IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

3 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Surprised no one has used this meme yet in the replies. Seems apt. 

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Max has you covered

• Funny 1

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Who is LeslieAnne Wade?

Founder @WhiteTeePartner. Advisor to American Athletic Conference. Past VP @160over90, BD Faldo Enterprises, Ex SVP CBS Sports, past USA Networks, Dir of Comms.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, Friz said:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0408%2Fr997068_1

Jason Kokrak, who is ranked 36th in the Official World Golf Ranking, and Charles Howell III, who is ranked 173rd, have...

I am very upset to see CH3 go.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Stenson, CH3, Jason Kokrak and now Shooter. His taking the blood money doesn't surprise me in the least. He's never been the same since he blew the Tour Championship in '96 and always held a grudge against then-commissioner Doug Thompson for the direction he ultimately took the tour. The hits just keep on coming, ugh.

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Funny 4

Constantine

Vegas odds have Shooter at better than 2/3 of the field, and more emotionally stable than Gooch. 

• Funny 2

—Adam

I hope I can continue to say this, but it still remains that insignificant players are joining the LIV series with the exception of 1.5 players. It’s like a pre-Champions Tour.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Stenson, CH3, Jason Kokrak and now Shooter. His taking the blood money doesn't surprise me in the least. He's never been the same since he blew the Tour Championship in '96 and always held a grudge against then-commissioner Doug Thompson for the direction he ultimately took the tour. The hits just keep on coming, ugh.

Another guy going back on his word.  Seems like he was just saying

Let’s get one thing straight, this is Shooter’s tour. I’ve worked hard my whole life, paid my dues, and now it’s Shooter’s turn. And Shooter’s not about to let his reign at the top be spoiled by some freak, sideshow, clown [tour].

• Funny 1

-Eric

Wow, Shooter went to work for what he used to eat for breakfast. 

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I hope I can continue to say this, but it still remains that insignificant players are joining the LIV series with the exception of 1.5 players. It’s like a pre-Champions Tour.

Oldest PR trick in the book - adding names every few days so as to have the perception that everyone is going over.  As you've noted, few of consequence.

Edited by RFKFREAK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

“ The saddest thing in life is wasted talent.”  - A Bronx Tale

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

Although by everything I read CH3 was a very nice guy, let's face it...he was the guy in your office who nobody could ever figure out what the heck he did and he just kind of milled around half the day.   In Simpson's parlance, he was a chair moistener.

That might sound harsh, but what really gets me about a lot of these defectors is that you have to know at this point that this is disruptive and they still go.   The office/company analogy is not perfect but I think it covers enough.   It's one thing to quit and go to a competitor and try your best at your new job; it's another thing to go somewhere unethical and/or trash your former company that used to pay your bills and there are people there that you still should care about.

Not everyone jumping to the LIV is throwing the tour under the bus, but some of the garbage that comes from the others is just plain ungrateful for being given the chance to coast for years and make millions.

• Funny 1

—Adam

I was prepared to post something to the effect of "Charles Howell's LIV signing bonus probably matched his career earnings on the PGA tour." Thankfully, I decided to look up CH's career earnings before posting because I was shocked. Did you know that Howell has earned over $42 million during his PGA tour career? Good for 23rd on the career money list? I suppose that's off topic, but it did surprise me. 

Ok - back on to the topic at hand. By itself, this move does little to hurt the PGA Tour. Neither Kokrak nor Howell moved the needle in any meaningful way and if anything, their "retirement" from the tour should afford more opportunities to some up and coming names. 

With that said, each successive pro who says "yes" to LIV is making it easier for the next guy to do the same. And since most of these guys are probably friends with a bunch of their peers, it's going to be really hard for the middle range tour pro to not look at Howell, Pat Perez, Kokrak and others scoop up millions without having a tinge of envy. 

It now seems very likely that other pros are going to follow suit very soon. If/when Cam Smith goes to LIV, the tour is going to be in serious trouble. And that is a damn shame.

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Oldest PR trick in the book - adding names every few days so as to have the perception that everyone is going over.  As you've noted, few of consequence.

With the finances behind LIV, I really don't think it will go away.

I agree that there is a perception of excitement and something new with LIV.  In the long run this tactic may even be a blessing in disguise for the PGA and DP Tours as people may just not care about the golfers on the LIV Tour.  The consequence is that LIV ends up not being relevant to anyone under 30.

The only real threat to the PGA Tour is if LIV sets up sets up a development tour.  If you are a young aspiring player who is struggling financially while trying to get that break and someone is willing to pay you a $250k salary and pay your expenses until you can make your move onto the big LIV tour, it would probably tough to say no.  Especially if you are not from a family of means and no one else is helping you out.

A lot of pros have stories of how they struggled starting out to make ends meet and get from one event to the next.  I'm sure those experiences have molded their game and the ability to play better under pressure, like Trevino's stories of hustling with empty pockets.  But with no guarantees and so many who never make it, it might be wise for the PGA Tour to take steps to keep young players in the fold; even if it means some degree of subsidizing.

John

Getting guys like Perez, Gooch, Swafford, and CH3 confuses me a little bit. I really wonder what LIV told those guys and what's in their contracts. If they get the top players they're really after, those guys are going to be out the door. We've already seen what's happened with people like Ogletree. We're not going to see him on LIV again. What's stopping LIV from booting anybody else?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Getting guys like Perez, Gooch, Swafford, and CH3 confuses me a little bit. I really wonder what LIV told those guys and what's in their contracts. If they get the top players they're really after, those guys are going to be out the door. We've already seen what's happened with people like Ogletree. We're not going to see him on LIV again. What's stopping LIV from booting anybody else?

This is what I keep wondering.  I have a very hard time believing these guys are leaving without a multi-year deal and guarantees they'll be able to play in every event.  And LIV only has room to do that 48 times.  Just looking at the field for their next event, I'd estimate there could be 30-35 guys, at least, that could have some version of that

So what happens when LIV gets to 48 guaranteed contracts?  Do they stop poaching or do they start terminating contracts early?

-Eric

40 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Although by everything I read CH3 was a very nice guy, let's face it...he was the guy in your office who nobody could ever figure out what the heck he did and he just kind of milled around half the day.   In Simpson's parlance, he was a chair moistener.

That might sound harsh, but what really gets me about a lot of these defectors is that you have to know at this point that this is disruptive and they still go.   The office/company analogy is not perfect but I think it covers enough.   It's one thing to quit and go to a competitor and try your best at your new job; it's another thing to go somewhere unethical and/or trash your former company that used to pay your bills and there are people there that you still should care about.

Not everyone jumping to the LIV is throwing the tour under the bus, but some of the garbage that comes from the others is just plain ungrateful for being given the chance to coast for years and make millions.

If he changed his first name to Thurston, he would have been noticed more.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 minute ago, Friz said:

Do they stop poaching or do they start terminating contracts early?

My guess is that it would be similar to other pro sports - if  LIV Golf player becomes expendable, they keep the guaranteed money and lose the rest.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1