IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well we get this quite often in physician contracts. As an independent contractor, I always had ‘non-compete’ clauses that would not allow me to work at any competitors clinic within a certain mileage range. Not only while employed, but even after I’ve left the position for a specified time period.

Yes, and those clauses include specific compensation for not competing in most cases outside of simply "you have a job if you don't compete". Non-compete clauses can and have been thrown out.

To those saying that you signed a contract so your rights are meaningless, that doesn't apply to contract terms that are in violation of law. Contracts can and do have illegal clauses often, which is why every contract also includes a severability clause to enforce the remainder of the contract if and when any individual term of the contract is declared void in a court of law.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

To those saying that you signed a contract so your rights are meaningless

Nobody has said that.

And there are fine/legal non-competes, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Yes, and those clauses include specific compensation for not competing

They do not.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/charles-barkley-says-he-will-talk-to-liv-golf-about-opportunity

I actually hope this comes about.  I can't think of a better addition than having Charles Barkley as one of their "analysts".

John

Edit added:  I read that Charles jokingly said that he'd kill a relative for for $200 million.  With that statement I don't think he has a clue who he is dealing with.

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/charles-barkley-says-he-will-talk-to-liv-golf-about-opportunity

I actually hope this comes about.  I can't think of a better addition than having Charles Barkley as one of their "analysts".

John

Edit added:  I read that Charles jokingly said that he'd kill a relative for for $200 million.  With that statement I don't think he has a clue who he is dealing with.

Or apparently excuse the death of 3,000 innocent people. 🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Man, is Talor Gooch serious he thought he'd still be able to play the PGA Tour along with LIV? It's sad how little these guys probably thought about this decision. Oh well. 

On another note, I feel like LIV has an opportunity here to gain more fans by announcing a shot clock next week. Great time to capitalize on the six-hour rounds at St.Andrews and to stick it to the home of golf a little bit, plus the PGA Tour in a way as well.

image.png

I'm sure it's slower on the back nine on Sundays. I'm not sure what the number should be. 54 seconds?

EDIT: Wanted to clarify that time chart above is in seconds, just in case there was any confusion.

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

17 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Man, is Talor Gooch serious he thought he'd still be able to play the PGA Tour along with LIV? It's sad how little these guys probably thought about this decision. Oh well. 

Talor reminds me of some of my students.  I warn student up front that plagiarism carries a heavy penalty, both in the class and at the university level.  They have to acknowledge this warning to be eligible to submit anything for credit.  I still regularly get students who are caught plagiarizing asking me if, instead of the typical penalty (F in the class and referral for university level discipline), they can get a mulligan and no referral.  They don't use that phrasing though.  

But no one has ever compared an assignment in my classes to the Ryder Cup, so Talor has that going for him, which is nice. 

• Funny 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

On another note, I feel like LIV has an opportunity here to gain more fans by announcing a shot clock next week. Great time to capitalize on the six-hour rounds at St.Andrews and to stick it to the home of golf a little bit, plus the PGA Tour in a way as well.

image.png

I'm sure it's slower on the back nine on Sundays. I'm not sure what the number should be. 54 seconds?

EDIT: Wanted to clarify that time chart above is in seconds, just in case there was any confusion.

The only world rankings that Gooch is climbing up in, is the idiocy rankings.   

The way it's being talked about, you might do a double take and think minutes.   Hope they finish before the FedEx Cup.

• Funny 2

—Adam

Gooch's response smacks of assurances by Greg Norman that the PGA Tour would not really ban players and that if they did they would back down as soon as there were threats of lawsuits.

I don't think it is a ploy for sympathy as I believe Gooch when he said he is not a smart person.  I'm not sure why he is even bring it up.  He is getting over-compensated and should just move on from the PGA Tour.  People have made much worse life changing decisions.

John

4 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

I believe Gooch when he said he is not a smart person.  I'm not sure why he is even bring it up. 

Seriously - he might be the dumbest golfer I've ever seen that's had a mic put in front of him.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I’ve yet to hear a credible argument why these players should be banned from majors.  The majors aren’t exclusive to the PGA Tour/DPWT. They should want the best players in their fields. 

The PIF argument is growing old quickly. At least show some consistencies and rip the ladies and womens game supported by the same money. 

Also quite ironic that one of the majors you all drool over is rooted and founded in terrible American atrocities and inequity and prides itself in exclusion. But their form of sports washing makes u all ignore it? Have the backbone to acknowledge this farce. I’m guessing it will be tough as many here are middle aged white guys. 

There is no doubt we could talk geopolitical garbage endlessly, that is not why we are here.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Brock said:

There is no doubt we could talk geopolitical garbage endlessly, that is not why we are here.

It isn't, but that's a reason why some people may want to keep them out of some majors. Jimmy Dunne has some power at Augusta National, and I imagine he might find the idea of excluding Talor Gooch from the Masters to be "credible."

7 hours ago, Brock said:

They should want the best players in their fields.

If they wanted the strongest fields they wouldn't be "open" and the Masters wouldn't be a small invitational with so many returning champions.

7 hours ago, Brock said:

The PIF argument is growing old quickly. At least show some consistencies and rip the ladies and womens game supported by the same money.

You cannot comprehend that those are different? Do you put gas in your car, man?!?! C'mon. There's room for nuance.

7 hours ago, Brock said:

Also quite ironic that one of the majors you all drool over is rooted and founded in terrible American atrocities and inequity and prides itself in exclusion.

Watch the step down from your high horse, man.

Also, founded in? And that was recent, then? Or during my lifetime? Or, to put it another way… I guess there's no room for nuance after all. Augusta National is just the same as the Saudi government. Got it.

I think it's a stretch too say it "prides itself in exclusion" these days, too.

7 hours ago, Brock said:

Have the backbone to acknowledge this farce. I’m guessing it will be tough as many here are middle aged white guys. 

Many of us here are capable of more than binary thought, I can tell you that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, The Flush said:

Gotta wonder how much LIV paid him to try to sell shotgun starts during a major

If I ever see a shotgun in a major, I hope its being used to keep Greg Norman off the property

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

-Eric

• Administrator