IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

But, we all have short attention spans these days. In time, people may move past it and focus on other things. Of course, that may also mean ignoring LIV altogether. As near as I can tell, nobody gives a poop about it other than golfers and people with rubs against the Saudi government.  

Whether the Saudis ever get the result they were hoping for remains to be seen. Seemed like a lame idea to me from the start. 

This seems the most likely result to me...so much of the attention they're getting right now is because it's new and it's controversial.  The new factor is already going away, and the controversial part isnt doing favors.  If people quit caring about the controversial part, it's probably just going to reduce eyeballs on the product as well.  I dont know how many are watching just because they like the product, especially in time slots directly competing with the PGA Tour, but it doesn't seem like that's a big number.

I'm just waiting to see what happens if it's considered a failure or flop and their lone revenue stream is pulled.  May be a few years before that, but a lot of golfers could be out of work

• Thumbs Up 1

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

There was some sort of countdown which I didn't understand (and I was watching on mute so heard no explanation).

Well, I think the countdown was remaining time until the round started. So I guess I was watching previously recorded coverage from the London tournament.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I did the same 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

7 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I think the Saudis have to really stick with it and blow a lot of money in the process before the results (such as they are) turn positive. But, we all have short attention spans these days. In time, people may move past it and focus on other things. Of course, that may also mean ignoring LIV altogether. As near as I can tell, nobody gives a poop about it other than golfers and people with rubs against the Saudi government.  

Whether the Saudis ever get the result they were hoping for remains to be seen. Seemed like a lame idea to me from the start. 

They've gotten away with it in the Premier League, but then again they didn't aid and abet a 3000 death terror event in the UK.  They forced a Russian oligarch to sell his team out of one side of their mouth while letting Saudi Arabia buy a team out of the other side of their mouth.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Bk looks just as engaged as he does on the PGA tour events. He simply does not care about playing golf. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

2 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Bk looks just as engaged as he does on the PGA tour events. He simply does not care about playing golf. 

I imagine the only thing that gets Brooks engaged is the gym. He desperately wants to have the attention of an NBA star walking into a public place yet pretends he’s not interested. Just a grade A douche bag. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I’m still notified by the number of people critical of Saudi (and rightfully so!) but who also don’t seem bothered by all the nations using sweatshops, child labor, etc to make shoes, clothing, etc for the companies and people of the PGA. I’ve participated heavily in global relief efforts over the years, and just like recent stories on child sex trafficking, human outrage is VERY selective. 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:40 PM, iacas said:

It's funny.

Because we don't support sports washing?

Yep.

The Onion is a riot. I have no qualms with it. 🙂

On 6/30/2022 at 7:33 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

They'll get no support from me. I'm not going to watch. I'm not going to give em even a moment of my viewership. I'm not even going to take the time to look up who "wins". I don't want them in any way misconstruing the facts. I am NOT a fan.

As long as you are equally outraged by all the abuses in the countries that make clothing and other articles for PGA supporting companies, I have no issues with that whatsoever. 👍

14 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

At least he’ll look less interested less often.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

I’m still notified by the number of people critical of Saudi (and rightfully so!) but who also don’t seem bothered by all the nations using sweatshops, child labor, etc to make shoes, clothing, etc for the companies and people of the PGA. I’ve participated heavily in global relief efforts over the years, and just like recent stories on child sex trafficking, human outrage is VERY selective. 

No, buddy. You can “whataboutism” yourself to death. If you draw a line it’s reasonable to draw it just short of here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

I think the line here is the Saudi Government is the sponsor. The Chinese government doesn’t sponsor golf, neither do the governments of the other countries your refer to. Those governments are a huge issue.

The clothing companies are a concern and we can do something about it but voicing it to the PGA and not buying their merchandise. So we are not really being as selective as you state.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I also don't support the LIV tour because IMO the LIV tour is BAD FOR GOLF.

This is the most important part of my refusal to watch. A 54 hole, no cut event is not a proper golf tournament and should not be recognized as such. We don’t stop Super Bowls at the end third quarter when one team is up 28-3 do we? Or Basketball? In hockey, a 2 goal lead with 5:00 to play is the most tenuous lead. We don’t just stop playing.

Their trying to make golf into what Greggy would have loved his majors to be, 54 holes. How many did he blow in the 4th round? The 4th round is where it get really exciting. Players are tired. They’re playing under more pressure. In the first two rounds, making the cut is exciting and difficult and nerve wracking. That’s professional golf, not some pseudo exhibition where I’ve already got 40MM, my career earnings, up front. If I don’t win? Meh, I’ll get to play again no matter what happens.

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Indy-Archer said:

The Onion is a riot. I have no qualms with it. 🙂

As long as you are equally outraged by all the abuses in the countries that make clothing and other articles for PGA supporting companies, I have no issues with that whatsoever. 👍

These things are WORLDS apart…that’s obvious

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No, buddy. You can “whataboutism” yourself to death. If you draw a line it’s reasonable to draw it just short of here.

