IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

I also saw on Twitter that his LIV press conference has him whining about not going home, not having enough time for friends and family.   He's missed weddings...   STFU!   He's already so rich he can go home anytime he wants and miss something, not to mention it's not like he works a regular job and gets 2-4 weeks off a year and has to budget.

• Like 1

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It’s a rare thing for me to post something about Gary Player I agree with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

14 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I also saw on Twitter that his LIV press conference has him whining about not going home, not having enough time for friends and family.   He's missed weddings...   STFU!   He's already so rich he can go home anytime he wants and miss something, not to mention it's not like he works a regular job and gets 2-4 weeks off a year and has to budget.

I would think a lot of the reason he hasn't gone home is that Australia has had strict entry requirements for a lot of the pandemic. I think you had to spend 2 weeks in quarantine upon entering, even if you were vaccinated, until recently. But that really doesn't have much to do with LIV v. PGA.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

11 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I have to agree with you on this note. I always cringe just a bit when athletes from any sport complain about the hours they have to put in. I get it, you worked hard to get where you are. But what you do for a living a lot of us do for vacation. And there are plenty of folks putting in tons of hours and not getting to do so in beautiful places, and not earning anywhere near the amount of dollars. It's called life. 

We've all missed things because of our careers. Again, it's called life. 

I too appreciate HV3 coming out and admitting he did it for the money. It wouldn't have been my choice, but at least he didn't say "To Grow the Game". 🤮

BTW - He should not have been surprised by the hate. In today's world? Where everyone has a voice? Honestly, what did he expect? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Wha wha wha wha wha.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0901%2Fr1055742_

British Open champion Cameron Smith said on Wednesday he felt it was unfair that those who joined LIV Golf are not receiving world ranking points and hopes that changes before his exemption into golf's four...

I wonder if this is part of a strategy to say PGAT is a Monopoly since they are using their influence to prevent LIV players from getting OWGR points which then impacts their ability to play in some events that provide eligibility at least in part on OWGR Points.  I realized that PGAT is only one of several founding members of OWGR and one of many eligible tours so it may not be a strong argument, but it may be part of a larger strategy in the court case to show their influence in the market and ability to cut off access to some events for LIV Players.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

How can Liv players expect world ranking points if they are guaranteed to play 54 holes and 54 holes only? 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

It’s a rare thing for me to post something about Gary Player I agree with. 

Gary is literally sponsored by Golf Saudi, so…

26 minutes ago, StuM said:

I wonder if this is part of a strategy to say PGAT is a Monopoly since they are using their influence to prevent LIV players from getting OWGR points which then impacts their ability to play in some events that provide eligibility at least in part on OWGR Points.  I realized that PGAT is only one of several founding members of OWGR and one of many eligible tours so it may not be a strong argument, but it may be part of a larger strategy in the court case to show their influence in the market and ability to cut off access to some events for LIV Players.

Thing is, from what I understand, OWGR points have a one-year waiting period anyway, during which time they have to demonstrate that they can meet conditions. You can't just say "Hey, we're having a tournament, give us points" from what I understand.

5 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

How can Liv players expect world ranking points if they are guaranteed to play 54 holes and 54 holes only? 

OWGR points are available for many 54-hole events.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The one bit of the whole LIV experience that I didn't particularly consider is how they decide who competes in these events and who doesn't. 

From what I read, the recent signings have meant that an entire team of Japanese players just got scratched from the Boston event. They were previously called Torque GC.  Now it is a team captained by Niemann.

What a strange bit of business. You sign on for big bucks and then told to stay home.

