Sign in to follow this  
crissmillputters

putter, insert or none?

Note: This thread is 4508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. insert or none?

• plastic insert
    • milled face
    • grooved face
    • dont care

14 posts / 6527 viewsLast Reply

Right now I'm playing a Yes! putter and can't complain. not that I'm a great putter (average around 36 putts a round) but I do notice a much better initial roll with the Yes! over my last POC Hippo putter.

I play a really cheap putter. It puts the ball in the hole just fine.
I was thinking of upgrading to something fancy until I saw the putter Tiger uses. It looks pretty plain.

I am not really concerned what the putter looks like or what type of face it has. I have just tried a few putters and picked the ones that I think feel the best.

Currently in the bag is a TaylorMade Rossa Monza and this year I may change over to the Yes! Natalie or Hannah as they are both very tempting after hearing about how the Yes! putters get the ball rolling sooner.

We shall see how the season goes...

I had several putters with and without insert. Personally I prefer one solid face, no insert. It seems like insert modify the feel. But once again, that's just my opinion.

For me....the choice of insert or no insert depends on the green conditions and type of putter. For a mallet that has a heavier head when I am putting on greens <12 slope readings....I prefer an insert and carry a Odyssey XG Rossie. For greater than 12 slope....I go with a Ping Anser blade without insert to get a little more natural feedback response (feel and sound). I am also thinking of going out an getting a Ping Karsten which has a solid face with an insert in the back cavity to get little softer response (I can't believe that those can be purchased for $89...what a deal...but better yet...a true Ping which has been mimic by so many....including Scotty).

I prefer no insert. I have an older stainless ping b60 and I really like the feel.
I think that inserts can be the cause of some loss of distance on mis-hits. I really like to have some feedback about my stroke too. There is nothing sweeter then hitting the sweetspot on a non-insert putter.

I was thinking of upgrading to something fancy until I saw the putter Tiger uses. It looks pretty plain.

And very expensive :)

my current putter is the first one i've had that has no insert.
I quite like the sound and feel off it.
It doesn't make much difference on the greens I play 90% of the time. And the 10% of the time that the greens are good - I seem to putt much better on.

So my answer would be "don't care"

Right now I am gaming my SC Studio Style Newport II which I guess has a milled insert. This provides a good amount of feedback, less than than a solid face and much, much more than a true urethane insert (which I am not a fan of).

I prefer either a plain face or a grooved one. Love my Yes! Sophia putter. I am not a fan of soft feel at all. Like a good firm feel, yet not a 'click' noise. THe two best putters I have ever hit are my current gamer and the Cleveland Classic (Scotty Cameron Napa Head before his affiliation with Titleist)

I have a LOT of putters, but I always go back to my od Ping Pal2. I took it to Golf Galaxy Saturday and had a new Winn grip installed.

Joe

Note: This thread is 4508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!