IGNORED

3W Off the Deck?

lastings
Note: This thread is 1525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, lastings said:

I haven't figured out what that emergency would consist of in the middle of the winter, but...   better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them, I suppose. 

IMG_1373-2.jpeg.fc50f4cb220ee1e98da9d156f2f45b1c.jpeg

• Like 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it's really gonna be up to you to figure out what is a more useful club to have in the bag.  I carry a driver and 3w with no hybrids as I have more shots I need to hit 230-250 than I do 200-225 during a round.  I imagine if I played off the back tees I would need more clubs in that 200-230 range at my length, but thats just me.  I used to carry a 5w but ditched it because I just wasn't hitting it far enough to justify having it in the bag, and it's pretty difficult to find new 5ws these days.  experiment with having one and see how it changes your shot selection and/results during a round

• Like 1

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

On 1/14/2020 at 7:28 PM, ncates00 said:

I play 3w off the deck (Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15*, replaced my trusty Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5* to get more launch but keep the spin low).  I also play a 19* gapr hi, 23* 4h, and a 26* 5h.  Love all these clubs.

I'm probably a little more consistent with the hybrids due to having more loft.  It makes sense because typically the shorter the club, the easier it is to control for many people.  Loft helps a lot.

With respect to hitting par 5's in two, I don't pick the hybrid over the 3w.  I make my choices based upon the yardage I need and the circumstances at hand, e.g., pin location, trouble short/long, etc.  I think what you're trying to ask is whether my 3w sits in the bag and I avoid using it--the answer is no.  I use my 3w and I am happy to do so.  In fact, I use it off the deck on some tee boxes when driver will fly too far.  For me, the key is make sure I do relatively the same golf swing as with any other club--a downward strike.  Trying to pick it with a 3w for just leads to low strikes/thin strikes and the ball spins too much and ball speed suffers.  That's actually why I changed out my trusty 3w for a new one.  The new one has a bit better ball speed and more loft, yet lower spin.  This allows me to hit with a downward blow like a hybrid or longer iron and get a good launch angle, descent angle, and carry. 

3w is a great club and once you find the right one, they stay in the bag a long time!

You're correct, once you find the right 3W it stays. I still play an old Cobra S3 I bought years ago. I have tried and purchased another 3Ws, Cleveland Classic, which has a low profile face and a head size that matches my Cobra but I do not hit it as well as my old cobra, (please don't ask me why I bought it, I use to be a club hound before retirement, I have a garage full of clubs to prove it). I'm afraid that something will happen to my old Cobra, even searched Ebay for another one but no luck, they are to old and the used ones didn't look that good.

3 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

You're correct, once you find the right 3W it stays. I still play an old Cobra S3 I bought years ago. I have tried and purchased another 3Ws, Cleveland Classic, which has a low profile face and a head size that matches my Cobra but I do not hit it as well as my old cobra, (please don't ask me why I bought it, I use to be a club hound before retirement, I have a garage full of clubs to prove it). I'm afraid that something will happen to my old Cobra, even searched Ebay for another one but no luck, they are to old and the used ones didn't look that good.

Keep an open mind though and when one strikes your fancy, go take your trusty Cobra and head-to-head them on a simulator.  I didn't think I'd ever bench my Adams, but I did.  For me, the newer Callaway launches higher with more ball speed and with less spin--exactly what I had hoped for.  The Callaway has a bit deeper face than the Adams, and before I hated deep faced fairway woods.  However, that was because I was a sweeper; now, I like to hit down a bit more to keep my swing more consistent through the bag (i still hit up with driver due to the higher tee though).  

17 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Keep an open mind though and when one strikes your fancy, go take your trusty Cobra and head-to-head them on a simulator.  I didn't think I'd ever bench my Adams, but I did.  For me, the newer Callaway launches higher with more ball speed and with less spin--exactly what I had hoped for.  The Callaway has a bit deeper face than the Adams, and before I hated deep faced fairway woods.  However, that was because I was a sweeper; now, I like to hit down a bit more to keep my swing more consistent through the bag (i still hit up with driver due to the higher tee though).  

