cooke119

Anyone Use a 7-Wood?

37 posts / 3400 viewsLast Reply

Just now, cooke119 said:

I looked on line at various manufacturers, didn't see much available in a 9W?

Callaway has produced 9 woods over the years, check the older Steelhead line on their pre-owned website. Callaway always has hot lofts, so their 9 woods tend to be in the 23° range.

2 minutes ago, Hackasaurus Rex said:

Callaway has produced 9 woods over the years, check the older Steelhead line on their pre-owned website. Callaway always has hot lofts, so their 9 woods tend to be in the 23° range.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

On 2/2/2020 at 6:36 AM, cooke119 said:

How are you inconsistent with it, short, long, slice, fade? 

I hit my woods well, (3W, 5W and now the 7W) but of course I'll have an errant shot now and then.

All of the above. I am never sure where my ball is going to go. Mostly I either top the ball or push it 45* right. When I hit it well it has a high trajectory, but that’s a 1 in 5 chance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have had a 7w before and liked it. I now carry a Rogue X 4 hybrid that works similar to a 7w. I really like it as the X model is a little bigger than most hybrids but a little smaller than a 7w. Works for me.

I play a Taylormade 2017 M2 HL 5 which is 21*, so it's really a 7 wood. It matches my 15* 3 wood and my 18* 5 wood. I can carry it about 170 yards when the weather is warm. I've never been able to play hybrids consistently. 

I have a Founders Fresh Metal 7 wood in  the bag.  Very solid club and you can pick up new at a good price.  Nice ball flight and good feeling club.

5 hours ago, Osnola said:

I have a Founders Fresh Metal 7 wood in  the bag.  Very solid club and you can pick up new at a good price.  Nice ball flight and good feeling club.

I see they are on sale for $45.95. Never heard of them before but you say you like the club, interesting. Better then the hundreds of dollars I've paid for a club. I've been thinking about a 9W but it would overlap with my hybrids I think, maybe better ball flight??

Just ordered a G400 5-wood (19 degrees). Will hopefully work perfectly on two par-threes at my home course (195 yards).
My spoon goes 210 and the 7-wood 180, so should fill the gap nicely :-) 

1 hour ago, barnum1 said:

Just ordered a G400 5-wood (19 degrees). Will hopefully work perfectly on two par-threes at my home course (195 yards).
My spoon goes 210 and the 7-wood 180, so should fill the gap nicely :-) 

Nice, best if luck with it.

Not in a while. But I prefer it over a 5-wood. I currently carry a 2-iron utility. But thinking a second fairway wood such as a 7-wood could be beneficial. But Srixon doesn’t have a F85 7-wood. (Oh wait they do... in Japan)

This one goes to 11.

#11 FAIRWAY WOOD >> Is Your Best Choice A Standard 5 Iron? Or A Fairway Wood #11-Some golfers should carry a #11 fairway wood because of it's ability to hit with height, forgiveness, and...

When I was fitted for irons there was very little yardage difference between my 5 and 4. My 5 iron tops out about 175, my 5 wood at 200. The 7 wood fit in between there nicely. Picked up a Ping.

Is there a reason to pick the 7/9/11 wood over their respective hybrids.  My preference is for the hybrids because it is a more accurate club.  Only have a 4 hybrid in my bag and currently my next highest iron is a 5, but I rarely hit that these days.  

Hybrid or fairway wood? I guess it depends on your swing.
I don't hit my irons very well anymore, and hybrids are similar to irons in how you hit the ball.
So for me fairway woods work much better.

On 3/27/2020 at 3:57 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

When I was fitted for irons there was very little yardage difference between my 5 and 4. My 5 iron tops out about 175, my 5 wood at 200. The 7 wood fit in between there nicely. Picked up a Ping.

Nice, which PIng?