IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

• Administrator

:sigh:

_125410279_mediaitem125410278.jpg

An official tells state TV the items "promote homosexual colours targeting the younger generation".
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's an old saying.  He who touches pitch shall be defiled.

Or the more modern version: "if you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas"

Edited by turtleback

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

15 hours ago, iacas said:

:sigh:

_125410279_mediaitem125410278.jpg

An official tells state TV the items "promote homosexual colours targeting the younger generation".

Were I one of the "names" playing in those exhibitions I'd start wearing a rainbow shirt. Unfortunately, the Saudi's action reminds me of a certain bill that was introduced in a certain state, recently.

• Administrator

https://www.si.com/golf/news/one-of-golfs-most-connected-amateurs-has-much-to-say-on-liv-and-none-of-it-positive

“They’re replaceable,” Dunne said. “Did you know Will Zalatoris two years ago? Did you know Scottie Scheffler? He’s the No. 1 player in the world. The average age of the top 10 is 27. The average age of the ‘I have lost it’ tour is 41. What does that tell you?”

Hmmmmm.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My fear is that the LIV throws a bunch of money at players, enough jump and it becomes the "Prestige Tour" leaving the PGA second status in some way.  Yes the history is there and it's a great place, but money could displace things.

Heck, I wouldn't want one of my favorite corporations owning Professional Golf.  Let alone backed by any government.   Earlier in this topic I mentioned that as part of my resistance it was the Saudi government's response, it's not like Apple or Amazon was starting a tour.  But re-thinking for this post, that does make a difference.  Any company would make it fit into their business model, whereas professional sports largely need to be their own entities.

It's not as bad if what you might consider a "benign company" owning a golf tour, but it's still not optimal.

—Adam

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

My fear is that the LIV throws a bunch of money at players, enough jump and it becomes the "Prestige Tour" leaving the PGA second status in some way.  Yes the history is there and it's a great place, but money could displace things.

Sure, but look at the number of people that they've likely committed to:

1. Phil
  2. Westy
  3. Poulter
  4. McDowell
  5. Oosty
  6. Sergio
  7. DJ
  8. Kaymer
  9. Na
  10. Perez

That means that, at most, they have 38 other spots, because the above list is pretty irrelevant. And that doesn't count some other players that may have contracts.

Not that they couldn't just pay them, and replace them anyway, but… still.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Sure, but look at the number of people that they've likely committed to:

1. Phil
  2. Westy
  3. Poulter
  4. McDowell
  5. Oosty
  6. Sergio
  7. DJ
  8. Kaymer
  9. Na
  10. Perez

That means that, at most, they have 38 other spots, because the above list is pretty irrelevant. And that doesn't count some other players that may have contracts.

Not that they couldn't just pay them, and replace them anyway, but… still.

What will their next season's format be?   Have they said?   If they get more people like Bryson, would they increase the fields?   Someone posted they are trying to get ranking points?   Could this become the single tourney in Saudi Arabia that they used to go to and ignore the PGA Tour event that week?   I mean, most if all will be banned anyway, but does this lead to weeks of the year where there is better competition than what Dunne wrote in his article?

—Adam

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

What will their next season's format be?   Have they said?   If they get more people like Bryson, would they increase the fields?   Someone posted they are trying to get ranking points?   Could this become the single tourney in Saudi Arabia that they used to go to and ignore the PGA Tour event that week?   I mean, most if all will be banned anyway, but does this lead to weeks of the year where there is better competition than what Dunne wrote in his article?

They could obviously change anything at any time, but the company is named LIV = 54 = 54 holes. They like the 12 teams, etc. Except for increasing the # of events and the specific players they supposedly aren't changing things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting thing about the LIV...theyre not actively trying to topple the PGA Tour, and theyre not trying to make money.  Theyre just out there doing their own thing, and they dont really have any need to expand field sizes.  There is a limit to how big they could go with shotgun starts anyway, and tryig to keep the teams thing in play.  But it seems like they have a format they like, their goal would be to get the most attractive players into their fields, but theyre not going to change it just to accomodate another agenda.

I think I read somewhere next year theyre planning 10 events, but otherwise assume the same field size

-Eric

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Friz said:

I think I read somewhere next year theyre planning 10 events, but otherwise assume the same field size

I've heard 10, 12, 14.

14 would put the guys who are eligible at possibly 18 events with the majors. Feels like a lot. Especially since they'd probably be expected to play in all of them, and some guys like to take the week before a major off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I've heard 10, 12, 14.

14 would put the guys who are eligible at possibly 18 events with the majors. Feels like a lot. Especially since they'd probably be expected to play in all of them, and some guys like to take the week before a major off.

And these poor guys left the PGA Tour because they didn't have the flexibility they wanted and the 15 event minimum was too much....and no other more selfish reason

-Eric

3 hours ago, iacas said:

https://www.si.com/golf/news/one-of-golfs-most-connected-amateurs-has-much-to-say-on-liv-and-none-of-it-positive

“They’re replaceable,” Dunne said. “Did you know Will Zalatoris two years ago? Did you know Scottie Scheffler? He’s the No. 1 player in the world. The average age of the top 10 is 27. The average age of the ‘I have lost it’ tour is 41. What does that tell you?”

Hmmmmm.

Hmm... we need to start a list of nicknames for the "I have lost it" tour.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 minutes ago, Friz said:

And these poor guys left the PGA Tour because they didn't have the flexibility they wanted and the 15 event minimum was too much....and no other more selfish reason

Makes me recall Bryson's wish to spend more time with his family...

(HE DOESN'T HAVE ONE YET!)

• Funny 1

—Adam

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Friz said:

No, they left for plenty million more other selfish reasons.

The PGA tour will concede and strike a deal. Too many well knows going to   Play LIV. Sad but true. The leverage is gone come Monday. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

20 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

The PGA tour will concede and strike a deal. Too many well knows going to   Play LIV. Sad but true. The leverage is gone come Monday. 

Varner said he wasn’t going today, which gave me some hope 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

9 hours ago, iacas said:

They could obviously change anything at any time, but the company is named LIV = 54 = 54 holes. They like the 12 teams, etc. Except for increasing the # of events and the specific players they supposedly aren't changing things.

Ahh.  Learn something new every day.  

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

What those jumping probably don’t realize is that they are expendable if/when a better name comes along.

It will be interesting when services are no longer needed and the money stops.

I’m not sure what court options any of the released players have.

There may not be a tournament cut, but…

John

• Like 1