Jump to content
IGNORED

Tobacco Road Trip


Recommended Posts

trying to plan a trip up to north Carolina in sep. going play tobacco road and looking for 4 other courses to play. currently looking into pine needles, mid pines, dormie club, talamore, southern pines, and maybe a Pinehurst course. Anyone have any recommendations on the courses listed or some others? thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • iacas changed the title to Tobacco Road Trip
  • Administrator

I don't think you'll be able to get on Dormie anymore. They may have finally gone private.

I'd skip Talamore from that list, and definitely try to do Pine Needles and/or Mid-Pines.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
10 hours ago, OoAaronoO said:

trying to plan a trip up to north Carolina in sep. going play tobacco road and looking for 4 other courses to play. currently looking into pine needles, mid pines, dormie club, talamore, southern pines, and maybe a Pinehurst course. Anyone have any recommendations on the courses listed or some others? thank you.

Top rank are Mid Pines and Pine Needles.  Of those two, I like Mid Pines a little better, but both are excellent.  Dormie is good, but you have to book through a limited number of sources.  I know Talamore Travel can get you on, and I'm pretty sure that Tobacco Road Travel can as well.  You might want to play that this year, they do pan to go completely private sometime soon.  Southern Pines is another Donald Ross design, I hear conditions are improving.  I play Talamore quite a bit, and its good, but not in the class of the others.  Under the same ownership, Mid South is a better course.  A lot of people like Legacy.  

To get advanced tee times on the best Pinehurst courses, #2 and #4, you'll need to stay on their property.  The others are pretty good too, in my view I'd recommend #8, #9 as the "best of the rest".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's a review I did of the three courses I played when I visited in 2018.

I would try and get on Dormie Club if you can especially since it's going private. I appreciate the course architecture more now than I did when I played it and would switch my ranking from the topic below and rank Dormie Club above Talamore. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm heading down in 2 weeks.  We're not playing Dormie, but while we were sorting out our options someone in our group did call and it was still open for public play.  At least through March 1. 

Mid Pines or Pine Needles were targets for us but they're hosting a tournament that weekend.   

So we're staying at Pinehurst Manor and playing:

Thursday - Pinehurst No. 3

Friday - Pinehurst No. 4 and The Cradle.

Saturday - Pinehurst Nos. 2 and 8.

Sunday - Tobacco Road.

Its my first trip to the area, but I'll report back.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

I'm heading down in 2 weeks.  We're not playing Dormie, but while we were sorting out our options someone in our group did call and it was still open for public play.  At least through March 1. 

Mid Pines or Pine Needles were targets for us but they're hosting a tournament that weekend.   

So we're staying at Pinehurst Manor and playing:

Thursday - Pinehurst No. 3

Friday - Pinehurst No. 4 and The Cradle.

Saturday - Pinehurst Nos. 2 and 8.

Sunday - Tobacco Road.

Its my first trip to the area, but I'll report back.

 

Please do

 

I can play dormie in sep. If I go through tobacco road booking 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, dsc123 said:

I'm heading down in 2 weeks.  We're not playing Dormie, but while we were sorting out our options someone in our group did call and it was still open for public play.  At least through March 1. 

Mid Pines or Pine Needles were targets for us but they're hosting a tournament that weekend.   

So we're staying at Pinehurst Manor and playing:

Thursday - Pinehurst No. 3

Friday - Pinehurst No. 4 and The Cradle.

Saturday - Pinehurst Nos. 2 and 8.

Sunday - Tobacco Road.

Its my first trip to the area, but I'll report back.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  #3 is a great course to start on, relatively short, but with some really demanding green sites.  You might want to check this out, I believe much of current #3 follows the back nine of the original #3:

I just read that the bar/restaurant at the Manor Inn has reopened with an emphasis on a variety of whiskeys and whiskey-based cocktails.  Also, you're pretty close walking distance to the Pinehurst Brewing Company.  Have a great time!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...

Played Tobacco Road yesterday and I couldn't recommend it enough.  Visually stunning.  Like nothing else I've ever played.  Every hole is so cool.  Just accept that half your shots will be blind and enjoy the bold design.  I wouldn't want to play it every day, but I couldn't imagine being in the area and not squeezing in a round there. 

I also absolutely loved Pinehurst No 4.  Probably my favorite course on the trip.  It felt like an easier, and maybe prettier version of #2.   Of course, I also loved playing No. 2. Those greens are so cool and so difficult.  I really wish there were more courses like Pinehurst with wide fairways and waste areas instead of rough.  You really can't lose a ball out there and that goes a long way to keeping it fun when you're struggling to score. 

#3 and #8 were also really good, but 4 and 2 really stood out. 

I think we're planning on doing the other area courses next year, but I can't imagine going down there and not squeezing in rounds at Tobacco Road and No. 4.   

 

We stayed at the Manor Inn but didn't eat or drink at the bar/restaurant.  We did go to the brewery right around the corner. 

Edited by dsc123
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

Played Tobacco Road yesterday and I couldn't recommend it enough.  Visually stunning.  Like nothing else I've ever played.  Every hole is so cool.  Just accept that half your shots will be blind and enjoy the bold design.  I wouldn't want to play it every day, but I couldn't imagine being in the area and not squeezing in a round there. 

I also absolutely loved Pinehurst No 4.  Probably my favorite course on the trip.  It felt like an easier, and maybe prettier version of #2.   Of course, I also loved playing No. 2. Those greens are so cool and so difficult.  I really wish there were more courses like Pinehurst with wide fairways and waste areas instead of rough.  You really can't lose a ball out there and that goes a long way to keeping it fun when you're struggling to score. 

#3 and #8 were also really good, but 4 and 2 really stood out. 

I think we're planning on doing the other area courses next year, but I can't imagine going down there and not squeezing in rounds at Tobacco Road and No. 4.   

 

We stayed at the Manor Inn but didn't eat or drink at the bar/restaurant.  We did go to the brewery right around the corner. 

That's awesome.. good to hear. I'm all booked for September. Cant wait

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Does it occur to you that your friend is not the arbiter of what is or isn't appropriate?  He is one man with an opinion. And you seem to think that that trumps anyone else's. You may as well say that I as an Australian, represent everyone in my country and have the final say over anything to do with my country.  Funny how this is similar to you you thinking that Florida is doing great on Covid - but then you'd know, so we'll defer to you, in spite of the numbers and facts. You are passive aggressive and a troll. Actually, I don't think you are a troll. I fear you believe your own simplistic arguments. For your information, the Chief Wahoo image is part of an exhibit at the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia.  
    • You really don’t get it. Not do you realize how dumb statements like that are, apparently, because nobody would make such statements intentionally if they did.
    • Played 27 Holes today made 7 birdies today finally birdied the 1st, just the second and third left to birdie.
    • I’ll pass that along to him and his people.  👍
    • Played my second round (ever) at the course that I think will be a home course for me next year (the complex has two 18s... I have played the other 18, but not in over a decade).  Birdied #13 to improve my away composite to five birdies and a total of -4 (I still have yet to par a hole nine in 2021 ... anywhere).  My two-round composite at that course is a 77.  By contrast, no birdies so far at my home course (well beyond two rounds played... and at least three scheduled in the next two weeks!), and three holes there I've yet to par.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...