of lessons, which you clearly need more than a new set of clubs.

Club Champion doesn’t offer lessons, so of course they’re going to try to sell you on the latest technology and what have you. It’s the only service they can offer you and the only additional income they can earn. Unfortunately the feeling you got from the fitter that you stopped being important is just a lack of professionalism on his part. You did pay for his time, so he should still have given the full service experience.

I was reminded that, after 20+ years without golfing, my father-in-law recently started playing again. He's 73, has no cartilage in his knees, and has a swing that would make Charles Barkley chuckle. He went to get "fitted" and ended up with a set of standard issue Taylor Mades with a stiff shaft. I don't doubt that there are good club fitters around. Truly, someone honest would say, "hey, I'd love to sell you a set of clubs but it would be wrong at this stage, because you really need some lessons!"

4 hours ago, Hackasaurus Rex said:

I was reminded that, after 20+ years without golfing, my father-in-law recently started playing again. He's 73, has no cartilage in his knees, and has a swing that would make Charles Barkley chuckle. He went to get "fitted" and ended up with a set of standard issue Taylor Mades with a stiff shaft. I don't doubt that there are good club fitters around. Truly, someone honest would say, "hey, I'd love to sell you a set of clubs but it would be wrong at this stage, because you really need some lessons!"

Wow, that is crazy.  I realize the CC guys are club fitters not instructors.  But, the likelihood of a 73 yr old fitting into a stiff shaft seems highly unlikely.  

1 minute ago, txgolfer45 said:

Wow, that is crazy.  I realize the CC guys are club fitters not instructors.  But, the likelihood of a 73 yr old fitting into a stiff shaft seems highly unlikely.  

Yes, I think he just happened to "fit" an unsold set of last year's irons!

5 hours ago, Hackasaurus Rex said:

32 minutes ago, txgolfer45 said:

Just for clarity: he was NOT fitted at CC but at a private club.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:28 PM, billchao said:

Question for ya: my skill level is similar to the OP here in that lessons are going to help me more than new clubs (which I am doing).  However, I've also been told by my teacher and from some very experienced golfing friends that I would benefit from some new clubs, as my current are hand-me-downs, and while I did get them sized to me, are not the type that they would pick.  They also mentioned that it's possible the re-sizing multiple times has not worked to my benefit.

So, how do I go about picking clubs if a fitting as described by the OP could occur?  My friends have actually recommended club champion and I was considering it, but was worried I would have an experience like the OP did if I came in and was swinging poorly.

14 minutes ago, Effington said:

Question for ya: my skill level is similar to the OP here in that lessons are going to help me more than new clubs (which I am doing).  However, I've also been told by my teacher and from some very experienced golfing friends that I would benefit from some new clubs, as my current are hand-me-downs, and while I did get them sized to me, are not the type that they would pick.  They also mentioned that it's possible the re-sizing multiple times has not worked to my benefit.

So, how do I go about picking clubs if a fitting as described by the OP could occur?  My friends have actually recommended club champion and I was considering it, but was worried I would have an experience like the OP did if I came in and was swinging poorly.

I’m going to assume you meant your skill level is close to @Hackasaurus Rex, since the OP is a 5 handicap.

Anyway, it really depends on what clubs you currently play and how old they are, as well as your skill level. What exactly is it about them that you (and others) feel is holding you back? If you feel like you should get an upgrade as a high handicap player, most people would point you towards previous model year clubs. They will perform similarly to the latest releases, but they’re cheaper. Depending on your skill level, you might not need a tour-style fitting, as a lot of that has to do with finding the exact combination of shaft and heads to fine tune performance. A properly fitted club can only do so much if your ballstriking isn’t very consistent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, Effington said:

Ebay or Craigslist. I have a set of Ping i5 irons I got on CL in VG condition for around $120. Same thing with my Callaway X18 Pros from Ebay for around the same price. I am a 100% average male (5'11", 180lbs) so I just went with standard length and lie. These sets are both 15 years old but, with my game, I can't justify big $$ clubs or expensive greens fees. Maybe one day...

CallawayGolfPreowned.com has some great deals, too. 

Edited by Hackasaurus Rex

2 hours ago, Hackasaurus Rex said:

Ebay or Craigslist...These sets are both 15 years old...

I meant to add that the "technology" really hasn't changed much in the last 20 years. Perimeter weighting and low COG has been around for a long time. A good swing is far more important than $1000 clubs, or, as they say, it's the Indian and not the arrow.

I had a lesson with Ted Fort a few months ago and, after doing my usual garbage, I handed him my Ping 8 iron, which he smashed 160 yards on a rope. So I know if I hit a crap shot with my Pings, it ain't the clubs!

On 1/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, Hackasaurus Rex said:

Yes, I think he just happened to "fit" an unsold set of last year's irons!

Ya....the stiff shafts might have not been suitable...but some stiff shafts on stock iron sets came be a bit soft.

I had a set of 2013 Cobra Amp Cell irons with stiff DG lightweight steel shafts...they were too whippy....ended up selling them in 18 months for what I had paid for them.

I was recovering from an injured back when I bought them...and as my swing came back...they became too soft for my swing.

16 hours ago, billchao said:

Anyway, it really depends on what clubs you currently play and how old they are, as well as your skill level. What exactly is it about them that you (and others) feel is holding you back? If you feel like you should get an upgrade as a high handicap player, most people would point you towards previous model year clubs. They will perform similarly to the latest releases, but they’re cheaper. Depending on your skill level, you might not need a tour-style fitting, as a lot of that has to do with finding the exact combination of shaft and heads to fine tune performance. A properly fitted club can only do so much if your ballstriking isn’t very consistent.

this.....

22 hours ago, billchao said:

I’m going to assume you meant your skill level is close to @Hackasaurus Rex, since the OP is a 5 handicap.

Thanks, yes I was indeed referring to Hackasaurus Rex, as I am a super high handicapper and not a single digit, thank you for catching that!

For irons I have Taylormade burner plus which have been adjusted a few times throughout the years and it was suggested that the lie is not correct for me, and that adjusting it again can risk breaking it.  I believe they're about 8-10 years old.  The two clubs I use the most are a 30 degree hybrid from the Bobby Jones collection, which I enjoy but my teacher said the shaft is too stiff.  He gave me another club to swing and I did have noticeably better results.  I'm very short and he mentioned that when you cut a club down, it makes it more stiff (like snapping a twig in half, it gets increasingly harder to break when smaller).  My driver is a Callaway Big Bertha that has a big draw bias, but I already have a draw so it exaggerates it.  It was a hand-me-down from a family member who had a big slice.

I'm definitely OK with a model from a year or two ago, but I'm trying to figure out what the best models are for me.  I was thinking the club champion route was going to get me there, but if there are better alternatives out there I'd love to know.

Thanks again!

Club Champion probably won't have older clubs for your to hit.  They will be considerably more expensive than most other places.    Is there a Golftec / Golf Galaxy near you?   They use to carry used clubs and you could hit them to compare numbers from their launch monitor.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!