JayJB

Where Were You for the 1986 Masters?

32 posts / 1283 viewsLast Reply

Three years in starting golf. Daughter a year old. Coming off the 18th hole at my local coarse lotta racket from the club house. Nicklaus was rounding Amen Corner I believe 3 shots back. I had been sitting there since I heard the ruckus the rest is history and again the greatest golfer thrilled me to my bones.

I’m 16 years old. I wasn’t even alive in 1986, although I would’ve loved to watch those golfers in their golden years!

Walked into the bar at Sayville, Golf Course after playing. I think he was on the 11th or 12th hole. We stayed to watch it til the end. 

3 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

I was at Ft Irwin California, US Army Desert Warfare Training Center.    

Thank you for your service

2 hours ago, RayG said:

Walked into the bar at Sayville, Golf Course after playing. I think he was on the 11th or 12th hole. We stayed to watch it til the end. 

It was such a magical time and place wasn’t it who would of known 19 majors

I, and my buddies, were playing! We finished our round and walked into the bar which, of course, had The Masters on! We saw that Nicklaus was in the hunt, and we just parked it right there! i had someplace else to be that afternoon, so I had to use the "pay phone" ( no cell phones in those days ) and call people to tell them that I wouldn't be there! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Working....I worked long hours from Fri-Sun as a maitre'd while completing my MBA from Mon-Thurs....likely DVD'd it to watch it when I came home late that night.

FWIW.....I remember ironing a shirt watching the Challenger explode and was just waking up before 6am PST to get ready to drive 400 km for a business conference on 9/11....I thought it was only a small plane that 1st crashed into the World Trade Center.

30% of the conference attendees were no shows because all the planes were grounded and they could not fly into the business meeting.

I'm old as dirt...also remember watching the moon landing live as a kid too.

I was three so who knows.

My first Masters that I watched was '96 when Faldo won. '97 was the one that really got me playing.

I was in the unfinished (actually, still to this day, except there's a few more scraps of carpet down there) basement of my parents house, getting all jacked up with my York (the cheap Canadian equivalent to Weider) weight set.  As a thirteen year old, my only experiences with golf was watching Caddyshack a few times on VHS.

At home watching either He-Man or Knight Rider as i was only 6 years old. Still a tough call today, Knight rider or the Masters, decisions decisions!

I was in my living room watching with my now wife, and current next door neighbors. We lived in a shi**y duplex in Winchester, MA with brown shag rugs. I remember the most about the tournament,

"Seve Ballesteros self-destructing on the back nine".

I also recall in horror that grown men would wear pants like Nicklaus. Looks like he shopped at K-mart for the outfit. Attention K-mart Shoppers - Polyester in Aisle 3 is on sale now!

Nicklaus.jpg

I was 26 an engaged to be married to my wife of 33 years. We played some golf, but really had no time or money to play a lot. I bought my wife a lefty set of Ram clubs that year.

23 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

I was at Ft Irwin California, US Army Desert Warfare Training Center.    

Close.  3d Tank Battalion, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in 29 Palms

I remember watching it on Sunday.  Unforgettable.

Can't be certain, but around 4 p.m. on most of those Sundays back then, I'd goofing around my parents' house with the fantastic smell of my dad's pasta sauce filling the air.