IGNORED

My Swing (Lugowskins)

Lugowskins
Note: This thread is 791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Alx said:

Looks to me like your grip opens quite a bit at the top of the backswing?

You're probably not wrong but I've worked hard to keep the club face closed at takeaway I've had issues with fileting shots to the right with my 4 through 6 iron that might be the cause.  Had a great round today hit a couple perfect long irons so consistency is definitely the issue. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been using the golf metrics app the past few weeks I've only got 4 1/2 rounds in so smallish sample size but it's been pretty eye opening for where I suck. Bright side from 150+ and off the tee I'm a plus handicap which makes sense because that's what I practice most but my wedge game/ chipping is terrible and any putt outside of 6 feet I'm a scrub. I don't 3 putt often but I rarely make anything of substantial length. 

I have the new Garmin approach R10 on the way and once it gets here I'm going to hit about a billion touchy wedges get my distances back dialed in but unsure how to work on longer putts. I have a mat at home but it's only 8 feet long I practice on that pretty regularly and it's helped a ton but outside of that I don't have a great practice green close by I could get on regularly. 

Screenshot_20210815-173719.png

Screenshot_20210815-173615.png

Screenshot_20210815-173547.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Going into the offseason I've already made a couple pretty big changes.

I noticed in my set up I had far too much weight on my front foot and my back leg was almost locked out before even starting my swing. I got my weight more balanced and bent my knees a little more keeps my knee from locking out and has helped hit the swing plane I want a little easier.

I also got my hands closer to my body at set up. I was standing with arms almost fully extended and in front of me so I moved them to the proper hanging position it took a bit to get used to but it feels so much better now.

Toughest change I am trying to make is to get more (some) extension in my back swing. I can do it with the wedges and irons it doesn't feel too awkward (although incredibly forced) but with the woods I cant seem to get the feel. Getting more extension and shortening up my swing while maintaining speed are my 2 swing correction goals for the winter. 

*can speed up the video, 8x slo mo is probably over kill, if you go to the settings go 2x speed and its more pallatable

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Put this video together made me happy to see the hard work I've put in paying off. This is from a swing video from 2020 compared to video of my swing from last week. Still very much a work in progress but I feel that it is good enough to get to scratch which is my main goal for the year if I can become consistent enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great improvement! Always so satisfying to look back.

Not that you asked, but one thing that jumped out to me was your standing up (pushing your hips towards the ball) a bit during the downswing. Seems it's working out alright for you at a 4.3 (I'd do some regrettable things to play that well!), but just thought I'd throw it out there. Especially since you started from a place way too bent over at address which makes it more or less physically impossible to maintain your spine angle and keep your hips out of the way. So I figure that might be something you generally need to keep an eye on?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 3 weeks later...

I recorded these swings on 1/14 and have been battling youtube to upload it there was something corrupted in the file and eventually just had to go remake the whole thing. Should have just re shot it as I'm already not happy with the swings lol

Anyway what we have here in order is driver DTL - driver face on - driver full speed - 3 wood off the tee DTL - hybrid DTL - 5 iron DTL - 7 iron DTL - 7 iron face on - 7 iron full speed - 9 iron

Some things I have been working (at the time I recorded these) are:

My posture, getting more upright I feel allows me to deliver the clubs, especially woods, on the correct lie angle.

Club path I'm desperately trying to get more from the inside. It's getting a little better every day but doesn't feel engrained yet. 

Getting more compact. My swing still looks long but it feels like I'm only going at like 60% I've shortened up a lot it feels more repeatable and contact is much improved.

One thing I'm not sure about I break my wrists very late that is why at the top of my backswing the shaft is well past parallel. I worked for a little bit breaking my wrists earlier to avoid the whippiness at the top but I truly despised the feel and it threw everything off wondering if its something I should worry about.  

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

Getting more compact. My swing still looks long but it feels like I'm only going at like 60% I've shortened up a lot it feels more repeatable and contact is much improved.

One thing I'm not sure about I break my wrists very late that is why at the top of my backswing the shaft is well past parallel. I worked for a little bit breaking my wrists earlier to avoid the whippiness at the top but I truly despised the feel and it threw everything off wondering if its something I should worry about.

You not only "break" your wrists, you almost hit yourself with the shaft across the shoulder… because you nearly let go of your grip with your left hand at the top of your backswing.

01.jpg02.jpg

Again:

On 1/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, iacas said:

So what are you working on? I'd be concerned with:

• How quickly and how much the right knee extends.
  • The lack of width at the top of the backswing.

I taught a guy a lot like this today:

03.jpg

He gained a few MPH and hit the ball much more solidly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You not only "break" your wrists, you almost hit yourself with the shaft across the shoulder… because you nearly let go of your grip with your left hand at the top of your backswing.

01.jpg02.jpg

Again:

I taught a guy a lot like this today:

03.jpg

He gained a few MPH and hit the ball much more solidly.

After you sent that the first time I spent 2 days working on nothing but getting width and not losing the club like that but I got nowhere ended up getting frustrated and moved on. Couldn't find anything close to a feel, contact and club path were all over the place I felt like I was going backwards.

