IGNORED

Hybrid vs Iron?

Savior Par
Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, Greg 504 said:

This is my concern of buying one and not being able to hit it consistently like you with the 3H. I did see during research some hybrids that are adjustable loft just like many new drivers on the market, albeit a bit more expensive it seems. Might be a great alternative. 

That's why you need to take your clubs with you and gap test your reasonable averages.  You can adjust the hybrid loft to fit what you need it for.  Further, you don't even have to have a hybrid with the "correct" number on it--get the one(s) that fly the yardages and in the gaps you want them to fly.  I'd try to get a good 15 yard gap so you don't bunch up.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/30/2020 at 9:21 PM, ncates00 said:

That's why you need to take your clubs with you and gap test your reasonable averages.  You can adjust the hybrid loft to fit what you need it for.  Further, you don't even have to have a hybrid with the "correct" number on it--get the one(s) that fly the yardages and in the gaps you want them to fly.  I'd try to get a good 15 yard gap so you don't bunch up.

Thanks for the advice. I just started a notes page on my phone for my club distances and will see exactly where I want to fill the gap. I guess even though I'm still extremely inconsistent with long irons and woods/driver, I still can calculate a reasonable average of each. 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Hybrid clubs, sometimes called utility clubs, are a relatively new addition to the arsenal of clubs at a golfer's disposal. Most players new to golf struggle to hit fairway woods and long irons consistently well. Those clubs are longer, stiffer and less forgiving than medium and short irons and often, beginners have a hard time getting the ball airborne with those clubs. If you're a newcomer and looking for golf beginner tips to help with better ball-striking, here's one for you: consider carrying one or more hybrid(s) in your bag.

What is a hybrid club? A hybrid is a golf club that combines the elements of a wood and an iron that aid in getting the ball airborne and provide more forgiveness on mishits. A hybrid club has a flatter striking area on the clubface and a lower center of gravity than irons or fairway woods, providing a greater margin of error when the club is used. This means you can still get the ball airborne and hit a good shot even if you miss the "sweet spot" of the clubface when striking the ball.

When is a hybrid club most effective? Because a hybrid combines elements of a wood and an iron, it can be hit from just about anywhere on the golf course - tee box, fairway or rough (you could even putt or chip with it, but you should probably leave that to the professionals!). It has a lighter weight compared to other clubs but generally provides the same distance as a fairway wood. It can be particularly advantageous when hitting from the rough. Because a hybrid club is lighter and stronger than fairway woods or irons, it allows a golfer to more easily cut through the higher grass typically found in the rough.

Which clubs do hybrids replace in my bag? Most hybrids are designed to replace long irons (2-,3- or 4-iron) but they can also replace fairway woods (3- or 5-wood). One thing to remember in deciding which clubs to replace with hybrids is that, under the rules of golf, you are only allowed to carry 14 clubs in your bag. If you decide to put one or more hybrids in your bag, most likely you will have to take one or more irons or fairway woods out of your bag to meet the 14-club rule.

Here's another thing to consider regarding hybrid clubs - they're not just for beginners or high-handicappers. They have grown in popularity, even with touring professionals, because they are easier to hit for golfers of all levels. Watch the PGA tour pros on TV and you'll probably be surprised at how many carry at least one hybrid club in their bag.

In summary, if you're just beginning golf or relatively new to golf and looking for golf beginner tips to improve your game, consider replacing your long irons or fairway woods with hybrid clubs. You'll want to practice before taking the hybrids out on the course with you, but you'll probably find the hybrids easier to hit than irons or fairway woods.

3 hours ago, CNM said:

Hybrid clubs, sometimes called utility clubs, are a relatively new addition to the arsenal of clubs at a golfer's disposal. Most players new to golf struggle to hit fairway woods and long irons consistently well. Those clubs are longer, stiffer and less forgiving than medium and short irons and often, beginners have a hard time getting the ball airborne with those clubs. If you're a newcomer and looking for golf beginner tips to help with better ball-striking, here's one for you: consider carrying one or more hybrid(s) in your bag.

What is a hybrid club? A hybrid is a golf club that combines the elements of a wood and an iron that aid in getting the ball airborne and provide more forgiveness on mishits. A hybrid club has a flatter striking area on the clubface and a lower center of gravity than irons or fairway woods, providing a greater margin of error when the club is used. This means you can still get the ball airborne and hit a good shot even if you miss the "sweet spot" of the clubface when striking the ball.

When is a hybrid club most effective? Because a hybrid combines elements of a wood and an iron, it can be hit from just about anywhere on the golf course - tee box, fairway or rough (you could even putt or chip with it, but you should probably leave that to the professionals!). It has a lighter weight compared to other clubs but generally provides the same distance as a fairway wood. It can be particularly advantageous when hitting from the rough. Because a hybrid club is lighter and stronger than fairway woods or irons, it allows a golfer to more easily cut through the higher grass typically found in the rough.

Which clubs do hybrids replace in my bag? Most hybrids are designed to replace long irons (2-,3- or 4-iron) but they can also replace fairway woods (3- or 5-wood). One thing to remember in deciding which clubs to replace with hybrids is that, under the rules of golf, you are only allowed to carry 14 clubs in your bag. If you decide to put one or more hybrids in your bag, most likely you will have to take one or more irons or fairway woods out of your bag to meet the 14-club rule.

Here's another thing to consider regarding hybrid clubs - they're not just for beginners or high-handicappers. They have grown in popularity, even with touring professionals, because they are easier to hit for golfers of all levels. Watch the PGA tour pros on TV and you'll probably be surprised at how many carry at least one hybrid club in their bag.

In summary, if you're just beginning golf or relatively new to golf and looking for golf beginner tips to improve your game, consider replacing your long irons or fairway woods with hybrid clubs. You'll want to practice before taking the hybrids out on the course with you, but you'll probably find the hybrids easier to hit than irons or fairway woods.

If you are quoting an outside source, please provide the reference. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I mentioned in another thread that I just ordered a 3-Hybrid to replace my 2-iron. The 2-iron is a driving iron, and although I hit it extremely well off the tee, I just cannot hit anywhere else on the course unless its just a perfect lie. In testing the 3-hybrid, the numbers were similiar in overall distance to my 2-iron. The big difference was I can hit that hybrid out of all kinds of different lies.

Now I have tried hybrids in the past but the two reasons I have been reluctant to switch to one, was they had a bad left miss in them, and I couldn't control trajectory. The left miss comes from the fact that most hybrids available are weighted with a hook bias, set up closed, or both. PING are the worst in this category IMHO. Additionally, every hybrid I hit had two trajectories high and really high. I don't need help getting the ball in the air, but I do need to be able to flight it down if I need to.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 1527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!