snapfade

Do You Practice With the Same Ball You Play With?

9 posts / 726 viewsLast Reply

Just curious if anyone practices chipping and so forth with the same ball they play with, or like me have a bag of whatever. Seems like the perfect answer would be to use the same as you intend on playing with. 

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I use the same balls on the practice putting green that I play with.  Same for putting on the carpet up in my study.  There are enough variables in putting already.  The more of them you can control the better.

Same brand, and model. E7 Bridgestone. All my practice balls are retired gamers.

Using the same ball is a comfort item for me. No surprises when playing for a score. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I use the same balls on the practice putting green that I play with.  Same for putting on the carpet up in my study.  There are enough variables in putting already.  The more of them you can control the better.

This.     When I set up my net, I use my game golf balls.

The driving ranges (2), near me, one uses limited flight and the other uses used balls.  

When I’m working on full swing hitting into a net, I use collection of excellent condition premium balls (pro v1, tp5, chromesoft, etc) that I’ve found on course. I have 27 of them accumulated so far.

At lessons, the facility has pro v1 and srixon z-star in the launch monitor bays.

When I putt, or practicing short game at a practice facility I use my regular balls (cut blue or snell mtb). 

In my bag I have some used, usable, but wouldn't use in a tournament, balls that I use when I practice chipping.  They're ones that have survived 36-54 holes of real play.  When I practice putting outdoors, at a course, I putt with the same type I use, but I use new ones (I'm not sure why I do this -- should I?).   

Indoors, I don't have much in the way of the balls I use.  My indoor practice is with Bridgestone e6, whether it's full swing motion (off a mat, into a net) or putting (across a ruler).  I bought a ton of e6s in 2009 or so.

OK. Your headline is a bit different from the point of your OP! When I go to a range to hit a bucket, I do not expect them to have the bucket full of the balls of my preference! But then, you change the parameter to "chipping and putting". 

Of course, I will use my game balls when practicing this part of my game! Why would I not?