Exactly

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I think the line here is the Saudi Government is the sponsor. The Chinese government doesn’t sponsor golf

Yep

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

First of all, the great thing about capitalism is that I can support any product I choose to support and help them succeed and I can choose NOT to support any product I choose not to support and hope they fail. I want the LIV tour to fail not only because the Saudi's are responsible for an attack on me and my innocent friends which left 4000 of them dead. And no, I'm not over it. AND yes, I'm still bitter. AND YES, it pisses me off that my kids in school are learning that we need to call 9/11 a "disaster" not a terrorist attack, because "We don't want to offend anyone." 

Second of all, I honestly don't care if you have an issue with me supporting or not supporting the LIV tour. 

Third of all, I also don't support the LIV tour because IMO the LIV tour is BAD FOR GOLF. I want the LIV tour to go away. So, I'm not going to give them the benefit of my clicks.

Lastly, what if I told you I've been to Bangladesh and toured a Nike factory?

• What if I told you that, by local law, the Nike factory has to pay wages that are literally at least twice what a local company would have to pay?
  • What if I told you that the reason you see kids working in those plants is because local culture demands that kids support their elders, and the pay is so good at Nike factories they line up by the hundreds actually looking to get those jobs?
  • What if I told you that families there make family decisions to send as many family members as possible to work in the plants because the pay is so good. The conditions are so much better than at their local schools. The food is so much better?
  • What if I told you a clothing plant in a town in Bangladesh actually raises the standard of living of the people in that town?
  • What if I told you that the people of the towns would be far worst off without the clothing plant in their town? 

There was a guy on here not long ago spouting about seeing things with your own eyes before making judgements. It was ridiculous and impossible. But in this case. I actually have seen what's going on with my own eyes and I'm going to tell you IMO the people of the developing countries are better off WITH the textile plants in their countries than they would be without them. 

BUT, this thread isn't about textile plants. This thread is about the LIV tour. So, back on topic. I DON'T support the LIV tour. For many reasons. Some of which may or may not be rational. Which is my right in a free country. In my opinion, The LIV tour waters down the field. Creates a culture where winning doesn't matter and everyone gets a trophy. And is filled with a bunch of folks who aren't truthful about reasons why they are there. ... There are also political reasons I don't like it, but we avoid politics on this forum. 👍

Well said!

38 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

This is the most important part of my refusal to watch. A 54 hole, no cut event is not a proper golf tournament and should not be recognized as such. We don’t stop Super Bowls at the end third quarter when one team is up 28-3 do we? Or Basketball? In hockey, a 2 goal lead with 5:00 to play is the most tenuous lead. We don’t just stop playing.

Their trying to make golf into what Greggy would have loved his majors to be, 54 holes. How many did he blow in the 4th round?

Exactly

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 6/29/2022 at 9:58 PM, DeadMan said:

FYI the attorney that filed this is a huge joke. This lawsuit isn’t going anywhere. A lawsuit by a LIV player would be much more interesting. 

For anyone wants to read up on the lawyer here, he has his own page on the Southern Poverty Law Center: 

Very interesting!  I figured this had to be a joke just reading the lawsuit.  I'm suing because of my Honda Classic tickets and so forth.  Way too funny.

My prediction will be that the LIV player lawsuits won't come until one of the major championships says no thanks to LIV players.

28 minutes ago, weberd27 said:

Very interesting!  I figured this had to be a joke just reading the lawsuit.  I'm suing because of my Honda Classic tickets and so forth.  Way too funny.

My prediction will be that the LIV player lawsuits won't come until one of the major championships says no thanks to LIV players.

It's sort of a joke because it isn't clear to me he has standing -- and he should know this.  It seems to me it would be similar if you were to sue the Dolphins for cutting your favorite player. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Sergio is ... well, he's being Sergio. No surprise.

TELEMMGLPICT000301426584_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Garcia, 42, is one of 16 pros threatening to sue his home circuit after being given a £100,000 sanction for joining the Saudi's LIV series

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I want the LIV tour to fail not only because the Saudi's are responsible for an attack on me and my innocent friends which left 4000 of them dead. And no, I'm not over it. AND yes, I'm still bitter. 

This is my main reasoning.  As someone who was in Manhattan on that dreadful morning and was directly impacted, the ppl and governments behind those attacks are certainly never going to get any support from me which is intended to increase their financial circumstance.  

And, are there atrocities going on around the world?  Certainly; history has shown us, and we continue to see, that left to their own devices, people can be very evil towards one another in pursuit of their objectives.  But as a populous, if we live in society, it demands making choices with our resources.  And since most of us don't have unlimited resources, we have to choose how to budget and allocate those resources.  So, are there be ppl who are being exploited working in other countries making items for us to consume, obviously.  But, we live in a consumerism society, and finding and buying items produced by ppl who haven't been exploited at any level of production costs time and more money and is a privileged position which I'd presume, in an absolute, is unachievable by most ppl, at least not without a significant transformation in our society.

• Informative 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf: