IGNORED

Getting to Scratch in 18 Months?

golflover123
Note: This thread is 1564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, leftybutnotPM said:

This is not a joke forum is it?

OK - here's a joke for you:

My response to the OP is - "Sure. If only I had the time I think I could do it. K.J. Choi picked up golf later in life and Ian Poulter was a 4 handicap when he turned pro. Greg Norman never touched a golf club until he was 16. Anything is possible. I reckon you can do it if you really want it badly enough.  

Care to name anyone who's gone from beginner to scratch in 18 months? part from Greg Norman, of course. ;-)

Name a beginner that hits that many balls and has a coach. It's a rare thing to have that much time to practice the game. If he isn't lying, and is hitting that many balls, he is probably in the 0.02% of golfers that practices that much. I would give that tiny group a reasonable chance of getting to low single digits or scratch in that time frame.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Bonvivant said:

Name a beginner that hits that many balls and has a coach. It's a rare thing to have that much time to practice the game. If he isn't lying, and is hitting that many balls, he is probably in the 0.02% of golfers that practices that much. I would give that tiny group a reasonable chance of getting to low single digits or scratch in that time frame.

He isn't lying, he just doesn't know. I wish him all the best. He needs to be asking better questions.

The 16 year olds who look about 12 who play off +3 (I saw one the other day) weren't on forums at 14 asking strangers who'd never seen them how good they were. They were working on their game,

He isn't lying, he just doesn't know. I wish him all the best. He needs to be asking better questions.

The 16 year olds who look about 12 who play off +3 (I saw one the other day) weren't on forums at 14 asking strangers who'd never seen them how good they were. They were working on their game,

He hasn't been back since the day he asked, no? Seems like he has better things to do, like hitting those 500 balls. I think it would be silly for him to ask for advice on swing mechanics, equipment choice, and other things of that nature. He has a coach (hopefully one that works well with him) and that is where he should be taking his golf advice from IMO. He asked 2 questions that were related to his long term progress potential, got answers from many, some of which were sarcastic or discouraging, and has been MIA since. I can only hope that the haters lit a fire under his bum and he started hitting 750 a day after he saw the comments (if he even has).

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

7 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

He asked 2 questions that were related to his long term progress potential, got answers from many, some of which were sarcastic or discouraging, and has been MIA since.

Here are questions he asked in another thread. Get the picture? Do you think they're the right questions?

"what separate the average player to a great player is it short game knowing the course your playing  the mental side."

Edited by leftybutnotPM

4 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

He hasn't been back since the day he asked, no? Seems like he has better things to do, like hitting those 500 balls. I think it would be silly for him to ask for advice on swing mechanics, equipment choice, and other things of that nature. He has a coach (hopefully one that works well with him) and that is where he should be taking his golf advice from IMO. He asked 2 questions that were related to his long term progress potential, got answers from many, some of which were sarcastic or discouraging, and has been MIA since. I can only hope that the haters lit a fire under his bum and he started hitting 750 a day after he saw the comments (if he even has).

Actually, he’s started 3 threads that could be construed as troll worthy, but hasn’t participated in any of the subsequent discussions since. 

I’ll leave others to draw their conclusions, but I’ve drawn mine...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had a goal several months ago that I would get down to scratch by the time I graduated from high school in June 2022 (a little under two-and-a-half years from now), given that I’m on the brink of breaking 90 consistently. I’ve thought about it and realized that goal is a bit out of reach, and I decided I was gonna try to get to a 6 by that time, then get to scratch, maybe even +1 or +2 by my senior year in college (2025-26). If all goes well, I’ll play in the U.S. Amateur after I graduate.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

2 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

1) I stand my my comment. Why would you ask people who've never seen you play?

2) This guy has never seen a super low handicap player and has never seen a playing professional in the flesh.

3) Go and look at all of the threads of this nature. It is littered with tales of a desire/promise of "domination  on the Mackenzie Tour" and always devolves into a search for different clubs, and scores in "tournies" in the 90s.

1) I think the OP might have asked his coach if getting to scratch was possible in 18 months....the coach might have said..".let's get to 9 ASAP and then we can re-evaluate if scratch is still in sight in the near future"...he might not have liked the coach's answer and came here to ask strangers who have never seen his game/swing if scratch is possible in 18 months.

If his coach was any good...he would be capable of advising the OP. Who knows.....maybe the OP only see his coach 2-3 a month?

2) I think the OP is a teenager and yes...naive..... and has never seen a real scratch or a really talented player on a course for 18 holes.

I believe it doesn't take long for any golfer (who is honest with themselves)  to determine soon enough if they are truly capable of being scratch.

There are a lot of naive golfers....I've played with many, many golfers (I've golfed for 51 years) who thought I was scratch or a 2-3 cap....I might have played well on the front 9...maybe even 1 over....I laugh at these guys....I tell them they have NEVER played with a 'REAL' scratch player because they'd know there is a HUGE difference of my playing ability (I've been a 6-7 cap for 38 years) vs. a scratch....they think I'm lying and I tell them just wait...you might see me choke it up on the back 9....lol.

3) Hey...don't beat up on Diece....he played 2 rds in a golf league in the Toronto area.....91 and 85 on 6500 and 6700 yd courses.

I know it happens...but I'm kinda shocked but not surprised how many scores in the 90's in local and even provincial tournaments I see in the championship flight.....caps of below 2-3....though we all know there are far more vanity caps...vs sandbag caps.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Actually, he’s started 3 threads that could be construed as troll worthy, but hasn’t participated in any of the subsequent discussions since. 

True dat.

