IGNORED

The Most Demoralizing Shot in Golf

Double Mocha Man

• 8 months later...
17 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A hard pull-hook off the 1st tee into the woods.  In a tournament.  I get the opportunity to do this on Monday in a Pro-Am.  Can't wait to embarrass myself.  

Back in Oklahoma I was in a tournament at a county club. First tee unfortunately has OB left which is the parking lot. Normally not too bad…but I have to hit an iron off the tee as it’s a severe dogleg right with hazards about where I’d land with driver if I cut the corner which I probably couldn’t anyway. To avoid going through the fairway I had to hit a 5i. Any iron of course introduces my notorious shank. 

Well it just so happened that some patrons decided to abandon their lunches and gather around the first tee to watch us tee off. With a cool sweat developing on my forehead and puckered up like a frog in a flood, I shanked it cold. ‘Fortunately’ the ball violently cleared the parking lot full of cars and hit a maintenance shack. 

Probably the most chilling aspect was the absolute silence from the crowd other than a young boy yelling ‘ wow! Did you see that?’ 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well it just so happened that some patrons decided to abandon their lunches and gather around the first tee to watch us tee off.

That's the worst part... with others watching.  And judging, of course.

Well, at least the patrons didn't lose their lunch over your shot.😁  Thanks for sharing your pain, Kevin.

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Back in Oklahoma I was in a tournament at a county club. First tee unfortunately has OB left which is the parking lot. Normally not too bad…but I have to hit an iron off the tee as it’s a severe dogleg right with hazards about where I’d land with driver if I cut the corner which I probably couldn’t anyway. To avoid going through the fairway I had to hit a 5i. Any iron of course introduces my notorious shank. 

Well it just so happened that some patrons decided to abandon their lunches and gather around the first tee to watch us tee off. With a cool sweat developing on my forehead and puckered up like a frog in a flood, I shanked it cold. ‘Fortunately’ the ball violently cleared the parking lot full of cars and hit a maintenance shack. 

Probably the most chilling aspect was the absolute silence from the crowd other than a young boy yelling ‘ wow! Did you see that?’ 

I saw something like this happen at an event I played in this summer. We were doing a closest to the pin contest, with everyone in the event watching. About 80 people. A guy stepped up and hit a cold shank into a maintenance lot. Fortunately, it bounced into a dumpster that was in the lot, rather than hitting anything else. It was pretty hilarious, although I felt pretty bad for the guy.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A hard pull-hook off the 1st tee into the woods.  In a tournament.  I get the opportunity to do this on Monday in a Pro-Am.  Can't wait to embarrass myself.  

So that shot will be the beginning of your myswing thread? Or ill make sure our chapter director takes a video to post to instagram as we are the highlight group 😁 

I’ve hit a couple double crosses recently. Hopefully that doesn’t show up on hole 4. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I had a really bad one a few years ago.   I used to belong to a club that had a higher than normal percentage of jerks.  I was playing later in the day and it wasn't too busy.   I teed off behind a threesome and there was no one effectively behind me.  I figured I would either catch them or they would wave me thru.   I didn't know what was in front of them, the course wound it's way thru a housing complex, so it was hard to see ahead of the hole you were on.

If I pulled up behind them on the tee, they ignored me and drove off.   Didn't get much chance to drive up to them and ask if I could play along or thru.   By the turn, I didn't want to play with them, they were very standoff-ish.   I kept getting madder and madder because they were slow too.  On track for 5 hour round.

I have no idea why, but they decided when they were in the 16th fairway to wave me thru.   I hit a reasonable drive and then drove down.   I didn't say a word to them and they didn't say anything to me.   I was so mad, I grabbed a club and took a swing.  Ended up moving too much on my downswing and I almost missed the ball and hit the side of hit, banging into the cart.   I grabbed my ball, didn't say anything and drove off to the next hole.

There was no one on 17 or 18 as far as I could see.   I played them quick.  So they had room in front and waited until halfway down 16 to wave me thru.  I waited every shot for a few minutes most times.   I didn't know them, in fact I think they must have been guests or someone who didn't play there a lot.  So I don't know why in the world they were so rude.

But yeah, hit the cart 90 degrees and 4 feet away from it.

Edited by imsys0042

—Adam

Hitting driver off the tee past the water on a tight fairway risk/reward short par 4 with water right. Then enjoying the reward by shanking my 50 yard pitch into the water!  

I mean... it has to be the duffed chip that still isn’t on the green, right? 

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Chimed in on this last December.  Most recent demoralized shot - par 3 over water, shank the tee hard right onto the cart path behind the previous hole.  Decide to re-tee and DO IT AGAIN!  Except that one went deep diving into the water.  I gave up and put a 7 on the card and went to the next hole.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Mine is a double feature.  It starts with an easy chip that I  do not commit to and decelerate on my downswing resulting in a chunk well short of the green.  Determined not to repeat my mistake I fully commit to the next swing and blade it over the green into the jungle behind the green never to be seen again.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Topping a driver.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone reported whiffing a shot?   I think it was last year, but someone in my Sunday game took his normal practice swing and then looked like a second one after he seemed to address the ball.

He then hit and calmly said "Yes, that was a f***ing whiff.   I'm done"

—Adam

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Topping a driver.

Topping a driver sucks. However, it is soon forgotten. Sliding right under the ball and skying it straight up with the driver is far worse. It leaves an idiot mark on your driver crown as a constant reminder to your own futility. Which you are forced to look at every time you address the ball with your driver from that moment forward. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.