I'll have to give that a try, never did a head to head on a launch monitor.

• Like 1

I don’t carry a 3 wood as I’m inconsistent off the fairway with one.  I also carry a 19 hybrid for 190-200 shots.  However  I’ve recently added a 16.5 TS3 and it’s the perfect club for me. Off the tee or fairway it’s easy to hit. Fills the gap nicely for 200-215 shots.  

• 4 weeks later...

Got a 3W 15deg actually recent new purchase MIzuno ST180(50% off) one with a matchin) shaft to my ST180 driver which I love but sadly haven't had such a good run with the 3W to date (over my old brilliant TM aero-burner.. which really converted me to using a 3W after several years without one ...

certainly a hard club to use off the deck yet I see many of the older boys ripping with woods off the ground... so really think it needs much more practice to get the right feel not to fade the ball to hard

So at present I don't have enough confidence off the ground

pretty happy off a low tee solid 250-260y  3W was always my go to club off the tee,one to grab in a tough fairway with hazards etc or when I was having issues with my Driver  ...

Do have a nice PING G 17deg hybrid that goes very nice most of the time and is my go to 240-250yard out fairway club

As I'm averaging 280-290yards drive with ST180 ... so not very often one needs anything more than a Hybrid outside the odd long PAR5

If I had to drop a club prob be the 4iron in my bag use that even less than 3W..

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

On 2/10/2020 at 2:35 AM, NZ Golfer said:

Got a 3W 15deg actually recent new purchase MIzuno ST180(50% off) one with a matchin) shaft to my ST180 driver which I love but sadly haven't had such a good run with the 3W to date (over my old brilliant TM aero-burner.. which really converted me to using a 3W after several years without one ...

certainly a hard club to use off the deck yet I see many of the older boys ripping with woods off the ground... so really think it needs much more practice to get the right feel not to fade the ball to hard

So at present I don't have enough confidence off the ground

pretty happy off a low tee solid 250-260y  3W was always my go to club off the tee,one to grab in a tough fairway with hazards etc or when I was having issues with my Driver  ...

Do have a nice PING G 17deg hybrid that goes very nice most of the time and is my go to 240-250yard out fairway club

As I'm averaging 280-290yards drive with ST180 ... so not very often one needs anything more than a Hybrid outside the odd long PAR5

If I had to drop a club prob be the 4iron in my bag use that even less than 3W..

Another 14/mid-cap, claiming they average 280-290 driving distance, a solid 250-260 w/3W, and 240-250 for the hybrid...🤦‍♂️...I don't believe you one bit. 

19 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

Another 14/mid-cap, claiming they average 280-290 driving distance, a solid 250-260 w/3W, and 240-250 for the hybrid...🤦‍♂️...I don't believe you one bit. 

You really need to let it go man. What does this have to do with the OP anyways?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 1/13/2020 at 1:25 PM, lastings said:

To those of you that play both a hybrid and a 3W, is your consistency similar when hitting off the deck?

yes.

Not having a three wood that you can hit off the deck means you will not be getting it close on par 5 holes in two shots and this might cost you a shot per round in lost birdie opportunities whereas do you gain a shot per round having a hybrid and driving iron that goes the same distance?  If so, keep your current setup.  If you can't hit a 3W, the question is moot.  I have a 30 yard gap in distance between my hybrid and 3W, it drives me crazy but I do not lose shots.  I can chock down on the 3 wood but I would personally never give up the distance and have two duplicate 225 yard clubs giving up the 250 yard or whatever 3 wood.  Never in a million years.

52 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

I agree with @Darkfrog, let it go @TRUCKER

27 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

You really need to let it go man. What does this have to do with the OP anyways?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have a serious psychological hurdle hitting 3W off the deck, so I carry a 19.5 degree 5W instead, and then a 4/5h set at 23.5 degrees. I tried a 2h (19 degrees) for awhile, but preferred the 5W.