10 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

This is not a joke forum is it? Does every post have to be affirming and positive?

OK - here's a joke for you:

My response to the OP is - "Sure. If only I had the time I think I could do it. K.J. Choi picked up golf later in life and Ian Poulter was a 4 handicap when he turned pro. Greg Norman never touched a golf club until he was 16. Anything is possible. I reckon you can do it if you really want it badly enough.  

Care to name anyone who's gone from beginner to scratch in 18 months? Apart from Greg Norman, of course. ;-)

Calvin Peete, and he was older than Norman.

Peete reached scratch in 18 months and became a pro at age 28.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

If he's hitting 500 balls a day, or more, he probably isn't practicing properly.  Firing off shots machine-gun style doesn't generally help in making any positive changes, it usually just reinforces whatever bad habits he has already.  

And he actually asked 3 questions.  First, what does he need to do to get to scratch in 18 months.  Second, what does he need to do to play golf for a Division 1 university.  Third, what separates average players from great ones.  and hasn't signed on since then to read any of the responses..  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And he actually asked 3 questions.  First, what does he need to do to get to scratch in 18 months.  Second, what does he need to do to play golf for a Division 1 university.  Third, what separates average players from great ones.  and hasn't signed on since then to read any of the responses..  

Poser???

17 hours ago, David in FL said:

He's busy at the range...…  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

• Administrator
4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

and hasn't signed on since then to read any of the responses..  

He last logged on 18 hours ago. So you don't know that.

But I do agree it would be nice if @golflover123 would reply with some thoughts or acknowledge the replies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/2/2020 at 12:44 PM, leftybutnotPM said:

i probably should of but i read Greg  norman did it and i thought more people did that improvement i know i would never get that good but it was a kind of question ask on how much you would of have to practice it that time frame to get that good 

On 1/2/2020 at 1:12 AM, David in FL said:

You can have the best short game in the world, but without a very good full swing, you’ll struggle to get to single digits, let alone even approach scratch.

Welcome to the site!   :beer:

but if you have the best swing ever but can't putt or chip you can't get low scores they all work together 

1 hour ago, golflover123 said:

i probably should of but i read Greg  norman did it and i thought more people did that improvement i know i would never get that good but it was a kind of question ask on how much you would of have to practice it that time frame to get that good 

but if you have the best swing ever but can't putt or chip you can't get low scores they all work together 

The vast majority of golfers could practice for 2 hours a day and not improve that much after 2 years or so. Golfers reach their potential quite rapidly. There is always room for improvement, but what you will find is that REALLY good players didn't become really good after 20 years. They improved exponentially within a few short years. Virtually every PGATour pro you see on TV would have been playing off a plus handicap at 15.

For every one of those people there are millions of guys who hit it OK but have played off 15 or whatever for 30 years.

The ability to devote time to improve doesn't necessarily lead to the kinds of results people might like.

If a guy played off a genuine handicap of 12 and really dedicated himself with good instruction, an improvemnt from 12 to 8 might be seen as a tremendous improvement and a worthwhile return on effort.

The more you play you will realise that scores are ruined by two or three shots in a round, not a dozen. The one or two bad swings lead to big scores. A player off 3 can play 5 over his handicap because he had two three putts, and one drive into trouble.

SO.... time spent practising isn't an indicator of a rate or limit of improvement. A super talented 12 year old might go fro 14 to +1 in 3 years. An athletic 30 year old might go from 18 to 12 and stay there. Most people don't really improve that much after a few years of playing.

The vast majority of golfers could practice for 2 hours a day and not improve that much after 2 years or so. Golfers reach their potential quite rapidly. There is always room for improvement, but what you will find is that REALLY good players didn't become really good after 20 years. They improved exponentially within a few short years. Virtually every PGATour pro you see on TV would have been playing off a plus handicap at 15.

For every one of those people there are millions of guys who hit it OK but have played off 15 or whatever for 30 years.

The ability to devote time to improve doesn't necessarily lead to the kinds of results people might like.

If a guy played off a genuine handicap of 12 and really dedicated himself with good instruction, an improvemnt from 12 to 8 might be seen as a tremendous improvement and a worthwhile return on effort.

The more you play you will realise that scores are ruined by two or three shots in a round, not a dozen. The one or two bad swings lead to big scores. A player off 3 can play 5 over his handicap because he had two three putts, and one drive into trouble.

SO.... time spent practising isn't an indicator of a rate or limit of improvement. A super talented 12 year old might go fro 14 to +1 in 3 years. An athletic 30 year old might go from 18 to 12 and stay there. Most people don't really improve that much after a few years of playing.

agree with you i see alot of kids getting good really quick like rapidly guick fast so i thought they keep it up. and i am improving at a good rate but don't sure if i will keeping improving at the same rate i think if you want to good pro you have to start 4-10 years old to get the best chance 

7 hours ago, golflover123 said:

Not true.

If, right now, you had Tiger Woods’ golf game all the way to the green, and your current chipping and putting ability, you would be a very very good player.  Not PGA Tour quality, but better than scratch!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, golflover123 said:

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

If, right now, you had Tiger Woods’ golf game all the way to the green, and your current chipping and putting ability, you would be a very very good player.  Not PGA Tour quality, but better than scratch!

I have a friend who is an excellent putter, and has a much better short game compared to me, but he can't break 100 because by the time his ball is near the green, he's already laying 5, 6 or 7. About 15 months ago, me and my friend were equal when it came to golf, but I invested in full swing lessons, and he did nothing, and now I'm easily 10-15 strokes better than him. Full swing is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1564 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!