IGNORED

Ben Hogan’s Hip Movement

Fish Man
Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hogan's hip turn: Five Lessons gives the image of an elastic band attached to the left hip suggesting that the downswing begins with level turning of the hips. However in looking at Ben's downswing, it does begin with the hips, but his left hip actually elevates higher than his right as he turns. The video of him explaining how to use the lower body doesn't mention that, but if you watch him demonstrate his downswing, you can see it quite clearly. That suggests that he first elevates his left hip as he begins to turn to keep him from simply spinning around level. Have I analyzed this correctly? Would love the thoughts of a pro or scratch handicap. I'm 76 and a 12.--Fish Man

• Administrator

His left hip doesn't elevate immediately, either. It slides forward while staying "lower" in the early part, and transitions into a more rotational move later on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Fish Man said:

Hogan's hip turn: Five Lessons gives the image of an elastic band attached to the left hip suggesting that the downswing begins with level turning of the hips. However in looking at Ben's downswing, it does begin with the hips, but his left hip actually elevates higher than his right as he turns. The video of him explaining how to use the lower body doesn't mention that, but if you watch him demonstrate his downswing, you can see it quite clearly. That suggests that he first elevates his left hip as he begins to turn to keep him from simply spinning around level. Have I analyzed this correctly? Would love the thoughts of a pro or scratch handicap. I'm 76 and a 12.--Fish Man

The Forward Swing actually begins with a "lateral shift" that starts the lead hips turning as it should. Mr. Hogan states this in his Five Lessons. ... In fact, he says that the lateral move is just enough to turn the hip. -- You will find that all of Mr. Hogan's positions at Address greatly enhance proper swing action "Start to Finish!" -- Best, DrDom 

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, DrDom said:

By the way, your observation about the Lead Hip elevating is correct. But this occurs as a natural response to  Mr. Hogan's "lateral shift".  

Yeah, moreso it has to do with the inclination of the hips and their turning around that inclination. Even if the "circle" shifts laterally a little, it's still inclined.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!