My bag is set up to play my home course, where unless I completely bungle my tee ball I will never have an approach shot more than 230 yards, which 5W is long enough for at least a nGIR.

I will carry a 3W when I play other courses, but I'll mostly still pull out 5W, even at 3W distance.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 1/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, lastings said:

This is actually the crux of my question.   I have no clue how well I hit 3W off the deck.  haven't carried a fairway wood in my bag for over 15 years.   

While understanding that everyone is different, I'm just trying to get a general understanding if hitting 3W off the deck is more difficult or similar to hitting hybrid off the deck.  for the general public, anyways..  

If you are really a 7.8 I'd bet you will hit a 3 wood pretty well off the deck. But you need to try it.

3 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Maybe he putts with a hockey stick?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

yes.

Not having a three wood that you can hit off the deck means you will not be getting it close on par 5 holes in two shots and this might cost you a shot per round in lost birdie opportunities whereas do you gain a shot per round having a hybrid and driving iron that goes the same distance?  If so, keep your current setup.  If you can't hit a 3W, the question is moot.  I have a 30 yard gap in distance between my hybrid and 3W, it drives me crazy but I do not lose shots.  I can chock down on the 3 wood but I would personally never give up the distance and have two duplicate 225 yard clubs giving up the 250 yard or whatever 3 wood.  Never in a million years.

Honestly, I think a lot of golfers might pick up a couple of strokes by keeping the 3-wood in the bag on par 5s. 

8 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Honestly, I think a lot of golfers might pick up a couple of strokes by keeping the 3-wood in the bag on par 5s. 

But you won't get better with it unless you try. FWIW, I use a 4W and can hit it pretty well off the deck and tee. Practice with it and you can become more proficient.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I use my 3W for 2nd shots on a par 5 or to make up for the occasional "dribbler" that barely makes the fairway. If I use it from the tee, it's a shorter par 4 dogleg that my driver will likely run through the rough. I find it quite useful and don't find it difficult to hit a ball in the fairway. I will rarely hit it from the rough.

What club would you remove and how often to you use it?

- Shane

I have a similiar problem. I carry Driver, 3-Wood, 2-Iron then my next longest club is a 4 iron. I can hit the 3-Wood off the deck quite well, but I rarely need to unless I miss hit a drive or I am playing a really long course. Basically my 3 wood is used almost exclusively off the tee. The 2-iron is a driving iron, and while I hit it well off the tee, I find it useless anywhere else unless I have a perfect lie. Carrying three clubs that I use almost exclusively off the tee seemed a bit of a waste. Since the 2-Iron was one dimensional I decided, just yesterday, to switch and order a 3-hybrid. 

I have always had an issue with a left miss when I hit hybrids, but when I tried the new Callaway Mavrik Pro I found the ball flight to be fantastic. I am hoping once I get it I am able to hit it off the tee without losing too much distance, but it will be nice to have it available to hit shots in other areas of the course. I went with the 3-Hybrid instead of a 2-Hybrid because I fit better into the gap between 3 wood and 4 iron.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 2/12/2020 at 5:27 AM, TRUCKER said:

Of course you don't but if you're ever over my way more than happy to take you out to my local course or any guy on here coming to Central Otago- New Zealand (where the NZ Golf open is held)

... played with many LOW HC players that find it hard to believe till I drive the ball 20yards+ past their great drive .. I'm known around the club as the guy that HIt's it a long way(sadly not as the good or gifted golfer LOL) I have played with others at the club that also have great distance  ... is it not that common in the states ?

.. I think its the fact it's not common but does happen .. if only I could sort my many other Golfing issues I would be a low HC player as distance has never been an issue

I purely put it down to working a hard labour Fishing job 24yrs(strong shoulders/back/arm etc) where a good part of the job is swinging a large knife at speed thousands of times so good eye hand cord's.. that leading to me comfortably swinging 110mph-120mph ... when I swing the club I don't feel as though I'm really ripping it .. I'm actually working really hard on trying to slow my swing esp with the irons 

One of these days I'll put a clip up ... to prove it !!!

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!