IGNORED

USGA/R&A Distance Insights Project (Updated Feb. 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Also, this is from Tutelman:

ballweightdrivingdistance.gif

If that chart is remotely accurate, that's almost a non-starter for me. It's nowhere near "fair" across the board.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

(From 2011), forget bifurcation, John Solheim wants/wanted TRIfurcation!

1588636298811.jpeg

John Solheim, chairman & CEO of Ping, believes golf's distance debate is about to heat up again, and he thinks he has an idea that might help cooler heads prevail.With the PGA Tour driving distance...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

(From 2011), forget bifurcation, John Solheim wants/wanted TRIfurcation!

1588636298811.jpeg

John Solheim, chairman & CEO of Ping, believes golf's distance debate is about to heat up again, and he thinks he has an idea that might help cooler heads prevail.With the PGA Tour driving distance...

IMHO 3 different balls isn't cost effective.    I'm sure the ball manufacturers wouldn't approve.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Regarding course lengths, there is some data presented in References 24 to 26 here:

I didn't see anything that directly answered your questions about how many courses have seen the need to  add length, although there are a few "examples", I think in R024. 

I haven't said much recently about this, because I really don't see that the new release says anything different from the release a year ago.  There are some more details about the equipment regulations they may study in more depth, and more detail in the ways they might consider to effect an "optional local rule" (bifurcation).  I don't have a problem if they find ways to minimize future distance gains from equipment advances.  Really, bifurcation wouldn't effect me significantly, but I think there are far too many hurdles for it to become reality.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Regarding course lengths, there is some data presented in References 24 to 26 here:

Yeah, that only talks about the length of courses as they're built. It doesn't really speak, as you say, to changes made to lengthen existing courses.

And the 90th percentile of the second tees are at 6700 yards (an increase from 6450 yards in 1950) with the median at 6300:

image.png

And the longest tees haven't gotten much longer — going from 7000 yards or so for the 90th percentile in 1960 to 7250 or so in 2010?

image.png

One thing people mention as a positive for a rollback is that pace of play would get faster. I'm not sure that's true, because it's very dependent on the players. But throwing that out there as a pro-rollback argument.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
46 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

One thing people mention as a positive for a rollback is that pace of play would get faster. I'm not sure that's true, because it's very dependent on the players. But throwing that out there as a pro-rollback argument.

Okay, I don't even think that needs a response. Surely people can understand that rolling back the ball, especially if it's just for the game's best, won't affect pace of play.

But yeah. Maybe I'll add a brief section on that.

If we're talking only bifurcation, then yes, I agree. Pace of play isn't going to change on the tour with a rollback. They're already f***ing slow.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Here is what Peter Kostis has to say about the distance issue.

USGA-Flag.jpg?w=640

After years of looking at golf swings through the trusty Konica Minolta BizHub Swing Vision camera, I have learned to see things differently than most people. So, with the distance debate raging on…

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I added a bit about players mis-hitting their drivers to my bigger post above.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Oy, Phil. I know most of this is a "bit" but c'mon.

The line of "amateurs running the game" is such bullshit, anyway. They're actually professional… rules makers. Engineers. Etc. Mike Whan isn't doing it for free, and neither are most of the other people.

They're not professional golfers, but Phil isn't a professional rules maker.

I see Phils point about a shorter swing. A tall golfer could swing a longer driver.  I’m short so it would be a telephone pole to me. 
My view on this is that they are ignoring competition. Pros play against each other. Cam Smith pushes his tee shot OB and loses in a playoff to Finau.  Billy Horschell won this year, Phil and Steward Cink won (older guys) and one of my favorites, Kevin Na is still competitive.  You have to beat 140 other guys who have a caddie, coach, physiologist, head shrinker, and one in a million talent with a percentage of them playing at their peak.  The amateur, weekend warriors are trying to win a skin looping their own clubs, on courses that aren’t pristine, with equipment that hasn’t been tweaked on a Trackman.  The game is already bifurcated! I wish I had a green book yesterday so my approach shots were on the correct tier of the green, or a caddie to remind me to club up. But its fair because my playing partners are playing under the same conditions. I think this is a non problem thats why their solutions are being embraced by no one. The guys looking back to the good old days should remember those days meant most people could not afford to play and some were barred from it.

• Informative 1

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

Locking this topic and moving the discussion here:

• iacas locked this topic
Note: This thread is 793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!