IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

There is a noticeable difference of opinion on this topic among different fora or forums. This has been attributed to generational differences. https://www.si.com/golf/news/harris-poll-shows-pga-tour-vs-liv-shaping-up-to-be-a-generational-battle

I do think that the LIV popularity is exaggerated and/or manufactured (the Portland event was supposedly soldout but few fans were visible on the webcast, and I picked up several free tickets before deciding to play instead of drive two hours). However, there are many people who will attend for the novelty, low price, or because "their guy" has jumped. As far as sportwashing, like many golfers and most agents; many younger people don't care

33 minutes ago, KMP said:

There is a noticeable difference of opinion on this topic among different fora or forums. This has been attributed to generational differences. https://www.si.com/golf/news/harris-poll-shows-pga-tour-vs-liv-shaping-up-to-be-a-generational-battle

I do think that the LIV popularity is exaggerated and/or manufactured (the Portland event was supposedly soldout but few fans were visible on the webcast, and I picked up several free tickets before deciding to play instead of drive two hours). However, there are many people who will attend for the novelty, low price, or because "their guy" has jumped. As far as sportwashing, like many golfers and most agents; many younger people don't care

I love the "sold out" designation.  No mention of capacity, no mention of actual attendance show rate, just "we distributed all the tickets we decided to make available."  It's easy to sell out an event when you can decide on the fly what the capacity is and give all your tickets away for free.

I'm also curious about the language used in their poll...its so easy to skew a poll based on the way questions were asked.  Lots of people that have heard of LIV hate the idea, but are aware of it and have tuned into a tournament for a few minutes simply because it's new and it's controversial.  Does that count toward a positive mark on their poll?

I'd think it would be expected for something like this to have heavier viewership up front and taper off as people lose interest in the controversy

• Upvote 1

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, KMP said:

I agree with @Friz in his points/questions raised regarding wording of the surveys, and I agree that the numbers are likely inflated over the actual interest (I personally don’t know anyone who has watched a LIV event)…but, I can see where the younger generation would be less opposed to it as they won’t have the memories of, or ties to, 911 that us middle-aged folks do. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 hours ago, Friz said:

Talor Gooch after his team won the team portion of the LIV tournament.  🙄

“I haven’t played a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, but I can’t imagine there’s a whole hell of a lot of difference,” Gooch said in a post-match interview. “This was as cool as it gets. We’ve been saying it all week. The energy is just different, it’s awesome.”

Yeah, no. That’s the experience of winning $1.5m when finishing 7th in a mediocre field with no cut. I can imagine that would give you some energy.

TRC and PC doesn’t even have price money, but they are paid out of some purse, though much is also given to charity. Those events are about the team effort, long standing tradtitions, rivalries and honor.

They really picked some great foot-in-the-mouth golfers for LIV, that’s for sure.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Friz said:

“I haven’t played a Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup, but I can’t imagine there’s a whole hell of a lot of difference,” Gooch said in a post-match interview. “This was as cool as it gets. We’ve been saying it all week. The energy is just different, it’s awesome.”

That may be the dumbest thing anyone's said about LIV, yeah.

1 hour ago, csh19792001 said:

Who knew? 

Seriously.

1 hour ago, KMP said:

That's a lousy poll. There's no way this is true:

So while 40% of those 45 years old and younger are familiar with LIV,

There's no way 40% of anyone in the U.S. are familiar with LIV. I don't even know that 40% of U.S. golfers are familiar with LIV, let alone the general population.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Friz said:

I've never had sex before, but I can't imagine there is a whole hell of a lot of difference between sex and masturbation.

• Funny 5

War Eagle!

Surely Gooch said that just to get some attention. He can’t be that stupid.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

British Court is allowing Poulter, Adrian Otaegui, and Justin Harding to play in the Scottish Open despite ban.  Penalties have been postponed during the appeal, so not a final decision yet but they can play in the meantime...

-Eric

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Surely Gooch said that just to get some attention. He can’t be that stupid.

Let's not forget what he said during his initial LIV interview in London

"Also, I'm a golfer. I'm not that smart. I try to hit a golf ball into a small hole. Golf is hard enough.

"I try to worry about golf, and I'm excited about this week."

• Funny 1

-Eric

7 hours ago, Friz said:

I love the "sold out" designation.  No mention of capacity, no mention of actual attendance show rate, just "we distributed all the tickets we decided to make available."  It's easy to sell out an event when you can decide on the fly what the capacity is and give all your tickets away for free.

http://bash.org/?197845 

I don't think I have sent that link in almost two decades.

Also possible:  they sold however many tickets sold, then declared that the capacity.  It wouldn't surprise me. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

13 hours ago, Friz said:

British Court is allowing Poulter, Adrian Otaegui, and Justin Harding to play in the Scottish Open despite ban.  Penalties have been postponed during the appeal, so not a final decision yet but they can play in the meantime...

Headline:   Arsonist complains that smoke got in his eyes"

• Funny 3

—Adam

I'll be honest, I really enjoyed what I watched. I like seeing the teams turn into nationalities.

Edited by cutchemist42

How legitimate is the rumor that a women's version will be created? Not sure if the social media posts I saw were a troll or a joke. The holiday came and forgot about it never really played close attention.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, KMP said:

Link to the actual poll for those interested. Obviously all polls are subject to errors, bias, etc. Make your own conclusions.

22 hours ago, Friz said:

I thought they wanted to play less to spend time with their families. Now they’re suing to stay away from their families.

• Funny 2

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

18 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

I thought they wanted to play less to spend time with their families. Now they’re suing to stay away from their families.

The most relieved people from that court ruling are Ian Poulter's family.

• Funny 5

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Rory keeping his hard line position.  

Rory-McIlroy6.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Rory McIlroy expressed understanding for some players joining LIV Golf but said now that the decision has been...

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

8 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Rory keeping his hard line position.  

Rory-McIlroy6.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Rory McIlroy expressed understanding for some players joining LIV Golf but said now that the decision has been...
RoryJPIreland.jpg

As the PGA Tour, LIV tour and DP World Tour try to figure out the path forward, Rory McIlroy is somewhat softening his stance.

🤔

Edited by iacas