IGNORED

Polarized or Non-Polarized Sunglasses?

I was an inactive participant in a conversation at the range last night about Polarized vs Non-Polarized Sunglasses. 

One gentlemen swore up and down that you should NEVER use Polarized Sunglasses for Golf. Another gentleman was just as animatedly defending the position that you should ONLY buy Polarized Sunglasses for golf or for anything else for that matter.

What do you all think Polarized vs Non-Polarized? 
Incidentally, I don't know if my sunglasses are polarized or not.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Polarized lenses cut reflected glare.  That’s why they’re a favorite of drivers or anyone around the water.  Some golfers claim that they can read greens better with non-polarized lenses because they see the reflected sheen of any grain better.

I prefer polarized lenses simply because by reducing the reflected glare, they’re much easier on my eyes, which is why I wear sunglasses in the first place.  

Unfortunately, the Oakley Prizm lenses that I really like are not offered as polarized.   :-(

Edited by David in FL
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Polarized lenses cut reflected glare.  That’s why they’re a favorite of drivers or anyone around the water.  Some golfers claim that they can read greens better with non-polarized lenses because they see the reflected sheen of any grain better.

I prefer polarized lenses simply because by reducing the reflected glare, they’re much easier on my eyes, which is why I wear sunglasses in the first place.  

Unfortunately, the Oakley Prizm lenses that I really like are not offered as polarized.   :-(

Yeah, you pretty much just summed up the argument these two guys were having.

18 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yeah, you pretty much just summed up the argument these two guys were having.

Most modern greens have very little grain.  Even on old-school Bermuda greens, like we still find down here on rare occasion, the grain grows predominantly downhill.  So “reading the grain” is less important than some people still believe.  

Of course, there are those that still insist that plumb bobbing helps, so...   ;-)

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Incidentally, I don't know if my sunglasses are polarized or not.

Geordi LaForge visor will help you with distance, awesome green reading, biological makeup of all the vegetation, record swing speed, club swing path, exact distance to and aim point, analyze the ball you are using and multitude of other NG Star Trekkie stuff...…… :banana:

See the source image

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IowaGreg said:

Geordi LaForge visor will help you with distance, awesome green reading, biological makeup of all the vegetation, record swing speed, club swing path, exact distance to and aim point, analyze the ball you are using and multitude of other NG Star Trekkie stuff...…… :banana:

See the source image

Screw that!
I'm going full on 1979 Cylon Eye!!!!!

cylon.gif.83f272ea40fb12008c9a7fe564b7e61b.gif

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to Polarized or Non-Polarized Sunglasses?

I always wondered why I putt really well at sunrise and also really well at sunset.  During midday sun, I cannot see the breaks for the life of me.

Maybe I need polar sunglasses?  I don't use sunglasses.

• 1 month later...

I've got prescription polarized sunglasses that I wear everywhere (California) and have done some reading about the pros and cons of wearing them while golfing. My sense is that they interfere with my depth perception a little. So, while I wear them while driving and hitting from the FW I try to take them off for anything within 50' of the green and usually while putting.

Edited by Bunkerbuster7
grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 12:09 AM, Bunkerbuster7 said:

I've got prescription polarized sunglasses that I wear everywhere (California) and have done some reading about the pros and cons of wearing them while golfing. My sense is that they interfere with my depth perception a little. So, while I wear them while driving and hitting from the FW I try to take them off for anything within 50' of the green and usually while putting.

I too wear polarized prescription sunglasses and could not imagine playing without them. While researching the Oakley TargetLine glasses and the Dark Golf Prizm lenses I read that with polarized lenses you could loose some depth perception (this is preferrable to loosing balls by not being able to see where they land!). Anyway, while being fitted for a new pair of glasses, I asked the optometrist if polarization affected depth of perception. He said he'd not heard of it. Not conclusive proof I know but I thought it interesting and in keeping with my perceptions!

• Like 1

Hey Hugh, I agree with nearly everything you've said. But, I really think wearing them can screw you up on greens in terms of being able to judge contours. Try taking them off after you've read the green for a tricky putt to see if you see anything different. Not that it's going to make any difference the way I'VE been putting this year. Pfft. Let me know what you think.

ohbaby.jpg

Edited by Bunkerbuster7

I tend not to wear any sunglasses while golfing. For some reason, I have a hard time following the flight and landing of the shots with my sunglasses on. But anytime off the course, I wear polarized.

Edited by djfajt71
Forgot to add a point.

To me, sunglasses are just another piece of gear. Use and wear what you’re comfortable with and screw what the other guys at the course think of it. 

6 hours ago, PatCav said:

To me, sunglasses are just another piece of gear. Use and wear what you’re comfortable with and screw what the other guys at the course think of it. 

IMG_1793.thumb.jpeg.be55de31ac20f3e7a3741a229bfa0da9.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried both, even invested in Oakley's Golf glasses. They all seem to flatten out the greens for me. So I take them off to putt, and drive. Now I mostly leave them in the car so I don't lose them on the course. Again.