IGNORED

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

iacas
Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Finally knocked off another birdie on the challenge!!! This one was exciting, because I birdied a hole that I’ve been wanting to birdie since this challenge even started. The hole in question was the 8th hole at my home course, a short (318 from whites) but difficult par-4. 

The hole requires a tee shot of 160-175 yards before it doglegs to the left. I got a bit quick with a 6I and sliced it, leaving me an approach of about 180 yards out of rough that’s getting longer every time I play the course. The rough at my home course as of right now is sort of thick, but you can get away with hitting a hybrid or higher-lifted wood. Probably not a 3W.

In this instance, I hit a 5H and knew the minute it came off the face it was gonna be good. Landed in the front of the green and rolled to the back where the pin was, and it settled less than a yard from the cup. Nerves buzzing just a bit, I rolled in the putt.

The reason I’ve been wanting to birdie this hole so badly is because before today, the eighth hole was the only hole on the front nine I’d not birdied in my two and a half years of playing this course. So it was nice to get this one off my chest.

I’m exactly halfway there now, with just over five months to go. I don’t know whether I’ll get all 18, but I’d like to get to at least 13 or 14.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FINALLY!!!!  I have ended the longest streak to start a season without a Birdie. It has literally been decades that has taken me so long into a season to get that first Birdie.  Really, decades not years.  And wow was it oh so nice.

#4 is a Par 5. Tree jail along the right side, fairway bunker on the left in driving range, catch the top of a hill on your drive and you can get a nice roll out - BUT - you have to really nail that sucker to do it. It gets narrow at the end with a decent sized pond protecting the front and right side of the green.  There are 2 sand bunkers behind the pond in front of the green as well as bunkers on the left side.  Going long is way bad.

With a tailwind last night - note with a tailwind i nailed my Drive and it caught just the backside of the hill and got a fantastic bounce forward and roll.  My 2nd shot i hit a wedge into the green, i had to go down 2 clubs due to the wind and stuck it center back of the green.

i had a massive putt for Eagle so all i focused on was getting it as tight as possible for a Birdie.  i hit a great putt and left myself with a 2 footer.  Confidently i planted that 2 foot putt in the cup and felt like i had just won the US Open! 

July 27th at 5:35PM i got my 1st Birdie of the year and i 2 putted for it 🙂 The Drought has Ended!  

• Thumbs Up 1

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

Haven't posted in here for a while but decided to join the challenge! I have counted 7 rounds on my home course this year (3 of them 9 hole-rounds) and got to 9 birdies. Try to make some more during August and the rest of the season. Season here started at the end of April. My home club has 36-holes, I selected our easier course for the birdie watch 🙂 Good luck to everyone!

Played 9 holes this morning, ended up getting 2 pars for my par challenge on the composite side.  Only one hole remains there.

• Thumbs Up 1

picked up a birdie on #15.    151 ys par 3.   hit it to 20ft, made the putt.  (also, birdied #16....    again)

Finally, Par'd #11.   3w - 240 down the middle, 4i 195 to 15 ft, 2 putts.   been trying to check that one off for weeks.   

Par challenge complete. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Picked up my first pars on #17 & #18 yesterday.  Both are Par 5s and play uphill long at the end.  Hit both fairways with my drive, #17 i smoked the drive and hit a nice 2nd shot with my 3 Utility Iron pin high right of the green.  I was nervous on the chip and almost flubbed it but managed to get it on the green.  I hit a great putt and left a tap in. 

#18 i hit a nice drive in the fairway and stayed aggressive by hitting a 5 wood.  Pin high right of the green and nerves almost got my again.  I managed to get my chip on the green and hit a great putt from 30+" with a monster break right to left.  The putt rolled right around the lip of the cup and left me with a 1/2" tap in.

Now all i have left to Par is #16, a long Par 4.  Wow it sure felt uplifting to finally have gotten Pars on #17 & #18

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, TourSpoon said:

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

Played a new course today and birdied 11 and 15. No help! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator

Oh I almost forgot about this…

Let's see… Ooh, I got to check off hole #6 on my composite (away) list!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Birdied the 5th hole at my home course today. Pulled the drive a little left which is the good miss on the hole. I still managed to hit it far enough to get over the hill and down to the flat spot at the bottom. Pushed my 2h towards the trees on the right but I had a clear shot into the green. Hit a 3/4 LW to about 12' and made the putt.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Love this!  Interesting I am much better on the front nine than the back... I think because I have played the front 9 more often, as sometimes I only have time for 9 holes.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, TourSpoon said:

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

Added number 4 to the list today. I missed a 4 footer on 6 and as I was walking off the green I remembered thinking about needing it for the composite. 🤣

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Finished the away composite for the par challenge today with a par on 17.  Will keep tracking birdies.  Setting a goal to get 6 by season's end.  We'll see about setting another goal if i get there.

Played the back 9 at first dawn this morning and birdie hole 16 - the easiest par 4 on the course, but a first for me this year. 

I am now sitting at 8 under, but the bad news is that every "easy" hole on the course has now been checked off. Every birdie from this point forward is going to take some good golf shots and/or some luck, both of which have been in short supply this year....

Two new pars today... albeit off the forward tees - both par 3 - 136 and 149 yards (from the forward tees).

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Six round of the year, improved by one each on three holes, each of which is a par-3.

Birided the par-3 3rd today, previously had parred.

Parred par-3 8th and 16th today, previously had bogeyed each.

Fun story:  when I was doing something like this in my head when I first started playing this course (back in 2008), I tracked "have I ever parred this hole?"  I was about a 25 handicap, so take this with whatever salt you want, but that par-3 16th was the last to fall.  Even had made fours on some of the >400 yard par-4s (I am not a long hitter, and was shorter then) before I parred this 160 or so par-3.  Par-3s are hard!

Today's round was weird.  Played the par-3s in total even (one birdie, one bogey, two pars) and the par-5s in total even (three pars, only three par-5s), didn't make a single par on a par-4 but had four doubles and a triple. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!