IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

On 5/12/2022 at 5:34 PM, mdl said:

But that's not what's happening. PGA tour players aren't full time employees nor contractors with a contract committing them to full time. They've entered into an agreement with a buyer to supply at least 15 tournament appearances per year. They can choose (almost) any 15 weeks a year.

I like Paul Goydos take on the "independent contractor" issue:

• Thumbs Up 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

His take, and the legal take could be different. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His take, and the legal take could be different. 

My best guess, if it ever went to trial, the result would be somewhere between the "lifetime ban" bluster and the "we're totally independent, the Tour has no power" bluster.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The quotes from Charley Hoffman and Webb are sure something:

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

9 hours ago, DeadMan said:

In addition to that, if you want forgiveness, there has to be remorse. I don't think there is any public remorse from Phil, and he seems to be quietly doubling down on everything with LIV. Even his statement after all this stuff came out was very much a non-apology.

Yeah, Phil hasn't even come close to saying "I made a mistake, please forgive me." People are allowed to react how they want.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ricky Fowler ‘has considered’ the LIV? That’s surprising to me.

AgEXQWw4YnJTY3NFUlpPUHUyVlFrV1lVNGcAMA

TULSA, OKLAHOMA - MAY 16: Rickie Fowler of the United States is interviewed by the media prior to...

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

TULSA, OKLAHOMA - MAY 16: Rickie Fowler of the United States is interviewed by the media prior to...

The only thing surprising to me is that so many people are surprised by the idea that professional golfers might be interested in earning tens of millions just for appearing.

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I don't have anything against Rickie, but he's always been more of a marketing guy for his brand than a serious competitor.  I'm sure he wants to win, but I get the vibe that he'd take 1 million Instagram followers for his PIP haul than a trophy.

Also, LIV is no cuts, and sure money...he's not playing well so I'm sure it's better for him.

—Adam

On 5/17/2022 at 7:14 AM, Pretzel said:

The only thing surprising to me is that so many people are surprised by the idea that professional golfers might be interested in earning tens of millions just for appearing.

My surprise comes from the obvious ethical side of playing for the LIV. I think Rickie should be quite grateful that he’s made millions of dollars for not being very good. He says the PGA TOUR could do better? Yeah, so could he. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 5/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, Pretzel said:

If Apple decided to sponsor a new golf league I don't think we would be having the same discussion, this is about who you are getting in bed with and how you are holding your nose for more money.   None of these guys that LIV wants are struggling.   They want big names, or at least people recognizable.   If the Saudis weren't involved, I think the discussion simply comes down to not having loyalty to the PGA Tour that gave them the nice lives they have.   And it's certainly a lot more understandable.

I'm in technology and I will not interview with Facebook, despite them calling every few months.   I think their business model and ethics are completely out of line with my morals and ethics and until I see some change, I wouldn't want to work there.   We aren't talking millions, but it would be more money and I choose not to work for somewhere that thinks that any activity it can track on any app/webpage you go to is fair game.  Aside from other things.   There are limits.  

—Adam

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I think Rickie should be quite grateful that he’s made millions of dollars for not being very good. He says the PGA TOUR could do better? Yeah, so could he. 

I was surprised to see Rickie's comments about LIV. I don't think he is in the top 100 in FedEx or OWGR. At this point in his career he seems to make his money off endorsements, so I'm not sure where we would see the Grant Thorton "playing through" commercial if he's not playing in the PGA Tour.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Disappointing words by Rickie, but goes to show how loud money talks. Louder than systematic murder and oppression it seems.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

Disappointing words by Rickie, but goes to show how loud money talks. Louder than systematic murder and oppression it seems.

Losing a lot also plays into this. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Frankly, if there are no cuts and everyone gets paid regardless, is it really a tournament? Sounds more like an exhibition to me. Come play for the Saudi Royal Family, the folks the brought you 9 11 2001.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Losing a lot also plays into this. 

Of course, and losing means less money in the bank. I doubt he’s considering it to make him play better.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Frankly, if there are no cuts and everyone gets paid regardless, is it really a tournament? Sounds more like an exhibition to me. Come play for the Saudi Royal Family, the folks the brought you 9 11 2001.

WGCs have no cut. Yes it is still a tournament. They aren’t all paid the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Zeph said:

Of course, and losing means less money in the bank. I doubt he’s considering it to make him play better.

Yes, however lesser competition could lead to playing better. By that maybe looser and more confidence. All probably related. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

On 5/16/2022 at 8:18 AM, DaveP043 said:

The issue is "independent contractor" plus monopsony, not "independent contractor" in a vaccuum.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I read Alan Shipnuck’s book on Phil today. A fascinating glimpse into Phil as a person. What struck me was how much of surface Phil (aggressive, arrogant, bombastic, generous) is pretty much Phil deep down. I didn’t really learn anything about him that I didn’t already know in a broad sense, which I didn’t expect 

One of my friends made a joke once about how if he could just ride a hot streak of golf he could make the tour and buddy that does feel how Phil has led his life — knife-edging everything and making it up down the road juuuust enough to keep the party going 

Really sad we are where are now with him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter