IGNORED

Walkers and Riders… Just Don’t Mix Well!

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well its easy to say a walker is slow when you're in a cart. I walk 99% of the golf i play and ive never had much of a problem keeping up with players in carts or had much tension. But if the course is open, the walker should probably let the riders go if they're moving at a good clip. Depends on the group. 

32 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

The threesome was so slow that the foursome behind us catch us on the 10th green and mock us that we should play faster.

The threesome didn´t let us pass thru even tho they were always more than 1 hole behind the next group.

Did you mention to them they were dickheads?  that usually helps

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, lastings said:

You never did answer as to whether or not you were holding up the group behind you.   Because, if you weren't, maybe stop and smell the roses a bit.   It's a treat to spend 5 hours on Pinehurst #2, not a chore.  

Sorry about that.  The closest group was 4 almost 5 holes back.  

A walker can be almost as fast as a power cart.  With a push cart I once raced my buddy in a golf cart.  It was neck and neck for the first 100 yards and then he pulled away from me.  I think he had an advantage because he was on a paved cart path.

15 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Well its easy to say a walker is slow when you're in a cart. I walk 99% of the golf i play and ive never had much of a problem keeping up with players in carts or had much tension. But if the course is open, the walker should probably let the riders go if they're moving at a good clip. Depends on the group. 

I agree with you 100%.  

8 hours ago, Sandy Divot said:

I would almost think that three guy playing cartpath only golf would hold up a decent walker. You guys should be considered for sainthood for not ditching Fred when you got a few holes behind. Were you guys holding up groups? Don't they have marshals to keep play moving on #2 ?

LOL!  Not when there isn’t many people playing. Saw the Marshall once, but the walking 4 some in front of us played fast.  I actually know them.  They play really fast, hit and run golf practically.

55 minutes ago, klineka said:

Do you have any facts or data to prove this? 

Then why did you title this topic in a way that suggests there is only one single answer?

One experience on one single day doesn't make something fact.

Since I’ve been a member I’ve averaged just over 200 rounds a year. I can guarantee that I’ve had more than one experience and could site other examples.  I’m sure others could as well. Overall pace of play by walkers, riders or both is all based upon skill level of the players in a group.  As to data, no and I’m sure no one on this board tracks Walkers and Riders of any combination.  So no there is no single answer and did not suggest at all that it was fact.  It was that days experience only.  
I’ve walked #2 and #4 in a walking foursomes and have played just at 3 hours.  I’ve also taken a cart on those same courses again with four riders and we have played in less than three hours.  But don’t tell my wife that as she would expect me home sooner!😉

39 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Sorry about that.  The closest group was 4 almost 5 holes back.  

I guess I don't see the problem, then.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

7 minutes ago, lastings said:

I guess I don't see the problem, then.   

It’s never a problem if you like playing 5 plus hour rounds. But if you do I’m sure there’s a “Fred” out there somewhere!

5 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

It’s never a problem if you like playing 5 plus hour rounds. But if you do I’m sure there’s a “Fred” out there somewhere!

I'm just saying...  You're playing Pinehust #2.  might as well enjoy it while you can. no reason to be in a hurry to go home and clean the garage or whatever.   
but, if you really gotta go faster, there's no one in front of you, and Fred isn't holding anyone up.   So, just let him know, "Hey we gotta cruise, but I don't want to spoil your round.  mind if we play ahead?"

• Like 1

check out my swing here

14 minutes ago, lastings said:

I'm just saying...  You're playing Pinehust #2.  might as well enjoy it while you can. no reason to be in a hurry to go home and clean the garage or whatever.   
but, if you really gotta go faster, there's no one in front of you, and Fred isn't holding anyone up.   So, just let him know, "Hey we gotta cruise, but I don't want to spoil your round.  mind if we play ahead?"

this ^.  slow play is only a problem if you are slowing up others.  it's a courtesy issue.

If it was clear ahead, there's no reason to stick with Fred.  I'm sure he's used to it.  there is neither a social, or moral obligation to stick with him, nor is there any compelling business reason for the course, or anything else.

