IGNORED

Can’t Read Numbers on the Sole of Irons

Matthew62
Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who has headcovers for each of his irons.  Drives me nuts... adds about 9  minutes to our rounds.

I play with a guy who has covers on his irons and it really does slow down the round. Not the on/off routine for each shot, as he is pretty good about ready golf, but at least 2-3 times a round he leaves a cover behind and has to run back and try to find it.

His driver and fairway woods have dents on the crown, so I don't understand his obsession with keeping his irons so virginal looking.

4 hours ago, Moniker said:

I actually like my clubs to look beat up, but clean. I don't even cover my woods sometimes. The putter, on the other hand, is always covered. 

I like that my irons show wear. I don't like bag chatter on woods, as I find something distracting at looking at the crown of a driver or fairway wood with chips and dents in it.

• Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/16/2020 at 5:57 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I have a golfing friend who has headcovers for each of his irons.  Drives me nuts... adds about 9  minutes to our rounds.  Tour pros don't use iron headcovers and they hit the ball pretty well with dings and scratches.  And I'm not sure if unblemished irons would increase their re-sale value.  Unless they're being sold to another similar user.

Geez... these are not new cars!

From driver to putter, all my clubs have covers. Takes me a second to put the cover on and take it off. Always been the same since I was a kid, and look after everything I own 

- Simon Hornsby

On 2/20/2020 at 2:40 AM, Darkfrog said:

I like that my irons show wear. I don't like bag chatter on woods, as I find something distracting at looking at the crown of a driver or fairway wood with chips and dents in it.

I like my clubs looking nice, too, so I use car wax on my woods once in a while. If you can afford it, buy the really nice carnauba kind. They work wonder on the shaft, too.

6 minutes ago, Moniker said:

I like my clubs looking nice, too, so I use car wax on my woods once in a while. If you can afford it, buy the really nice carnauba kind. They work wonder on the shaft, too.

And let that wax seep onto the face of the driver and you'll hit the ball straighter. And it'll be illegal.

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

And let that wax seep onto the face of the driver and you'll hit the ball straighter. And it'll be illegal.

Not the face. I hit all my woods with a sizable draw anyways

I'm a decent player, have been around golf all my life and I have never seen a serious player use iron covers or "wax their woods."  Good lord. Club Pro Guy is a parody but not an exaggeration.

9 hours ago, 3jacker said:

I'm a decent player, have been around golf all my life and I have never seen a serious player use iron covers or "wax their woods."  Good lord. Club Pro Guy is a parody but not an exaggeration.

To me, polishing my clubs is like ironing my shirts or polishing my shoes. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Is it nice? Yes. Does it burden me or others unnecessarily? No, it takes a minute to do each club, and I only have three of them.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:43 AM, Mr Puddle said:

I can't understand anyone spending hundreds of dollars/pounds on a set of golf clubs and not putting them in head covers. Just my opinion 

I would think hitting the turf and sand would do more damage than club clanking around the bag.

I use to have iron covers when I started playing seriously, but it was a pain in the rear.  I have had my set for over 5 years and it seems as same as when I use to have the iron covers.

Back to the OP.  I like that video on paint filling the number.  I might go with fluorescent yellow.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

27 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

I guess if you can't  hit em, shine em.

In my line of work, it is absolutely crucial that I always keep all my work tools in tip-top order, both in function and in presentation. I guess that just carries over to my golf hobby.

Edited by Moniker
Tone

I don't think the metal faces on a driver would be porous enough to absorb wax. I can't see a coat of wax hurting a club.  Maybe I will try and remember to wipe down my driver next time I do the car and see if it makes a difference, would be nice to have drives straight, lol. I do clean my clubs frequently with water with a little dish soap or simple green, so I think that would remove any wax anyway ?

My dad was legally blind the last few years of his life.  It didn't stop us from playing golf but we did have to make accommodations.  He could see the green but not the cup...so i would stand directly behind the hole, on the longer putts, and he would putt at me.  Another problem was his inability to identify his irons.  We tried two things: one that worked and one that did not.

The first was the braille approach.  Dad couldn't read the numbers by touch, however, so we abandoned that idea.  Next we tried colored plastic tape, similar to electrical tape, and met with success.  He could distinguish yellow quite well.  I wrapped each iron hosel with bright, yellow, tape and then numbered the clubs with a black Sharpie.  That he could see.

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!