IGNORED

The Most Demoralizing Shot in Golf

Double Mocha Man

Fat wedge.  Less than a hundred yards, and the ball goes shorter than the divot.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, bwdial said:

Fat wedge.  Less than a hundred yards, and the ball goes shorter than the divot.

I hate those! Mine will skull toward the green and end up usually in a worse lie.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

The course I play most really favors a fade off every tee but one, but that's based on the shape of the holes. The thing is, there's more trouble on the right side at the same time, so a push slice would be the worst shot for me. Even a duck hook leaves the fairway in front of you.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

Skull f*** a pitch that flies 20 yds past the green and out-of-bounds,.    pretty much the only thing in golf that makes me want to walk off the course.   

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

17 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

Shank.  It pops up out of nowhere and hits the ball into the nether reaches.  😄😂🤨😩

I would agree, a shank is demoralizing to your score, adding 2-3 strokes on that hole.  And it wrecks your confidence.  But even the touring pros hit those.  Though they never lay sod (to any great degree) over a wedge shot or take 3 to get out of a bunker.

Rather than focusing on the length of a missed putt, I'd like to offer a different point of view, while staying in the genre of the most demoralizing shot being a putt. 

Having to take a third putt, THAT, is the most demoralizing shot in golf. 

F 3-Putts! F them right in the A!!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

For me, it has to be hitting a rare perfect drive that leaves me with a partial wedge into the green, then either hitting my divot farther than the ball or cutting the ball in half and putting it the same distance from the hole, just on the other side of the green. Either that or the stubbed/skulled chip from the fringe when you should have a relatively straight forward up and down. Unfortunately, my attraction to blow up holes leads to these happening in succession all too often.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

8 hours ago, tluke282 said:

Short wedge over a green side bunker and it drops in the bunker.

I call this outcome the biggest cliche’ in golf.  You watch someone face this shot and know damn well their next shot will be out of the bunker.  

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 12/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, Vinsk said:

I haven’t hit a shank in over a month😃. But come on people, nothing is more demoralizing than a shank. 

My vote goes to the shank.  Even the word alone is demoralizing.   I remember hitting one a few years ago and it’s just so surprising....but it’s the worst shot in golf.

The 3.5 foot birdie putt has me thinking but unless you missed the putt 4 feet right if the hole, chances are it was close to being good.

A shank has nothing in it that resembles anything near good.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:10 PM, phillyk said:

3 putt pars.  3 putt bogies suck, but its so much worse when you're staring at an eagle chance and 3 putt.  

How about an eagle chance and 4 putt for bogey?

A short chip chunked. Terrible. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Hitting fat shots is the worst for me, followed by duffing a chip, then missing short putts or shanks are annoying but an anomaly

I’ve got another nominee: a shanked fairway wood. Yes. A shanked WOOD. I had to experience this horror the other day when playing. I was standing in the fairway of the par-5 ninth, about 270 out, 3W in hand. I thought, “Just a great opportunity to score.” Then I proceeded to pull-draw my shot OB. Wait for it. Then, I put the 3W back and pulled the 5W. Then the thing cropped up out of nowhere. Hit it into the trees, 60 yards to the right of me. I thought, “Where the heck did that come from?” Then I did it again. Made a 9. Uuuugggghhhh.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

20 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I’ve got another nominee: a shanked fairway wood. Yes. A shanked WOOD. I had to experience this horror the other day when playing. I was standing in the fairway of the par-5 ninth, about 270 out, 3W in hand. I thought, “Just a great opportunity to score.” Then I proceeded to pull-draw my shot OB. Wait for it. Then, I put the 3W back and pulled the 5W. Then the thing cropped up out of nowhere. Hit it into the trees, 60 yards to the right of me. I thought, “Where the heck did that come from?” Then I did it again. Made a 9. Uuuugggghhhh.

I have learned that great opportunities to score are a mirage for someone of my skill until the ball is on the green.