IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/15/2022 at 6:20 AM, iacas said:

The golf world is surprisingly scant on details here. It seems to be either a flirtation or a full out affair or at least single occurrence, or something in between…?

Whatever. I don't really care too much about their off-the-course stuff or the stuff that doesn't affect the golf. Couldn't happen to a pair of nicer dudes, though. 😛

Yeah, it is kind of an Iran-Iraq a pox on both your houses thing.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Augusta has not changed their rules for invitation to The Masters. Current LIV members will be invited if they achieve Augusta's criteria for making The Masters.

Here is there statement..

Statement Regarding the 2023 Masters Tournament

Regrettably, recent actions have divided men’s professional golf by diminishing the virtues of the game and the meaningful legacies of those who built it. Although we are disappointed in these developments, our focus is to honor the tradition of bringing together a preeminent field of golfers this coming April.

Therefore, as invitations are sent this week, we will invite those eligible under our current criteria to compete in the 2023 Masters Tournament. As we have said in the past, we look at every aspect of the Tournament each year, and any modifications or changes to invitation criteria for future Tournaments will be announced in April.

Here is the list of players currently invited...

2023_Masters_Tournament_Invitees.pdf

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Informative 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Augusta has not changed their rules for invitation to The Masters. Current LIV members will be invited if they achieve Augusta's criteria for making The Masters.

Here is there statement..

Statement Regarding the 2023 Masters Tournament

Here is the list of players currently invited...

2023_Masters_Tournament_Invitees.pdf

I saw the same thing, and I'm not surprised.  In the long run (if there IS a long run) I believe that the Ranking Points will end up excluding most of the LIV players.  I think they'll eventually get points, but at relatively low levels based on the format (54 holes, no cut) and the strength of field.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

As we have said in the past, we look at every aspect of the Tournament each year, and any modifications or changes to invitation criteria for future Tournaments will be announced in April.

This statement seems to give Augusta National a path for excluding LIV players in the future, but given LIV's OWGR status, it looks like it won't be necessary in the future for most of LIV's roster, aside from their players who meet other requirements (e.g., lifetime invite for winning The Masters).

Unrelated, but I've observed that there seem to be some LIV players who are outspoken propaganda puppets (Westwood, Phil, etc.), and others like Charl Schwartzel who joined LIV and have just gone about their business. I wonder if the more outspoken players have a different type of (or maybe just larger) financial stake in LIV that requires them to participate in LIV PR more enthusiastically.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On 7/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, JenH said:

Hi All, I'm new to the site but a golfer and golf fan for 40 years. I'm sort of surprised that something like LIV Golf hasn't challenged the PGA before. It seems that most great, successful organizations have challengers and LIV has tossed their hat into the ring along with some serious money to prime the pump and create interest. LIV isn't just nipping at the heels of the PGA. LIV is creating a serious problem for the longevity of the PGA. The PGA needs to step up their marketing (up to 1990's standards) and loosen the tie a bit. If one is a traditionalist, they might side with the PGA's culture/ethos/tradition. But tradition doesn't pay the bills. Being on the tour is EXPENSIVE regardless of ranking and sponsorships. There isn't a single PGA professional that would go on tour just for the tradition of it...it ALL eventually boils down to money and LIV is offering it up to pro's (struggling or not) that never thought they would have a chance at that kind of money. Tiger alluded to the PGA's great "history and tradition" and no one can argue that but tradition is a fickle thing...not long ago it was that same sense of "tradition" that wouldn't allow great men like him in the clubhouse.   

Please don't misunderstand my point. I do NOT agree with the morals of the individuals funding LIV. I'm just a bit miffed that the PGA/The Masters are attempting to portray their organization as the pillar of nondiscrimination and inclusion. It wasn't until 1975 that they would "allow" a black man into The Masters. 

10 minutes ago, JenH said:

It wasn't until 1975 that they would "allow" a black man into The Masters. 

That was 50 years ago. I like to think they've gotten better and have learned a lot in 50 years. I think we all have. 
And I might also argue that exclusion from something is one thing. Beheading people is something all together different. 

• Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1420854830.jpg?w=640

The former European Tour and PGA Tour player said he’s enjoyed his time with the new league, but it has come with a price.

Ummmmm, "no shit"?

What did he expect?

Even if he took a big sum of money to join a rival league that WASN'T funded by the Saudis, he might feel ostracized. I mean…

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

48 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Hardly a "welcome with open arms" from Augusta. More like, "you're still invited because we stand by our honor, but you're not really welcome."

To me it felt a bit like "Well, we can't see a way to not invite you... so... I guess you can come." 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

47 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

To me it felt a bit like "Well, we can't see a way to not invite you... so... I guess you can come." 

Exactly 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

23 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That was 50 years ago. I like to think they've gotten better and have learned a lot in 50 years. I think we all have. 
And I might also argue that exclusion from something is one thing. Beheading people is something all together different. 

Augusta has evolved quickly. With many elements displaying more class and decorum than most of society. However the Saudi regime is still a thousand years behind. Just look what they did to Khashoggi, simply because he offended the king, not to mention other things they do to victimize their underclass. 

I have zero respect for the players or supporters of LIV and they reap what they sow. 

• Administrator
221221110710-01-9-11-families-united-liv

A coalition of families and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks says it will protest at the "front door" of Augusta National Golf Club if the club doesn't reconsider its decision to invite golfers who have played in the...
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, iacas said:

My problem all along with LIV is sportswashing and turning a blind eye to the SA regime and 9-11. It's sad statement about blind greed and how some have forgotten. On top of that add in beheadings and murdering an employee of a US company. 

I got in trouble on another forum for bringing this up. 

Anyway Augusta is kind of between a rock and a hard place. I see it as they want to abide by their word of eligibility, but they also aren't welcoming these LIV guys either. 

2 hours ago, guitarget said:

I wonder if Augusta has a plan if two players start throwing punches on the first tee next April?  Seems to me it's getting fairly vicious out there.

Gary and Jack would never punch each other.  Though maybe Gary would punch his son...

• Funny 3

On 12/22/2022 at 6:20 PM, iacas said:
221221110710-01-9-11-families-united-liv

A coalition of families and survivors of the 9/11 terrorist attacks says it will protest at the "front door" of Augusta National Golf Club if the club doesn't reconsider its decision to invite golfers who have played in the...

It will be interesting to see the tone of the media coverage of this protest compared to the protests years ago about no women members.

• Thumbs Up 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 3