Any drill to do or "feel" to go for? See a lot of like yanking the chain down and rotating hard I've just always been handsy so it was a mess when I tried to do it. 

Thinking about it my back swing is so fast that has to be at least part of why it's so hard because there's so much tension in my transition. I'll try drastically slowing it down tomorrow see if that helps. Been wanting to work on tempo anyway so maybe it'll be a two birds scenario. 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

After you sent that the first time I spent 2 days working on nothing but getting width and not losing the club like that but I got nowhere ended up getting frustrated and moved on. Couldn't find anything close to a feel, contact and club path were all over the place I felt like I was going backwards.

Any drill to do or "feel" to go for?

Yep.

Do it really freaking slowly at first.

Two whole days? Likely at almost full speed? C'mon man.

15 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

See a lot of like yanking the chain down and rotating hard I've just always been handsy so it was a mess when I tried to do it.

Oh god no.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep.

Do it really freaking slowly at first.

Two whole days? Likely at almost full speed? C'mon man.

Oh god no.

2 days for me when I'm working on something is 5-6 hours of practice so yeah that should be enough time to see something close to progress. 

I'm barely 2 years in to actually working on what was a completely broken swing with no coaching if you expect people like me to just know how to fix stuff you're sorely mistaken lol it's all trial and error 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

2 days for me when I'm working on something is 5-6 hours of practice so yeah that should be enough time to see something close to progress.

No.

Not at anything close to full speed, man.

5 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

I'm barely 2 years in to actually working on what was a completely broken swing with no coaching if you expect people like me to just know how to fix stuff you're sorely mistaken lol it's all trial and error 

No, it's not.

It's doing things properly. Being dedicated, going at the right speed(s), with exaggerations and rehearsals.

With five "S" words. You're not creating "S"uccess because you're not doing it "S"low and "S"hort.

My student did that swing ten or fifteen minutes into the lesson.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

03.jpg

1 hour ago, Lugowskins said:

Record your practice. Learning a new feel takes time and patience. I’ve had roughly the same looking swing for a couple years now. It’s been this year when I’ve slowed down more, been even more specific with the movement and checks, that I’ve seen results.

A fun drill you could try for the grip and transition is to pre-hinge. Basically take normal stance and setup with the club, then while keeping posture and trying to keep your hands in about the same space, hinge the club up in front of you. Then swing the arms and body to the top of the swing and into hitting the ball. Let me know if you don’t understand that. I can do a video tomorrow, if needed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

7 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

You’ve made a ton of progress and have loads of power in your swing. And I know how hard it is to work on stuff slow as I’m a rusher. But it pays dividends. Film a slow practice working on your priorities only. Don’t even take full swings. Remember this thread?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

6 hours ago, phillyk said:

Record your practice. Learning a new feel takes time and patience. I’ve had roughly the same looking swing for a couple years now. It’s been this year when I’ve slowed down more, been even more specific with the movement and checks, that I’ve seen results.

A fun drill you could try for the grip and transition is to pre-hinge. Basically take normal stance and setup with the club, then while keeping posture and trying to keep your hands in about the same space, hinge the club up in front of you. Then swing the arms and body to the top of the swing and into hitting the ball. Let me know if you don’t understand that. I can do a video tomorrow, if needed. 

I've seen that drill I'll do it today I can see how it would be helpful. Its pretty rare for me not to record my swings when I practice I'm usually tinkering with something. Not sure if you meant that by record or actually keep like a log of what I'm working on which I don't really do. 

58 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You’ve made a ton of progress and have loads of power in your swing. And I know how hard it is to work on stuff slow as I’m a rusher. But it pays dividends. Film a slow practice working on your priorities only. Don’t even take full swings. Remember this thread?

I have not been in that thread before I will dive into it today

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

If you can't do it slow, why try to do it fast?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

I used to over hinge my wrists at the top a lot and it took me a long time to reduce the hinge, I dunno, like 6 months and I did it as mentioned above, slow swings and video. Literally try and hit a ball 10 yards with a 9 iron. And I still over hinge but because of the practice before, can fix it in a couple or even one swing. Also my MO was to hit 40 balls every other day rather than 120 balls in one or two days. I think your body needs time to take in a new movement, sleep on it.

One motivation I used to see results "instantly" was at the slow swing speed, I saw less hinge and that was the thing that encouraged me to keep going - like in the photo @iacasposted. So it'll be like 10 swings 7 over hinged, 3 less hinge. Then the next session 10 swings, 6 over hinged 4 less hinge.

The feel I used to stop hinging so much, and this is my feel, it might or might not work for you is the total opposite of retaining lag or angles, I felt like I was throwing out the angles earlier, casting almost (although not over the top). Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Spent a few hours today in my 10 degree garage I think I made some progress. Did a lot of slow motion swings just trying to get comfortable and feel what I should be doing. As I slowly ramped it up it was harder to keep it where I wanted but its closer so going to keep working it until the season starts. 

Did this video in 8X slomo instead of the usual 4X I did from the front and dtl then something I haven't put up before is a few full speed swings. Did this with the driver and 7 iron.

Also yes I know I waggle a lot lol

Note: This thread is 791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!