IGNORED

Phone Camera Insanity at Tournaments

leftybutnotPM
Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... or was it criminal how you looked?  Did you pucker up your lips?  Was your nose big and long?

I hadn't shaved for a few days, and I had a crummy looking hat pulled down. If I saw myself walking towards me, I would have crossed the street.

Taking a picture is not a memory.  Experiencing the moment as it occurs will always be more vivid in your mind than watching a video or looking at the picture.  Watching that moment and having your mind and senses feel and hear what you are looking at will be more memorable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, billchao said:

Since you brought up a Boomer rant... I can’t stand it when I’m posing for a group picture or something and a whole bunch of people pull out their phones, “Take one with mine!” Damn Boomers 😜

But yes, having filmed many events in my life, I realized I can’t actually enjoy what I’m watching if I’m focused on framing my shot correctly. Plus, all the people in the OP are a bunch of amateurs. Everyone knows the right way to film a celebrity or athlete doing something right in front of you is to do it in selfie mode with them in the background of your shot.

My Bro was a videographer for a state university here in Ohio. We have a couple of vids he shot of one of my Mom's birthday parties, and a Cousin's wedding. In both vids, there are times when he hands off to an "amateur", while he'd go to get a plate and a drink. My Bro took his job very seriously! 

The difference was immediately apparent. Suddenly the horizons weren't level, the "pans" were way too fast, and there were absolutely no zoom ins or zoom outs! One of my favorite shots of my Cousin's wedding was of a dance floor full of people. My Bro pans slowly to the left, to shoot a small love seat all the way across the hall. He then does a slow zoom in, to reveal my Grandniece, sound asleep on that love seat! 

It's a great shot, but my Grandniece always hated it because it showed her missing the party! And she really hated to miss a party! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, turtleback said:

People seem increasingly focussed on photographing their life rather than just living and experiencing their lives first-hand.

I get that feeling, too, these days. It’s as if they’re trying to build a collection of experiences and the physical representation of those experiences is in the pictures they take. Well that and they’re sharing them on social media so other people can ooh and ah at the things they’re doing, I guess?

Taking pictures of life experiences for me is mostly relegated to pictures of my kids and social gatherings. Those are the pictures I can look at and bring up memories to relive, but can’t see if I hadn’t taken the picture myself. If I went to see the Mona Lisa or something, I bet I’d be able to recall that experience any time I saw a picture of it, not just if I took the picture myself.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

22 hours ago, turtleback said:

People seem increasingly focussed on photographing their life rather than just living and experiencing their lives first-hand.

Unfortunately, people today care more about appearance of what they are doing rather than actually experiencing the moment.  

I blame this on social media like facebook, instagram, etc.  People want to show off what great life they have while they have no clue what goes on right in front of them.  It's all about posting on the social media rather than the actual experience.

• Like 2

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

17 hours ago, Yukari said:

I blame this on social media like facebook, instagram, etc.  People want to show off what great life they have while they have no clue what goes on right in front of them.  It's all about posting on the social media rather than the actual experience.

I don’t know if I’d blame social media. Back before I decided to stop trying to capture every moment and start experiencing things more, I didn’t really share on social media. I think it’s more due to the fact that most people now have a high quality digital camera readily available at all times.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My first trip to Augusta, I took some pictures. But after looking at them...they don't really do it justice. I've seen better pictures of the National on-line than I can take anyway. Now when I go, I just sit around as much as possible and just take it all in.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

The same thing happens at music concerts... I saw Gun's and Roses two years ago... 5th row center stage.  I take a couple photos during the first minute of the opening song, but then put the phone away and enjoyed the show.... in real life 🙂

I make a real effort to live my life without my head in a cell phone screen.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
52 minutes ago, golfnz34me said:

Aren't smartphones banned on tournament days?  How can so many people be blatantly using them?

Not at many (increasingly many) Tour stops.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, golfnz34me said:

Aren't smartphones banned on tournament days?  How can so many people be blatantly using them?

The problem with rules and laws is whether or not they can be enforced.

Imagine the scenes if people were asked to hand over their personal devices. It would cause more problems than it solved.

To me, the more worrying thing is that people are missing out on the experience of actually being there. It's not about the player, it's about the photographer. Really, who is interested in your shot of player x? Or your crappy picture of the Mona Lisa? It's just a pathetic quest for personal validation; I was there, so I must be important.... or at least, exist.

merlin_137029152_aa4f1816-a22b-477d-8ee4-ebeb6c390ce4-articleLarge.jpg

Edited by leftybutnotPM

5 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

The problem with rules and laws is whether or not they can be enforced.

Imagine the scenes if people were asked to hand over their personal devices. It would cause more problems than it solved.

To me, the more worrying thing is that people are missing out on the experience of actually being there. It's not about the player, it's about the photographer. Really, who is interested in your shot of player x? Or your crappy picture of the Mona Lisa? It's just a pathetic quest for personal validation; I was there, so I must be important.... or at least, exist.

merlin_137029152_aa4f1816-a22b-477d-8ee4-ebeb6c390ce4-articleLarge.jpg

The above picture seems fake or Photoshopped. I was in Paris in 2008....the Mona Lisa is a very small picture...the above makes it look fairly large....like 3'x4'...it's maybe 1/2 that size.

6 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

The above picture seems fake or Photoshopped. I was in Paris in 2008....the Mona Lisa is a very small picture...the above makes it look fairly large....like 3'x4'...it's maybe 1/2 that size.

Sorry. You are incorrect.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

24200632736_5fb7e6a67c_kjpg.jpg

Edited by leftybutnotPM

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

It is not.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was at the Louvre in 2004, 2005, way before smartphones and people were crazy with the digital cameras in front of the Mona Lisa. It has always been pandemonium there, now it's just smartphones instead of digicams. Signs said no flash photography and people were flashing away. It was a total turn off back then, nothing has changed.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I was at the Louvre in 2004, 2005, way before smartphones and people were crazy with the digital cameras in front of the Mona Lisa. It has always been pandemonium there, now it's just smartphones instead of digicams. Signs said no flash photography and people were flashing away. It was a total turn off back then, nothing has changed.

Are you a Renaissance Man there Nevets?  First Robert Frost poetry and now the Louvre!

31 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

It was smaller but the staff took a cell phone picture of the painting and enlarged it.

Note: This thread is 1490 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!