If it's wide open in front and back of the group, then this has morphed into a thread "why don't people play like I think they should"......

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

When it's cart path only I always walk. I'm waiting for the guys using carts. 90 deg. rule, I can keep exact pace. But I don't sit there and wait for everyone to make their shot. I'm always moving toward my ball. No restrictions, cart is faster, especially if it's one person per cart. 

16 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

Fast, slow, with a “Fred type” or not golf should be played in a reasonable time.  Cart or no cart.

The End!

It's not really "The End!", because reasonable is pretty subjective when there is no one ahead of you and no one behind you.   

• Like 1

check out my swing here

I am thinking "Fred" caused an isolated incident, who's pace didn't match up with his stated hdcp.

We walk with riders all the time, and most of the time our walking pace is faster than the riders' pace of play. 

No, walkers, and riders can mix together quite well, most of the time from my expirience. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 minutes ago, Patch said:

I am thinking "Fred" caused an isolated incident, who's pace didn't match up with his stated hdcp.

We walk with riders all the time, and most of the time our walking pace is faster than the riders' pace of play. 

No, walkers, and riders can mix together quite well, most of the time from my expirience. 

Agree 100%. Most of the time.

16 minutes ago, lastings said:

It's not really "The End!", because reasonable is pretty subjective when there is no one ahead of you and no one behind you.   

Not trying to convince you.  But, I will say at Pinehurst the expectation is that all rounds are expected to be played at 4hrs and 15 min ( the reasonable time). Walking or riding.  If you are holding up play the Marshall will give a warning. If it happens again, they hold your group in place and let the group behind you play thru.  That being said, I’ve never seen it happen. When guests are paying big bucks there is some leniency but only to a point.  When Resort play is at its peak a Member has a tough time getting a tee time.  

I'm a hit and run walker, and have had the same experience but with the roles reversed. This is more of a "slow players and fast players...just don't mix".

The problem is when you are the fast walker playing with slow riders on an open course, it is a lot harder to just leave the slow riders behind, making for a miserable 18 holes instead of a miserable 14 holes. 

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

As others have said this has nothing to do with walkers and riders not mixing well. This exact scenario (along with the beer) has happened to me several times over the years and I can say that what we have here with Fred and the O.P. was simply a failure to communicate.

Here's what did with my "Fred.". Early on, as soon as it became apparent that the group ahead was leaving us in their dust I spoke directly to Fred and said, "Fred, my boy, we're really not having a good time playing with you because you're playing way too slow for us. If you don't mind we're going to just play to a pace that's comfortable for us. You paid your money so you certainly have a right to play at a pace that's comfortable for you, so we're just going to move on ahead. OK?" 

Then the other guy I was with, who was fuming, and I picked up and we moved directly onto the next tee and teed off immediately which created instant space between us and Fred and that was that. We left Fred in our wake and never saw him again.  Problem solved.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

40 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

As others have said this has nothing to do with walkers and riders not mixing well. This exact scenario (along with the beer) has happened to me several times over the years and I can say that what we have here with Fred and the O.P. was simply a failure to communicate.

Here's what did with my "Fred.". Early on, as soon as it became apparent that the group ahead was leaving us in their dust I spoke directly to Fred and said, "Fred, my boy, we're really not having a good time playing with you because you're playing way too slow for us. If you don't mind we're going to just play to a pace that's comfortable for us. You paid your money so you certainly have a right to play at a pace that's comfortable for you, so we're just going to move on ahead. OK?" 

Then the other guy I was with, who was fuming, and I picked up and we moved directly onto the next tee and teed off immediately which created instant space between us and Fred and that was that. We left Fred in our wake and never saw him again.  Problem solved.

At this point, you were much happier.   Additionally, your Fred was probably very happy as well.   now you could go your pace without feeling bogged down.   Fred could go his without feeling rushed or stressed.   win-win all around.   As long as there is good communication, everyone wins. 

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1541 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!