dagolfer18

Season Starts Soon!

35 posts / 1381 viewsLast Reply

My golf season is starting in just under three weeks! What we’ll do is practice for a few weeks before our first match on March 2. Anytime we play, I’ll post about it here and on “What’d You Shoot Today?”. Also, if I have any crazy stories from practice, I’ll post those here as well. We do a lot of fun things at practice, from going out and playing a few holes to competitions on the practice green. Our favorite wager: pushups. I’ve got a few crazy stories from last year, so I can put those here too if you want! Definitely looking forward to the season. Just some info from last season:

•My scoring average last season was something in the neighborhood of 48.5, with a low score of 45. Hoping to bring that average down to 45 this season.

•We made it to regionals as a team last year as one of the top three teams in our conference. At regionals, we played okay, but came up well short, placing ninth out of 12. Top two teams go to state level, and top twelve individuals go to states as well, which leads me to my third point:

•We had two of our team members (neither of which were me) go to states.

And the final point:

•I made a 10 on my last hole of the season. The last hole of regionals, with my family and just about the whole team watching. If you want to know the hole, look up Keith Hills Golf Club, Orange Course #9. Drive to the center of the fairway, then knocked one in the hazard. Dropped, then into the bunker. Took four to get out and onto the green, and then I two-putted.

So, there you go. Looking forward to posting my performance this season!

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

Here’s one of my stories from last year’s practice. We were doing a closest to the hole challenge on the practice green, with four or five of us. Closest got a point, and at the end, the winner did no pushups, and everyone else did ten pushups per point they lost by. In the middle of the game, one of my teammates picked a chip that was about 40 feet, sloping gently from right to left. My coach came up to me and said, “Just go ahead and make this. I want these guys to do pushups.” Just seconds later, my ball dropped in. Nobody else chipped in, so I got the point. I think I had 20 pushups at the end.

Edited by dagolfer18

You southern guys and your "golf seasons".

Mine is still so far off, it hurts to think about.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I made a grave mistake when I played yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I made a grave mistake when I played yesterday.

You really went out in that. ... Thought about myself for a second. Went out to throw some trash in the can and knew it wasn't happening. 

Did you make it all 18?

On 1/25/2020 at 12:02 AM, dagolfer18 said:

•We made it to regionals as a team last year as one of the top three teams in our conference. At regionals, we played okay, but came up well short, placing ninth out of 12. Top two teams go to state level, and top twelve individuals go to states as well, which leads me to my third point:

•We had two of our team members (neither of which were me) go to states.

How many scores count for the team portion? Surprising you guys finished 9th out of 12 when your team had two of the top 12 individual scores.

Looking forward to hearing more about your season!

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

You really went out in that. ... Thought about myself for a second. Went out to throw some trash in the can and knew it wasn't happening. 

Did you make it all 18?

Yeah. Played hills (walking in about 2:15)  35 when I got out of the car, 37 when I got back in. If only those were scores and not temperatures. 

1 hour ago, klineka said:

How many scores count for the team portion? Surprising you guys finished 9th out of 12 when your team had two of the top 12 individual scores.

Looking forward to hearing more about your season!

For normal matches, six play and top 4 scores count. Same thing for regionals, except only five play. The team that placed first had a sub-300 score, second wasn’t far off. We shot probably 325. The winning team had something like 73-73-75-76. Our lowest score was 82.

Sub 300 is a pretty impressive high school team. The winner of my son's district tournament in Ohio was a 342 and the winner of the state tournament was over 308/307 over the 2 days of the tournament.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, mcanadiens said:

Yep! Rat bastards the lot of them! I figure we have at least 2 months before we can really start slogging around in the slop hunting for plugged balls! My buddy signed me up for a 2 man scramble league for this year without my knowledge! I have no idea when the season starts. He says he'll let me know! As he recalls, they tee off Friday mornings at 9AM. Yet another reminder of why I hate rising early now that I've retired! 

10 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yep! Rat bastards the lot of them! I figure we have at least 2 months before we can really start slogging around in the slop hunting for plugged balls! My buddy signed me up for a 2 man scramble league for this year without my knowledge! I have no idea when the season starts. He says he'll let me know! As he recalls, they tee off Friday mornings at 9AM. Yet another reminder of why I hate rising early now that I've retired! 

Down here, we'll probably have some days in March that are passable. Of course by that time, I won't be able to leave the office unless it is to eat, sleep or use the bathroom.

Then again, your being retired and having this to deal with sounds worse. At least I got a distraction. 

Aw, I guess I won't mind too much once I settle into the routine. Besides, I start waking up when we get some grey light in the sky. That light occurs earlier in the Spring and Summer. And with my sinuses the first hour, hour and a half, of every day are given over to dripping, draining, and unclogging! 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:14 AM, mcanadiens said:

Down here, we'll probably have some days in March that are passable. Of course by that time, I won't be able to leave the office unless it is to eat, sleep or use the bathroom.

Tax man?

On 1/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, mcanadiens said:

The furry rodent predicted early Spring, so we are likely to get 12 more weeks of winter weather with a little warmth thrown in the middle of the week now and then to torture us.

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The furry rodent predicted early Spring, so we are likely to get 12 more weeks of winter weather with a little warmth thrown in the middle of the week now and then to torture us.

This has more of a rainy, muddy slop-fest feel to it than straight Ohio winter. But, you never know. Stuff will probably change 5 times before its April.

For me, it's more of a torture on those weekends when it's 60-plus and sunny and I'm chained to the desk. Watching all those normal people having fun.