2 hours ago, Friz said:

While anyone leaving for LIV is pretty much off my radar for the rest of their career, I at least have to respect Harold Varner for being the first guy to be legitimately honest about why he left.  Spoiler - its for the money, and he owned it.

image.png.f38321f9fb6bca59bf19b70f2760be8a.png

HVIII with one of the more honest statements. However it still feels disingenuous to me. HVIII has earned more than $10 million on the PGA Tour (more than most people earn in a lifetime of work), and who knows how much else from stuff like sponsorships. Saying this ensures his kid has a solid base to start on comes off a little entitled - his kid(s) and probably grandkids and great grandkids would likely have been fine with him staying with the PGA Tour. I do appreciate that he wants to "forge pathways for kids interested in golf", as this is the first statement from a LIV player that I can think of about actually growing the game.

I don't get Cam Smith's quote:

"It's still super competitive out here. I just really think it's a little bit unfair."

He hasn't teed it up for LIV yet, how does he know how competitive it is?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

6 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

HVIII with one of the more honest statements. However it still feels disingenuous to me. HVIII has earned more than $10 million on the PGA Tour (more than most people earn in a lifetime of work), and who knows how much else from stuff like sponsorships. Saying this ensures his kid has a solid base to start on comes off a little entitled - his kid(s) and probably grandkids and great grandkids would likely have been fine with him staying with the PGA Tour. I do appreciate that he wants to "forge pathways for kids interested in golf", as this is the first statement from a LIV player that I can think of about actually growing the game.

HV3 is like the guy who walks into traffic court and says "But Your Honor, I was only going 2-3 mph over the speed limit" instead of the guy who claims he wasn't speeding at all.   Closer to the truth, but ....

Reminds me of the NBA player whose contact "wasn't enough to feed my family".   

—Adam

8 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I don't get Cam Smith's quote:

He hasn't teed it up for LIV yet, how does he know how competitive it is?

Kind of makes you wonder what they think it takes for "generational wealth" to be attained. I always felt like $1 million well managed would pretty much ensure a least a very comfortable life for multiple generations.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, iacas said:

OWGR points are available for many 54-hole events.

I did not know that. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I did not know that. 

Yeah. They give out reduced points, but they still award points. 72 holes is not a bare minimum threshold across the board.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Kind of makes you wonder what they think it takes for "generational wealth" to be attained. I always felt like $1 million well managed would pretty much ensure a least a very comfortable life for multiple generations.

Disagree.

ab3207ef03185d56702357d97e6c4e25

It has long been a rule of thumb to have $1 million saved for a comfortable retirement; but, thanks to inflation, the youngest generation of workers likely will need three times as much. According to...

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. They give out reduced points, but they still award points. 72 holes is not a bare minimum threshold across the board.

That Freddy quote was solid gold!  Honestly, LIV talking points that these players deliver is like the crappy solutions that people push at work.  Delivered with about as much authenticity as the Driver Distance cheat from another thread.

—Adam

16 minutes ago, StuM said:

Disagree.

ab3207ef03185d56702357d97e6c4e25

It has long been a rule of thumb to have $1 million saved for a comfortable retirement; but, thanks to inflation, the youngest generation of workers likely will need three times as much. According to...

Interesting. Althought I wasn't talking about living a comfortable retirement. I meant to live comfortably. Still work but have a good amount of available funds to enjoy life. I didn't expect people to never work while living on that 1 million for generations.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

18 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Interesting. Althought I wasn't talking about living a comfortable retirement. I meant to live comfortably. Still work but have a good amount of available funds to enjoy life. I didn't expect people to never work while living on that 1 million for generations.

Maybe on top of the money a person saves on their own, but not that $1m alone.  Hopefully, we will all stop working at some point and the funds need to survive those retirement years to be passed to the next generation.   Assuming retire at 65 and live to 85+ that is 20+ years that funds needs to survive that time period.  And 20 years inflation at only 3% means if you need $40,000 at age 65 you will need @ $70,000 at age 85.  Now, current inflation is how much???  I just do not see it lasting multiple generations.  I think we are OT so I say we agree to disagree. 

Stuart M.

6 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I think this just goes back to what I said a while back about the rich losing touch with reality a bit. Flying on a private jet can be exhausting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge