IGNORED

My Swing (Lugowskins)

Lugowskins
Note: This thread is 791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

To be clear, you're referring to "horizontal" hinge, correct?  To be fair, I don't even think about horizontal hinging.  If you're referring to "vertical" hinge, or cocking upward, I will disagree for the very reason you cited--he is too inside/flat with the takeaway.  Letting the club hinge up will get him to take the club up the elbow plane better and then come back down it.  You are correct however to note that right now he is still too underneath going back and then steepens coming down.  That's exactly why he should plane it up and plane it down.  In fact, it looks like you are doing the same kind of work in your swing--you do a pretty good job of trying to get on that elbow plane like Charley too.  It's a great move!

This is the video I sent him. I think we are saying the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Is that your man-cave or your cats' man-cave?  😀

Lol you get a view of her corner with her tower and litter box I'll concede that that area is her domain haha

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Yes we are.  I agree.  Good video.  I thought we were because I noticed you love my pix of good ol' Charley! 🙂 Dude has a sweet elbow plane swing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Yes that is definitely my issue not as dramatic as he is doing here obviously but down and over the top is my path but I also feel my striking is better with where I am at rather than being high on the take away and underneath the path so it's hard to fight against results.

• 2 weeks later...

It's mid 30s in Michigan which means it's finally warm enough to move to the garage and start hitting real balls! My cheap net from last year was destroyed so I clipped an old blanket up and subsequently destroyed that as well I have a new Rukket net coming tomorrow that should last me a long time. This was actually my 3rd day outside the first day went great yesterday was atrocious but today I felt great as well. Never before in my golfing life have I had an issue with shanks but I have had a ton in the past couple weeks the first and third day hitting real balls I dont think I had one but the second day I must have had 15 I could not stop hitting off the hossle it was very frustrating but I went out today and struck the ball well I think. I made a great discovery that the tile tape we have at work is absolutely perfect for checking strike location I put up a few pictures of some of the results I noticed I generally work from the middle and in it's very rare I have a toey shot. I am also generally higher on the club face I dont know if that is a product of hitting off the mat but the strikes feel great there and in order to hit lower on the club face I have to feel like Im scooping the ball and I dont like that. I don't know though I've looked a lot online and there seems to be many varying opinions so I think that since these feel like crisp strikes I wont worry about it too much just focus on being consistent. Only a few swings in the video, in my next one I will get front view as well. I think my swing plane is still too over the top but I'm happy with where I'm at. 

20200304_204705.jpg

20200304_210550.jpg

20200305_181241.jpg

41 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

higher on the club face

With woods and hybrids, that is great because it'll give you higher launch.  With irons and wedges, you want the strike point to be lower on the face.  Look at the back of the club and see where the "meat" of the club is--it's a bit lower down.  Too high on the face and you'll lose ball speed and spin, but gain some high launch.  You want to hit the ball where the "fat part" of the bat is; and, on an iron, it's a bit lower on the face.

@Lugowskins 

image.png

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

With woods and hybrids, that is great because it'll give you higher launch.  With irons and wedges, you want the strike point to be lower on the face.  Look at the back of the club and see where the "meat" of the club is--it's a bit lower down.  Too high on the face and you'll lose ball speed and spin, but gain some high launch.  You want to hit the ball where the "fat part" of the bat is; and, on an iron, it's a bit lower on the face.

@Lugowskins 

image.png

Yeah I've seen that everywhere and I have tried getting it down but cannot figure out why I cant seem to do it. I am playing with the ball essentially a ball ahead of center should I be experimenting with my set up or is it something in my swing? 

Just based on a quick look...

You take the club inside to soon, meaning your hands are going back but your body is stagnant at the takeaway.  Both should move together roughly until the club is parallel to the ground and then the hands should take the club up as you turn back.

Once you are in the backswing, you actually shallow the club out vs having a more upright position for a descending blow.  Your shoulders and arms tend to move first on the downswing and then your body tries to catch up leaving yourself open as you raise up through impact.  This would lead to toe shots and thin shots.

You should practice your takeaway to a parallel position but no further making sure your torso turns and loads onto your right side but maintain your head position as you do this.  It is not a sway back but a rotation.  

Then as you raise the club make sure your arms lift as they turn back.  This will help with a more descending blow but first and foremost as your hands begin to drop into the slot, your hips should have a lateral push to the left side.  In fact, if you wonder what the magic move might be...

Set the club at the top of the swing then without doing anything else with your hands or arms, the quickest way to get your club into the slot or into a lag position; is to shift your hips to the left with a slight rotation.  Your hands will automatically fall into place.

Just remember, you must release through the shot so your club head can square up through impact.

Hope that helps...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had some time on the course and things went really well ball striking was drastically improved and I hit 5/9 gir which is sadly probably the best I've ever done in some pretty awful course conditions. There are some changes I am trying to make. Being more upright, I noticed the lie angle was way off when I was hunched so far over led to a lot of bad strikes. Something @deenicpointed out my torso was stagnant in the takeaway so I'm trying to be more connected and slower/deliberate in my takeaway I feel that has helped. I need to really flatten out the club more at the top of my backswing the slo-mo iron swing you see here I think is where I should be. I have a couple swings with my hybrid here that I'm too steep with but I cant seem to make good contact when I swing them like I do my irons not sure what that is all about. My driver swing still feels like a disaster, results have been acceptable on the course but I have 0 confidence when I'm standing over the ball and no 2 swings seem to ever feel the same it's frustrating.

Loving the way my iron swing looks I think the hybrids are close and the only good thing about not being able to golf for a couple weeks is I can work extensively on my driver. Went back and looked at my initial couple videos and they are disgusting lol pretty proud of my progress but if I plan on actually posting some real low scores this year I need to figure out my driver swing and just focus on contact over swing speed. With the shut down I'll probably be posting about it a lot.

24 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Loving the way my iron swing looks I think the hybrids are close and the only good thing about not being able to golf for a couple weeks is I can work extensively on my driver. Went back and looked at my initial couple videos and they are disgusting lol pretty proud of my progress but if I plan on actually posting some real low scores this year I need to figure out my driver swing and just focus on contact over swing speed. With the shut down I'll probably be posting about it a lot.

Nice work man!  Looks tons better!

Much better positions on the backswing. I bet the downswing feels smoother too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

57 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Much better positions on the backswing. I bet the downswing feels smoother too.

Certainly feels different lol still feels a little forced I'm sure another week or so of working on it it will feel smooth and natural. 

• 2 weeks later...

Putting in all this work and not being able to step foot on a course feels incredibly cruel. Months of countless swings, video review, working on yardages is all for naught when the government tells you you cant go walk on a 150 acre course where the closest people are 200 yards away. I'm sure this isn't going to be over any time soon either (what is "over" anyway) so I'm sure we'll lose around half of the already short golf season here in Michigan. Hopefully Whitmer wises up and lets courses open like the rest of the damn country.  

Few things I've been working on, I noticed in my other videos my back foot wouldn't stay planted on the back swing it would tilt because I assume I'm shifting my weight too far and swaying in my swing. Can see in a few swings here that it looks better but I don't know how much I should really be worrying about it. I'm also working on a little stinger that I would like to be able to use on days when the woods aren't agreeing with me or it's overly windy. I haven't toyed around with it too much just watched a few videos and have probably taken 30ish swings trying it out I can think of a ton of holes where it would be applicable if I can become consistent with it. Lastly I've spent a ton of time working on my driver I realized I was starting unbalanced I had probably 75-80% of my weight on my back foot at address which caused me to fall back off shots and constantly top them. I am focusing on being more balanced in my set up and just like what was the issue with my irons I need to stay connected in my back swing and keep my right elbow tight to my body on the down swing as long as I do those 2 things I can swing pretty hard and find the club face fairly consistently. I really wish I could get out and play it's been beautiful for days it's torture to not be able to get on the course.

• 2 weeks later...

So restrictions got lifted and I was able to go play a couple 9s this weekend. I felt like I played terribly but I shot a 40 yesterday in what can only be described as gale force winds. My short game has been horrendous though and that's what killed me. That has always been the strong suit of my game so that's frustrating hoping it's just because I haven't put any dedicated practice into it and It'll come around quickly. I also had 2! hossle shanks that added at least 3 strokes to my round I don't know why these keep creeping up it's pretty demoralizing. Good takeaways though is that the driver numbers I saw on the simulator this winter seem to be correct I hit one well past a 285 yard par 4, I carried one pin high on a 320 yard par 4 (wind aided), I had one that I thought I hit awfully off the toe but came up about 10 yards short of a 310 yard par 4, and I hit probably the drive of my life on this steep uphill dogleg right par 4 no idea what the carry was but had to get it over a wooded area it wound up middle of the fairway right about where I put the yellow dot here. Then I chunked the chip short of the fringe and got up and down for par, of course. I'm going to put a ton of work in on my short game these next few weeks if I keep driving like I have been (and for the love of god stop hitting hossle shanks) I should be able to put up some pretty good scores. 

image.png.12c9db34da8839074ad4de33c5686414.png

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd give an update on how things are going so far this season. I have been very up and down with different areas of my game it has been frustrating. The website I'm using TheGrint has me at an 11.2 handicap I am unsure how the system even works but if that is accurate I'm pretty surprised since I don't feel like I've been playing very well and my goal for the year was to get to single digits.

I started out the year not putting well a lot of it was probably to do with conditions but I am back to stroking it well, by my standards. My statistics are not as good as I had thought it would be I've been having about 32-36 putts per 18 which is frustrating. I know I have the skill to get that down to about 30 but I've been leaving myself a lot of long ones. Plus I seem to have a mental lapse on a 3 footer once every 18 holes or so and I'm not making enough 8-12 footers. 

My wedges have been vastly improved over years past I'm hitting a lot more greens but still far from where I want to be. I need to spend more time from like 50 and in I'm getting them up just fine but right now I'm happy if I'm inside of 10' I've lost a lot of birdie opportunities not being able to put one moderately close.

My irons have been a disaster. Started out the year better than ever but have progressively got to the point I am having trouble even finding the club face the amount of shanks I have hit could make anyone want to put their clubs in the garage never to be seen again lol. I went out and recorded my swing after a few weeks of not doing it and found it had become too flat, the opposite of where I started 4 months ago.  I worked on it for a few hours yesterday and will do it for a few more hours tonight. I had it fixed yesterday hoping another good day today and I'll be back on track and I need to make sure to stay up on the recording to keep it where I want it the rest of the year.

The biggest and best surprise has been the driver. I started out the year longer than ever but very erratic. The past 2-3 weeks though I have dialed in my swing and club loft and it has been an incredible weapon. I am routinely driving 300+ yard greens and have been more accurate than ever. The fairway accuracy stats wont show that but I have gotten rid of the big right miss and the topped balls, my bad drives have been pushes that still fly straight just wind up 30ish yards offline, usually when it's when there is OB left and I think I am subconsciously protecting against that. Because I know that is my miss and I have been consistent with my distance I haven't gone OB with my driver in long enough that I cant even remember the last time I did. My longest drive I've recorded so far was 342 yards tracked by my buddies gps watch and double checked with the gps on the 18birdies app, it was pretty absurd. Playing in league for the first time and playing with a lot of guys I've never played with before it's been cool to see the reactions I get after the first drive they see.

Regarding league my home course Greenbrier has been in just terrible shape it is very hard to score on so I feel my scores there (the vast majority of my scores) are much higher than they would be if I was playing somewhere nicer. My league scores are the 9 hole scores with the trophy to the right and by shooting 42-44-40 I am the low scorer among all 32 players by 10 strokes. My friends and I joined the "fun league" not a lot of talent out there apparently Monday nights is more competitive I will probably shoot to get in there next year. 

image.png

18holes.PNG

Note: This thread is 791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!