iacas

2020 TST Birdie Challenge

389 posts / 22101 viewsLast Reply

Finally knocked off another birdie on the challenge!!! This one was exciting, because I birdied a hole that I’ve been wanting to birdie since this challenge even started. The hole in question was the 8th hole at my home course, a short (318 from whites) but difficult par-4. 

The hole requires a tee shot of 160-175 yards before it doglegs to the left. I got a bit quick with a 6I and sliced it, leaving me an approach of about 180 yards out of rough that’s getting longer every time I play the course. The rough at my home course as of right now is sort of thick, but you can get away with hitting a hybrid or higher-lifted wood. Probably not a 3W.

In this instance, I hit a 5H and knew the minute it came off the face it was gonna be good. Landed in the front of the green and rolled to the back where the pin was, and it settled less than a yard from the cup. Nerves buzzing just a bit, I rolled in the putt.

The reason I’ve been wanting to birdie this hole so badly is because before today, the eighth hole was the only hole on the front nine I’d not birdied in my two and a half years of playing this course. So it was nice to get this one off my chest.

I’m exactly halfway there now, with just over five months to go. I don’t know whether I’ll get all 18, but I’d like to get to at least 13 or 14.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

FINALLY!!!!  I have ended the longest streak to start a season without a Birdie. It has literally been decades that has taken me so long into a season to get that first Birdie.  Really, decades not years.  And wow was it oh so nice.

#4 is a Par 5. Tree jail along the right side, fairway bunker on the left in driving range, catch the top of a hill on your drive and you can get a nice roll out - BUT - you have to really nail that sucker to do it. It gets narrow at the end with a decent sized pond protecting the front and right side of the green.  There are 2 sand bunkers behind the pond in front of the green as well as bunkers on the left side.  Going long is way bad.

With a tailwind last night - note with a tailwind i nailed my Drive and it caught just the backside of the hill and got a fantastic bounce forward and roll.  My 2nd shot i hit a wedge into the green, i had to go down 2 clubs due to the wind and stuck it center back of the green.

i had a massive putt for Eagle so all i focused on was getting it as tight as possible for a Birdie.  i hit a great putt and left myself with a 2 footer.  Confidently i planted that 2 foot putt in the cup and felt like i had just won the US Open! 

July 27th at 5:35PM i got my 1st Birdie of the year and i 2 putted for it 🙂 The Drought has Ended!  

Haven't posted in here for a while but decided to join the challenge! I have counted 7 rounds on my home course this year (3 of them 9 hole-rounds) and got to 9 birdies. Try to make some more during August and the rest of the season. Season here started at the end of April. My home club has 36-holes, I selected our easier course for the birdie watch 🙂 Good luck to everyone!

picked up a birdie on #15.    151 ys par 3.   hit it to 20ft, made the putt.  (also, birdied #16....    again)

Finally, Par'd #11.   3w - 240 down the middle, 4i 195 to 15 ft, 2 putts.   been trying to check that one off for weeks.   

Par challenge complete. 

Picked up my first pars on #17 & #18 yesterday.  Both are Par 5s and play uphill long at the end.  Hit both fairways with my drive, #17 i smoked the drive and hit a nice 2nd shot with my 3 Utility Iron pin high right of the green.  I was nervous on the chip and almost flubbed it but managed to get it on the green.  I hit a great putt and left a tap in. 

#18 i hit a nice drive in the fairway and stayed aggressive by hitting a 5 wood.  Pin high right of the green and nerves almost got my again.  I managed to get my chip on the green and hit a great putt from 30+" with a monster break right to left.  The putt rolled right around the lip of the cup and left me with a 1/2" tap in.

Now all i have left to Par is #16, a long Par 4.  Wow it sure felt uplifting to finally have gotten Pars on #17 & #18

On 7/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, TourSpoon said:

I just started this challenge and I don't have a home course so its all away so the after 6 rounds on 5 courses I have scratched off 1, 3, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18. I probably should start playing the back first! 

Played a new course today and birdied 11 and 15. No help! 

Birdied the 5th hole at my home course today. Pulled the drive a little left which is the good miss on the hole. I still managed to hit it far enough to get over the hill and down to the flat spot at the bottom. Pushed my 2h towards the trees on the right but I had a clear shot into the green. Hit a 3/4 LW to about 12' and made the putt.