trombettista_vecchio

Has Your Set Composition Changed in Ten Years? Any Ten-Year-Old Clubs in Your Bag?

43 posts / 2073 viewsLast Reply

I don't mean the brand and model of clubs so much as the types of club as they may have changed in your bag since a decade ago.

Number of woods / metals.

Number of hybrids if any.

Number of numbered irons.

Number of wedges.

Number of other utility clubs (driving irons, chippers or whatever.)

Mine set composition is the same.

Is yours?

2020 and 2010.png

Edited by trombettista_vecchio

Nope.  I dropped my 3 and 4 irons for hybrids something like 15 years ago.  I haven’t changed anything since then.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Over the past dozen years or so, I've alternated between 0, 1, or 2 hybrids;  I've also at various points gone from wedges for my PW/AW versus iron from the set.  So yeah, it's changed. :-)  I've also changed number of fairway woods;  sometimes a 4-wood (as it is now), sometimes 3 and 5, sometimes 5 but not 3. 

I have five clubs in my bag that were in my bag a decade ago.

My putter is literally older than current  presidential candidate Mayor Pete.

I bought it in 1978 for the then princely sum of $75.

Still gaming it forty-two years later.

Are you going with any old stuff?

2020 and 2010.png

For the coming season I removed the 2 & 3 irons and 4 rescue; added a 4 hybrid, 56° and 60° wedges. I may have left myself with a gap somewhere around 210-220 yds but I'm getting older, not hitting driver as far as I used to so maybe the 3 wood will work in that range We'll see. 

Edited by xrayvizhen

Not mine in 10 years. Maybe not even for the the past 15-20 years. 

The only change I have ever made in my bag make up, was dropping my 2, 3, and 4 irons for a 7 wood, and an extra couple of wedges. That was so long ago, I really can't remrmber when I did it. 

Every club in my bag is well over 10 years old. 

Even my current putter I have had for over 10 years. However, it just became my permanet gamer during the past couple of years. It replaced a the damaged putter I used for over 20 years.

My 3W, 5W, and 7W are old Cobra S3s over ten years old, I'll never part with them. I tried a Callaway Classic 3W, it is still in the garage.

My Cleveland irons came with a gap wedge that was 50*, (I probably shouldn't have bought it), I have a Cleveland 52* that I like a lot, so I pulled the new GW 50* and added my old 7W for this year, I"ll see how that works, i.e., the 7W.

A little bit.  I have dropped the 3 and 4 irons and replaced them with a 4 hybrid.  Also, I have dropped the 3 and 5 woods from my bag, but that is more because they aren't great clubs to play with.  I am ideally looking to buy a new 3 and 5 wood, or possibly a 4 wood to replace them

On 2/2/2020 at 11:20 AM, starrman77 said:

I still game Ping i3os irons

I'm gaming the same!  Nice to see I'm not the only one.

I think my Odyssey putter might be pushing that age

My driver turned 14 this year.  My irons are 10 or 11.  The wedge ( a 54 ) is a couple years younger and the putter about the same.  The fairways, and hybrid, date to around 2012 or so.  I'm pretty much done buying golf clubs.