IGNORED

Club Championships

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I understand the issue.  I know that at my club, children of members have playing rights until they turn 25 (I think).  Anyone with playing rights is allowed to compete in any of the tournaments.  We do have a couple of young players, one in college now, and another recent graduate, that are the best players at the club.  I don't have a problem with the best player winning the championship..  

Your exactly right.  Some call it building the resume (ha ha!). It’s been that way for years.  We even have had non-resident Club Champions.  

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Some of us get hooked, we love that feeling of nerves and anxiety.  And some people prefer golf as a relaxing pastime.  There's room for all of us.

I figure like anything, the more you do it, the more you learn to thrive in those situations. Eventually I hope to get to a place in my golf game where I enjoy the pressure, and even feed off it.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I won the gross of my flight (60-65) this past year. We have net and gross winners, the payouts are a bit better for the gross winner. The club champion is the best gross score from all the flights.

1 minute ago, Sandy Lie said:

Your exactly right.  Some call it building the resume (ha ha!). It’s been that way for years.  We even have had non-resident Club Champions.  

Your membership is big enough, I'm not surprised.  Heck, I might be part of it within a few years.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

26 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Your membership is big enough, I'm not surprised.  Heck, I might be part of it within a few years.

I’ve been here 3 years now.  Let me know when your headed this way, perhaps we could play a round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRUCKER said:

It is sacred if you've become so good that you are able to play someone straight up. Ask NMGOLFER if he feels a little different taking down another player of his caliber. I would call him the club champion, not a net player.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

It's semantics.

Look. If I won my C flight. I'd probably call myself C-Flight Champion, not Club Champion. ... Club Champion is the guy that shot a friggin 62 from the tips earlier this year. ... The freak.

It doesn't mean that there isn't value in it for us B or C players in a Club Championship event even if it isn't the top flight.

Easy guys, the great thing about golf is the fact people of all abilities can compete and be successful. That being said the Club Champion is traditionally the best player in the club and should always come from the open gross division. That doesn’t mean you can’t have net flights that play alongside that flight, not everyone should be forced into one flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

7 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Easy guys, the great thing about golf is the fact people of all abilities can compete and be successful. That being said the Club Champion is traditionally the best player in the club and should always come from the open gross division. That doesn’t mean you can’t have net flights that play alongside that flight, not everyone should be forced into one flight. 

What if a pretty good golfer, who was properly flighted into the 1st Flight, shot low gross, lower than the best score in the open gross division?

9 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Well said.  That’s why we tee it up and do the best we can. 

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What if a pretty good golfer, who was properly flighted into the 1st Flight, shot low gross, lower than the best score in the open gross division?

I’d say good playing to him. Next year tee it up in the Open Division. Not a slam, but it doesn’t work that way.

• Like 1

My old club format was 36 holes Sat/Sun of stroke play to qualify for a top 8 in match play the following week. Sat 36 holes of match play then the 2 out of the 8 play a 36 hole match play on the Sunday to determine the winner.

It was brutal. I came 2nd last year in A Grade ( plus caps to 6 handicap) got beat in the last four on Saturday match play to get into the final.

The club I’m at now has 72 holes of straight stroke play off the blues.Tips.

We have A Grade ( US calls flight) scratch to 9 ( Gross score and net divisions).

B Grade 10 - 19 handicap Gross and net

C grade 20-36 handicap gross and net.

17 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I've won the Club Championship at my club five times. It's a two-day stroke play gross competition from the back tees to determine the club champ. Everyone else just plays in a "regular" net tournament from the middle or forward tees. My lowest score in my five wins was 68-69 (-7), but one year I won it with a score of 73-74 (+3). 

It happens one year it was a gross of 292 in A Grade the next it was 10 under 278.

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

16 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

I’d say good playing to him. Next year tee it up in the Open Division. Not a slam, but it doesn’t work that way.

Yep.  Most clubs that I’ve seen allow you to “flight up”.  We don’t flight, but do have different divisions.  I could play in the senior division, but choose to play in the open division.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If they played from the same tees as the Open Division then they would be the Club Champion in my eyes. Normally this cannot happen as only the Open Division plays the Championship tees and all the others play one up. I don't know why you would play a net division from the back tees, if those guys want to play with the big boys, then play with the big boys. I think you're kind of a sissie if you have the ability to play for the gross championship and choose the net. 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

19 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Yeah, and your one the guys that calls himself a "CHAMPION" because you won the net flight...🤣

🤝

There’s only one Club Champion.  The gross winner of the championship division.   There are gross and net winners in each division.  Some day I’d be proud to be a net division winner, but nobody is giving me a parking space for it.  

90% of us who play in these tournaments have no expectation of ever earning the title of Club Champion.  We compete because we enjoy the additional challenge that it adds to our game.  

If every 15 hcp out there refused to play because he’d never have a chance to win the whole shooting match, our club championship would be nothing more than a shootout between the top dozen or so players in the club.  Instead, it’s a fun, sociable 2 days that draws 70-80 players and allows F&B folks to do something a bit special, and the superintendent and his staff an opportunity to really showcase the course.  

8 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

If they played from the same tees as the Open Division then they would be the Club Champion in my eyes. Normally this cannot happen as only the Open Division plays the Championship tees and all the others play one up. I don't know why you would play a net division from the back tees, if those guys want to play with the big boys, then play with the big boys. I think you're kind of a sissie if you have the ability to play for the gross championship and choose the net. 

Exactly.  At our club you can flight up, but not down.  3 hcp and lower are automatically assigned to the championship division.  If a 5 hcp wants to play there, he can.  But nobody can opt out of that division.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

17 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

I’ve been here 3 years now.  Let me know when your headed this way, perhaps we could play a round.

We visit every Thanksgiving for a week, and some other time during the year if we can arrange it.  I'll try to get in touch when the time gets closer.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So you're a 15 handicap, does that mean you play straight up against everyone?  Or do you just choose not to play tournaments at all?  

Of course not. Yes I play in tournaments, and a lot of $$$ games. I'm only talking about the annual tournament that decides the clubs champion. IMO, the only players worthy of that title, are those that have the game to go straight up against each other.

Ive played in the club championship at various munis ive lived by and public courses for 20 years. Many public places dont require any specific membership for their club championships so I've just shown up if i liked it the course. I grew up playing at bethpage, but they didn't have club championships in the traditional sense. They really have a "Club Championship" were just the members of the various clubs play in their own pods. Its wasn't a course thing. Dont know what they do, these days. 

Surprisingly, ive only won 2 muni/public club champs despite the dozens and dozens ive competed in. Finished second a gazzilion times. When i was a member at  private clubs, which supposedly has "better players"  i won a club championship 3 straight years at one and 2 straight at another. One of them did a mix of medal and match play though. It took a month to win the tournament. Which was kinda annoying. All the others ive played in have been 36 hole medal. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

On 1/3/2020 at 12:31 PM, TRUCKER said:

I never understood playing in our club champion tournament, as I would have to play it as a net game. To me the only champions, are the guys playing gross scores...🤷‍♂️

That is why you have flights. I could never win our club championship, but I have won two flight championships over the years. So, I am a champion! :-) 

Bill M

28 minutes ago, phan52 said:

That is why you have flights. I could never win our club championship, but I have won two flight championships over the years. So, I am a champion! :-) 

🍻

Note: This thread is 1539 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!