IGNORED

USGA/R&A Distance Insights Project (Updated Feb. 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's not my argument, but it's a valid argument.

And a range that "had" enough distance in 1980 but which now has players flying the fence at the end and into home is dealing with a "safety" issue.

Banana balls that go farther also go farther offline. The "potential landing area" for a ball that goes 200 yards is much smaller than the potential landing area for a ball that goes 275.

One of the courses that I grew up playing would occasionally have someone on the 16th green get hit or nearly hit by a ball from the second tee. Ditto players on the first green off the 17th tee.

Now it's far, far more common.

Valid? Sure. Level of severity high enough to alter the game? Debatable. 

There are few cases of a golf ball killing someone, however in those cases none of proposed regulations would have prevented death. Unlike baseball and softball where hi cor bats had the ball returning back to the pitcher faster than human reaction time which resulted in catastrophic injury and sometimes death.

II think you will you agree that the USGA/R&A did not consider safety as a driver

Fun debate but I think we have beaten this horse beyond mortality  😂

• Administrator
1 minute ago, BaggerVM said:

II think you will you agree that the USGA/R&A did not consider safety as a driver

image.png

I've never said it was hugely important. But it's not something to just disregard out of hand.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/21/2021 at 9:18 AM, iacas said:

Tiger is 5'10" and they list him as 6' or even taller.

I'm 6'1 and he looked to be as tall as me when I saw him at the Tour Championship (07 or 08) and at the Masters.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/rory-mcilroy-usga-ra-distance-insights-report-huge-waste-money/

I walked about 6ft away from down the entire left side of #10 at Augusta while he was walking to # 11 to begin a suspended round. I'm only 5'9'' and he was, at least, several inches taller than me. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I'm 6'1 and he looked to be as tall as me when I saw him at the Tour Championship (07 or 08) and at the Masters.

He’s 5’10”. Maybe 11”. I’ve stood with him several times.

Anyway, maybe he sometimes wears lifts. 🙂 He does have good posture.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/formatted-text/

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/02/03/rory-mcilroy-usga-ra-distance-insights-report-huge-waste-money/

I think a touring pro grows 1/4 inch for each major they win.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

He’s 5’10”. Maybe 11”. I’ve stood with him several times.

Anyway, maybe he sometimes wears lifts. 🙂 He does have good posture.

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/formatted-text/

Haha I don’t doubt you. I didn’t stand next to him. I got somewhat close to him on a couple of holes at both courses. Closest I got was right in front of what used to be the 18th tee box at East Lake, caddy view (I think it’s the 9th now; it’s that long par 3). I was most impressed with Tiger, Vijay, and Sergio when I watched. That was the first time I’d ever seen a pro event and grasped just how different their game is haha. 

• Administrator

Ernie, now there’s a tall one. Even Nick Faldo.

But this is about the USGA/R&A distance report and their proposal.

At the 34:00 mark or so of this podcast with Brandel Chamblee, he says that Thomas Pagel of the USGA said that the proposed reduced distance balls (i.e. the “bifurcation” that people are assuming is for the PGA Tour) is for 4000 yard courses that want to play longer.

logo.svg

A monthly podcast in which the outspoken Brandel Chamblee and award-winning journalist Jaime Diaz discuss, debate and break down some of the more interesting topics in golf.

Episode 20, 34:00 or so in.

Also, what incentive does the PGA Tour have to put a reduced distance ball in play?

Let’s see if this will work (34:00 mark):

I am not sure if they have said anything, but I would be very interested to hear what the PGA of America has to say about all this. They have always been in better contact with golf at the club level, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a vastly different opinion than the USGA.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Sandy Divot said:

I am not sure if they have said anything, but I would be very interested to hear what the PGA of America has to say about all this. They have always been in better contact with golf at the club level, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a vastly different opinion than the USGA.

Their members (of which I am one, of course) have overwhelmingly voted to not be in favor of any roll-back. Many fear they'd lose golfers, as some non-zero percentage of golfers would just up and quit if they lost 20 yards or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Their members (of which I am one, of course) have overwhelmingly voted to not be in favor of any roll-back. Many fear they'd lose golfers, as some non-zero percentage of golfers would just up and quit if they lost 20 yards or something.

I think it would be terrible for those who are over the age of 50. Especially those who play in leagues. 

Yea, I don't think they should be penalizing 99.97% of golfers in the world. 

As for bifurcation of the rules. How much do people actually buy the golf clubs because a tour player hits them? I understand it mattered more when Tiger was in his prime. Nike Golf was created just because of him. Still, if you have two sets of equipment being sold, one is tour qualified and the other isn't. If both are allowed in the rules, like if there was a local rule allowing it or not. Then, I am not sure if it is that big of a deal. Though I would prefer not to have the different rules. If you play in amateur tournaments, then you would know that you need the tour qualified equipment. I am thinking more in terms of your club championships or golf leagues. Just throwing out some thoughts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

One of my problems with bifurcation is that golf isn't like other sports, like baseball. In golf, the equivalent of someone being called up directly from a college team to play in the World Series happens every year.

There are thousands of golfers in this weird "not on the PGA Tour, but better than the typical club champion" space, who would effectively have to learn TWO sets of equipment (or at least two balls), and who, thus, would never be quite as good as they could be at either one of them solo until they leave that space (either by making it to a Tour where it's mandated, or falling out of competitive space and just playing the "longer" ball).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, what incentive does the PGA Tour have to put a reduced distance ball in play?

None. I just can’t believe this has become such an issue. You know what? I want to see a guy averaging 350yds off the tee trying to carry a dogleg or water. Make the risk high, but let ‘em at it. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

None. I just can’t believe this has become such an issue. You know what? I want to see a guy averaging 350yds off the tee trying to carry a dogleg or water. Make the risk high, but let ‘em at it. 

Yeah, bring in the gators! They have to walk through alligators to get to their ball! Cut my dogleg will ya!

I don’t see an issue. I know that NFL lineman and incredibly fast and big. I know NBA players are tall and fast. And I know PGA Tour players can hit it wicked far. Let them.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I just can’t believe this has become such an issue.

OT:

Spoiler

I read that and my mind immediately ran to covid-related reactions.  //rant over. Sorry.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I don’t see an issue. I know that NFL lineman are incredibly fast and big. I know NBA players are tall and fast. And I know PGA Tour players can hit it wicked far. Let them.

You said it the best! 

And don't forget about all those frail little soccer players who are masters of the flop, constantly faking injury.   To get a red or yellow card on the opposition.  Hey, how's about giving yellow cards to golfers who might be improving their lie???

15 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

OT:

Hide contents

I read that and my mind immediately ran to covid-related reactions.  //rant over. Sorry.

I just can't believe this has become such an issue... in Missouri.  Yes I can.  Former home state.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Yeah, bring in the gators! They have to walk through alligators to get to their ball! Cut my dogleg will ya!

I don’t see an issue. I know that NFL lineman and incredibly fast and big. I know NBA players are tall and fast. And I know PGA Tour players can hit it wicked far. Let them.

Great idea! Yeah this ‘obsolete’ talk is garbage. Golf is hard. It always wins. Bryson still misses cuts and Kyle Berkshire can’t hold his own against the bottom ranked PGA TOUR player.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!