IGNORED

Graphite Shafts Necessary in Wedges?

Sammydreep
Note: This thread is 1549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Bill and Erik, I know you love to remove my stuff

I don’t know what you’re talking about, but let’s get back to the actual topic, thanks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

This is for you, my dear friends.  I am putting this here specifically to refute the demand that I speak more about the word "huh".

"The ball may tend to draw a bit more from the forward bending of the shaft at impact causing the face to rotate past square to be slightly closed. However, if the golfer happens to slice or fade the ball, this actually could help reduce such a misdirection tendency. "

This quote can be found under the heading:

Possible Outcomes When Using a Shaft That Is Too Flexible for Your Swing

What happens when you use golf clubs with the wrong shaft flex? Things that hurt your score. Here are some specific examples of possible problems.

I used the words "spring action" while this author used the words "forward bending"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to put some more quotes here.  But I do not feel like it.  The words are there for you to see.  Any implication you read of a claim of advantage comes from your interpretation of my words rather than the words themselves.  I made no such claim.

Bill and Erik, I know you love to remove my stuff, but I ask you to leave this here so I can defend myself against these accusations from lefty.

Do tell, Lefty, because again you attack me for no apparent reason...where are my ignorant words you speak of?

I tend to hit it high and right (I'm righthanded) when playing with shafts that are too flexible.

8 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

Bill and Erik, I know you love to remove my stuff, but I ask you to leave this here so I can defend myself against these accusations from lefty.

Do tell, Lefty, because again you attack me for no apparent reason...where are my ignorant words you speak of?

Erik is trying to end this, which is understandable, but since you ask, here you go:

24th January, 2020 8:07 a.m. "I bet there is some advantage in some way." without any supporting information.

Sure bud.  I will spell it out for you.  For a person who needs the reduced weight or extra loft then graphite is an advantage.  I do not know of anyone like that, and it seems strange to me to need those things.  But the potential for such an advantage is there and it does not mean that such people do not exist.  I never, ever endorsed graphite shafts on wedges nor did I imply such an endorsement.  The totality of the thoughts I expressed in each post have only ever been dubious on the need for such things. You really should have known that and you should have kept your snark to yourself rather than picking fragments to harp on.

And now I am done with you.

I see no issue with graphite shafts on wedges. If it gives you confidence over the ball go for it. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

50 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Sure bud.  I will spell it out for you.  For a person who needs the reduced weight or extra loft then graphite is an advantage.  I do not know of anyone like that, and it seems strange to me to need those things.  But the potential for such an advantage is there and it does not mean that such people do not exist.  I never, ever endorsed graphite shafts on wedges nor did I imply such an endorsement.  The totality of the thoughts I expressed in each post have only ever been dubious on the need for such things. You really should have known that and you should have kept your snark to yourself rather than picking fragments to harp on.

I went with graphite to help with shock absorption due to arthritis in my hands. I went with stiff Recoil 95 shafts. They didn't really add height to my shots. I picked up a bit of distance, but not a lot, and that was not a motivation in going to graphite. I'm 65, play at 6700 yards, and still hit it plenty long enough with either steel or graphite to play from that distance.

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I hope you feel better. But maybe you should have spelt things out BEFORE making your original claim that you don't know how or why something would be of benefit but would bet on it anyway. You only made your dubious justifications AFTER you were pressed to do so.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

This is for you, my dear friends.  I am putting this here specifically to refute the demand that I speak more about the word "huh".

You could have just addressed it when I asked about it. Instead, you had to behave like a jerk, THEN after I said "moving on," continue to post.

"The ball may tend to draw a bit more from the forward bending of the shaft at impact causing the face to rotate past square to be slightly closed. However, if the golfer happens to slice or fade the ball, this actually could help reduce such a misdirection tendency. "

The shaft is normally in forward deflection at impact, whether you're talking about steel or graphite. Might it kick a little more with a graphite shaft? Maybe, maybe not. Graphite shafts can be stiff and/or heavy, too.

I was going to put some more quotes here.  But I do not feel like it.  The words are there for you to see.  Any implication you read of a claim of advantage comes from your interpretation of my words rather than the words themselves.  I made no such claim.

You did. That is not up for debate.

Bullshit.

You admitted the ignorance, and then get pissed when someone agrees?

Now and again, move along. Further posts will be removed and warning points given.

And in general:

• Speak on topics that you know about, or say "I don't know much here, but I think…" or "I've heard…" or whatever.
  • Stop getting your panties in a twist. If you're reading a "tone" or something into text, YOU are the one adding the tone. Text has no tone.
  • Realize that we're talking about a stupid game where you whack a ball into a gopher hole with a f***ed-up looking stick.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

All my irons are graphite but my wedges were steel , much heavier feel, so I kept my PW but bought a Cleveland CBX GW, (52*) with a graphite shaft, feels much better. Don't know what to do about the SW, I like the weight for getting out of the sand but I may switch that out too.

My irons are matched , Graphite shafts through to Gap Wedge.

I have an older Vokey 58* , and an SM7 M grind 54* both steel shafts ,8* bounce, wedge flex

The 58 has a really nice feel to it which is why I bought the newer model  54* SM7.

I ground the face of the 58 to allow me to really open the face, so I guess it’s a bit lighter.

The SM7 is way heavier than the 58 and the graphite gap wedge, I just don’t like the feel of it , hence my confusion.

I feel it is really a personal preference. My irons are graphite, so are my LW, SW, PW. I have arthritis in my fingers so it takes extra effort to hold/swing anything heavy. I can get a better feel with graphite. 

My instructor always tells me “Don’t change anything if it is working” and that applies to both my swing and my clubs.

Edited by FlyingAce

Note: This thread is 1549 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!