IGNORED

Switch Into a Higher Lofted Driver, or Hit Up More?

Note: This thread is 1521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

128 is super fast..so what's your cap?

I don't keep a handicap. However if I'm playing badly I may shoot low 90's. If I'm playing good I may shoot low 80's. Best round of a 78 once and a 79 once. Usually stay mid to upper 80's.

10 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Very impressive, I know you're proud of your club head speed but unless that turns into consistent ball speed and dispersion it really doesn't matter.  Going straight to the low loft/LD equipment might make some sense, but in the long run, you're better off working on your swing.  Assuming your speed claims as true, you have plenty of speed to give if push came to shove in order to gain more control of your swing.  Obviously, no one wants to give up any speed, but if you truly did average that speed, you will always have that high gear when you want it.  I know some successful college golfers and the last thing they talk about is speed (even though they have it); all they care about are trophies.

Having a lot of horsepower is a great thing, but it matters very little if you burn off the tires and can't make it to the finish line.  I say this not to imply that you aren't a good golfer--again, I don't know you.  However, given your very high clubhead speed and inability to hit "normal" drivers and have quality striking, I'd say you have a lot of room for improvement in the swing department--but don't we ALL haha.  Best of luck.

Maybe, but the guy is a 17 capper with great clubhead speed.  He obviously has potential.  I would get serious about the swing and forget about the driver change for now.  

Yeah I'm not a great golfer. Honestly I don't work on my game much. Tend to take weeks off at a time and possibly months between playing. Just have a lot going on always right now. For reference I did build a 7.5* driver with a 2x shaft but in a more normal length and I don't hit it any more accurately as my normal 5*. And isn't the motto of this forum to hit it as far as possible to score lower? I will say when my driving is on it becomes quite the weapon for me. When it's not I resort to my 2 iron lol.

13 hours ago, billchao said:

I assume your swing speed isn’t pushing 120 mph, though. OP isn’t getting the most out of his speed. It’s like someone with 95 mph clubhead speed only carrying the ball 180 yards.

My swing speed is no wheres near 120 mph, more like 90 and I only carry 180 to 190, with a roll out I get maybe 200 if I'm lucky. I have tried a lot of things to increase my distance but to no avail, (I have four drivers in my garage). I'm 68 and have had three back surgeries so I need to take it easy. I concentrate more on hitting straight then distance, I have my 3W which I hit well off the fairway, that makes up for my lack of distance. What I really need to keep working on is my short game, mostly getting the ball closer to the pin on my third shot, (on a par four). 

If the OP is driving 265 yard but carries a 17 HC IMHO he needs to work on his short game. Just a thought.

13 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

My swing speed is no wheres near 120 mph, more like 90 and I only carry 180 to 190, with a roll out I get maybe 200 if I'm lucky. I have tried a lot of things to increase my distance but to no avail, (I have four drivers in my garage). I'm 68 and have had three back surgeries so I need to take it easy. I concentrate more on hitting straight then distance, I have my 3W which I hit well off the fairway, that makes up for my lack of distance. What I really need to keep working on is my short game, mostly getting the ball closer to the pin on my third shot, (on a par four). 

If the OP is driving 265 yard but carries a 17 HC IMHO he needs to work on his short game. Just a thought.

My point is, you’re approaching the OP’s problem from your perspective, not his. 265 flat carry with your swing speed is impossible, so of course to you it would be a dream to be able to hit that far.

The fact that you have tried different things to improve your driving illustrates my point. You understand exactly where the OP is coming from, though your post seemed to suggest otherwise.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/19/2020 at 10:18 AM, colin007 said:

Are you hitting it low on the face? It's weird to be hitting it that much down and not have it balloon more than 70 feet...

Yeah, that seemed weird to me as well. 

On 1/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, cooke119 said:

If I was driving 265 yards average I wouldn't change anything, screw ball flight, LOL.

But, the guy's a 17 handicap. I'm 67 years old, and 230 is a good drive for me. Of course, I do play the Senior tees. I have maintained around a 13 HI for quite a while now, even sneaking down into the upper 12's now and then. 

23 hours ago, billchao said:

I assume your swing speed isn’t pushing 120 mph, though. OP isn’t getting the most out of his speed. It’s like someone with 95 mph clubhead speed only carrying the ball 180 yards.

Yes. Generally ball velocity helps hit the ball higher, and a -3.5* AOA is pretty severe for a Driver! it's easy to buy loft, harder to change your swing. But changing your swing may bring more lasting results!

On 1/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, cooke119 said:

batman superman GIF

• Like 1

Colin P.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:28 PM, cooke119 said:

With his swing speed, he's not getting the most out of what he has to offer.  That's all ballstriking here man.  Short game has its place, but this is pretty weighty evidence that his ballstriking needs a lot of work.  You get far more bang for your buck with ballstriking; plus, ballstriking travels with you course to course.  Short game is so context-specific and is usually a "get out of jail free card."  It is far better to have a quality long game.  

Either Golf Digest or Golf magazine that came in my mail last week ( The one with John Rahm on the cover). has an article in it about this topic exactly.  You should read it.

You don’t need a launch monitor you need a pack of impact tape. Sounds like your swinging wildly and chopping wood. Swing the driver under control. Are you finishing in balance? I have seen fitting guys just watch players hack away and keep changing clubs to get a good result. You can’t give a crooked man a crooked cane and expect him to walk straight. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

You don’t need a launch monitor you need a pack of impact tape. Sounds like your swinging wildly and chopping wood. Swing the driver under control. Are you finishing in balance? I have seen fitting guys just watch players hack away and keep changing clubs to get a good result. You can’t give a crooked man a crooked cane and expect him to walk straight. 

So true. You need to be able to repeat your swing atleast 4 or 5 times out of ten for any golf tech to work in your favor

You can have great swing speed, but if you are not consistent and hitting the driver face in the right spot, you will lose a lot of distance.  Impact tape is good, I like a can white powder foot spray...…  Instant feedback on where on the face you are getting the ball strike helps a lot.

See the source image

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

7 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

You can have great swing speed, but if you are not consistent and hitting the driver face in the right spot, you will lose a lot of distance.  Impact tape is good, I like a can white powder foot spray...…  Instant feedback on where on the face you are getting the ball strike helps a lot.

See the source image

At 100 mph SS...is 1 mph loss in ball speed = to approx, 3 yards,,,,,and at 95 mph SS....1 loss in ball speed about 2 yards?

Missing the center is not just about loosing a few yards it’s about hitting the ball all over the place. Bottom of the face near the sole is a worm burner, no amount of added loft or shaft will change that. 

9 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

At 100 mph SS...is 1 mph loss in ball speed = to approx, 3 yards,,,,,and at 95 mph SS....1 loss in ball speed about 2 yards?

Face contact is just one of several variables that can reduce distance.  Hitting the sweet spot with a bad swing plane or angle of attack can make a big difference. 

Just trying to make the point that knowing where your consistent impact point on the face is, can help determine distance/mishit issues.

Edited by IowaGreg

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!