Groundhog34

Bending Wedge from 49° to 56°

20 posts / 913 viewsLast Reply

I had a gap wedge that I hit well a Cleveland Sure out. I had it bent from 49 to 56 degree. Any comments on the bending? What sort of performance should I expect? Will it play different from a 56 Sure out sand wedge?

12 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

I had a gap wedge that I hit well a Cleveland Sure out. I had it bent from 49 to 56 degree. Any comments on the bending? What sort of performance should I expect? Will it play different from a 56 Sure out sand wedge?

I’m not sure if this is as dramatic with the Sure Out wedge but the bounce is the biggest difference when you bend a wedge compared to buying it made at that degree I believe. @Adam C can answer your question better.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very, very confused by what you are saying and asking?? Did you actually bend a Cleveland wedge from 49 degrees to 56? That is basically impossible because of the metal. I feel great if I can get anything more than 1 degree with any of the modern Cleveland wedges. They either don't move, or they snap. Who did the work?

For a multitude of reasons I would never bend any club more than 4 degrees max, and that would require a soft wedge and a signed release acknowledging the club may break.

This does not even get into the other issues of jacking up the bounce and dropping the flange to the point where the club would be unusable except maybe from the sand.

PGA superstore did the bending they SAID it was bent to 56 it did not break but I am not sure it was really bent to 56 although it looks like it was. I am going to take it to my club and have it checked. Let's assume it was bent to 56 what are the results?

16 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

Cleveland Sure out

Curious if you are referring to the Callaway Wedge "Sure Out"
Cleveland Golf does not appear to have a Sure Out Model?
https://www.clevelandgolf.com/us/wedges-

However, Callaway and Hogan have these models.
Sure Out.jpg

Also, tweaking clubs is usually a minor correction to Loft & Lie.
Can 7* loft change be achieved? Not IMO
Most likely a club will be damaged trying to bend the hosel to this extreme. 
If it doesn't break when twisting it to this degree, it most likely will in the near future.

2 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

PGA superstore did the bending they SAID it was bent to 56 it did not break but I am not sure it was really bent to 56 although it looks like it was. I am going to take it to my club and have it checked. Let's assume it was bent to 56 what are the results?

Would be amazed if they got it anywhere near 56. Would probably take it somewhere else to be validated, not back to PGA SS.

At the end of the day, if they did get it near that, and you can hit it still, that is all that matters.

I would never agree to do it for the reasons discussed above but if it worked out, then great. 

2 hours ago, Adam C said:

Would be amazed if they got it anywhere near 56. Would probably take it somewhere else to be validated, not back to PGA SS.

At the end of the day, if they did get it near that, and you can hit it still, that is all that matters.

I would never agree to do it for the reasons discussed above but if it worked out, then great. 

I thought the max for cast heads was 2 degrees. Forged can go a little more, but you change a lot of the heads characteristics when you do this.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I thought the max for cast heads was 2 degrees. Forged can go a little more, but you change a lot of the heads characteristics when you do this.

You can get more than 2 degrees, but it is really dependent on the metal used, not so much on the manufacturing process. I can get more than 2 degrees on a Vokey but struggle getting 1 degree on a Cleveland RTX. Both a cast clubs.

I took the club to my club the pro measured it at 56 degree I know it was 49 when I acquired it. I then went to a friend who is a VERY club builder. He measured it at 56 degree with 64 degree of "lye" I think he said. He said the lie was perfect. He then measured a Ben Hogan sure out like the one pictured above. It measured at 55 and 64. Bottom line 3 fitters or pros said it was successfully bent to 56 from 49. So my question remains how will it play. When the rain quits and it drys up a bit I'll find out. In the meantime what are the opinions of board members? 

I'll guess you will find out if & when the club head breaks, if tweaking the head did not distort the composition structure.
In all likeliness, and best of luck it doesn't break.
If it does, lesson learned. :mellow:

There was a youtube video where they bent a 60-70 so I guess that’s not impossible. 

I took the club out to the range. Bending the club messed up the bounce. I hit about 10 shot 6 of which were hit off the leading edge. The other 4 were high and distance wise what I would hit a 56. I took the club back to the store I purchased it from and traded it for a Callaway 56 Sure Out. Experiment ended unsuccessfully. 

4 hours ago, Groundhog34 said:

They bent it

Depends.

If you went back to the same person who sold and bent it, and remembered the transaction that’s fine.

If you took it back and expect every one of the 20-25 employees at the store to know the history, that’s not too cool; especially since the club is now a piece of junk.

John

Being left handed the inventory in all stores is limited. I wanted a sand wedge but none were available. They offered to order one for me or sell me a gap wedge and bend it. As it is a 1.5 hour drive to Atlanta I chose to have the gap wedge bent. The bender was next to the guy who did the refund he said nothing I said nothing, end of story

Fair enough.  Especially since they offered to bend the club and increase the bounce by 7*.  Not sure what they were thinking.

I would have returned it also.

John