IGNORED

How Noise Sensitive Are You?

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the most part, noise doesn't bother me. Music, people chatting, sneezes, machinery, etc.

I do have one sound related thing that distracts me, which I only recently discovered. A buddy who sometimes joins me golfing likes to play music, either through his phone speaker or a small bluetooth speaker. Usually it's a Pandora / Spotify / iheartradio classic rock station or something in rock genre. I'm not a music on the course guy, but I'm pretty chill on course so it doesn't bother me. Anyways, I am addressing the ball and starting to make my waggle / backswing when suddenly the station goes into a commercial; volume, pitch, rhythm and tempo all change for the commercial bit. It was so jarring I ended up hitting a terrible shot, at least that is my excuse.

I should have just stopped and reset, but come on, pay the $10 a month for the premium, commercial free service man 🤬

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Constant noises like mowers, cars, blowers really don't bother me. I don't like guys talking when I'm ready to hit. Some guys stand fairly close, and have a conversation with each other like my golf is bothering their talking. I play pretty fast. Just give me a few seconds, please!

My course is right next to the inter coastal so if the wind is calm I can hear people on their boats yapping but that doesn't bother me. Saturday evening there was a group of cart golfers way on the back of one of the nines and I could hear them as if they were almost next to me. A little annoying but that's personal, not really infringing or anything. Now, my dog licks his junk nice and slow with the most disgusting sounds you have ever heard. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

49 minutes ago, snapfade said:

My course is right next to the inter coastal so if the wind is calm I can hear people on their boats yapping but that doesn't bother me. Saturday evening there was a group of cart golfers way on the back of one of the nines and I could hear them as if they were almost next to me. A little annoying but that's personal, not really infringing or anything. Now, my dog licks his junk nice and slow with the most disgusting sounds you have ever heard. 

One time, in the dead of winter, I was playing my local course by myself, close to twilight.  Across the course, on the back nine I could hear a group hooting, hollering and laughing... obviously stoked up on too many beers.  Turns out it was a pack of coyotes... which I met on the final tee, where I hit a driver, but quickly walked past them with a 5 iron in hand...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

Here if you are anywhere near the little ponds you have to be on the lookout for snakes and alligators. They don't trim around the ponds that well, so ya never know.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

10 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

One time, in the dead of winter, I was playing my local course by myself, close to twilight.  Across the course, on the back nine I could hear a group hooting, hollering and laughing... obviously stoked up on too many beers.  Turns out it was a pack of coyotes... which I met on the final tee, where I hit a driver, but quickly walked past them with a 5 iron in hand...

I'm not sure a 5 iron is the right club for that.:-P You have been control with a 7 or 8 I would think. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I'm not sure a 5 iron is the right club for that.:-P You have been control with a 7 or 8 I would think. 

I was looking for a "punch" shot. And the five iron is a little longer for the distance control between a coyote and myself. I felt a driver head would just snap off and I would be coyote gruel.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was looking for a "punch" shot. And the five iron is a little longer for the distance control between a coyote and myself. I felt a driver head would just snap off and I would be coyote gruel.

Excellent thought process. How about 'the wedge in either hand' approach like a golf ninja?

Scott

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Excellent thought process. How about 'the wedge in either hand' approach like a golf ninja?

I was in doubt about how much bounce I should use with my wedges. On the other, I should have just opened my golf umbrella to look bigger.

With a regular group of buddies, one learns to respect other's peculiar quirks.  Noise does't usually bother me but I had a buddy that would lose a shot with the slightest noise, like a squirrel running on a branch.  Movement behind me on the downswing gets me.  I just ask people that I play with for the first time to move aside and to please stand still explaining that I have something wrong in my brain.  I apologize profusely.  I tell them it was years getting banged around playing hockey.   I tell them they can talk all they want but please don't go moving around.  Never had anyone not respect my request.  

I do recall having a super round off the tips at Bethpage Black and just as I was coming down, another player drops or throws his bag and kicks it.  He had 3 jacked the 15th hole.  I topped it right into the fescue.  I looked at him and just said, "WTF" .    There is probably 20-50 msecs during the release, it doesn't take much of a flinch to mess it all up

I don't mind noise as long as its constant.  Even low conversations on the tee don't bother me.  The two things that do are:

• Someone trying to hold a conversation with ME when I'm trying to hit a shot.  I can't answer a question during my routine...or it's really hard.  I have to stop and resume when I'm done.
  • Music.  Just not a fan.  I think it's kinda like above...I'm one of those people who will mouth or whisper lyrics if I know the song.  I start thinking of the song and whats coming next instead of the shot.  It's hard for me to block.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was in doubt about how much bounce I should use with my wedges. On the other, I should have just opened my golf umbrella to look bigger.

frilled lizard.jpg

As for noise, sudden noise can get on my nerves, but mostly guys who don't stop taking even when you are swinging bug me.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

As for noise, sudden noise can get on my nerves, but mostly guys who don't stop taking even when you are swinging bug me.

If you wanted me to shut up, you should have just said so 😃

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Noise doesn’t bother me unless my playing partners and intentionally trying to make me laugh in my backswing...which always happens with a couple of buddies.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

A sudden unexpected noise, I suspect, bothers most of us.  I typically accept background noise without complaint.  Now and then I may ask someone to stop making noise.  A member of our group one rainy day apparently liked to move his legs in a nervous or unthinking manner while waiting for us to hit.  There was an audible "swish swish swish" as he stood there twitching/vibrating.  I finally had to say, "George, stand still for 15 seconds, PLEASE!"

Brian Kuehn

Talking gets in my head.  I am thinking during the swing.  Except for my wife.  She has never golfed, but I feel confident that I would tune her out entirely.  She would agree...but I would not hear her.

At Boca Raton Municipal golf course there had been a freakin' bird in a back porch off the side of the 11th green/12th tee box.  Someone had trained it to laugh loudly and make rude comments like "Miss it Noonan!" and "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" I don't know if a golfer did the thing in or what, but that damned bird got in my head all the time.

Nothing at all. I get really in the zone and don´t care about the environment.

My playing partners offten ask me if i didn´t heard the "..." (put an annoying sound in there) while i was hitting a shot, but I almost don´t. 

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!