Jump to content
Grass Destruction

Testing Cobra F9 One-Length Irons

14 posts / 1650 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Winter is the worst. I get bored and start browsing eBay for golf club deals. Of course I usually find something that makes me go 'hmmm'. This time it's a barely-used set of Cobra F9 Speedback One Length irons (5-PW). I was the only bidder so I got a great deal on them. I had to change the grips to my usual midsize CP2 (hated the feel of the standard Cobra Arccos grips) and then added some tungsten to the heads to get the swing weight back to D1. I really like them except for the 5i. I'm guessing the problem is in my head (swinging too hard?) because I hit the rest of them great. The distances are all in line with my old irons but the consistency and dispersion is much better (according to TopTracer at the golf dome I use). 

Next weekend I'm heading to Orlando for a 10 day golf trip with 23 other guys. So I'll get a good sample of how they perform and report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good luck, I am big fan of playing SL clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, tell us how they work out. I interested in how the normally shorter clubs work out, i.e., the 9i, PW, GW and SW with the longer shaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Yes, tell us how they work out. I interested in how the normally shorter clubs work out, i.e., the 9i, PW, GW and SW with the longer shaft.

I only go down to the PW in single length and so far I like it testing in simulators. I'll be using my ShotScope  GPS so I'll have actual measured distances to report. Saturday can't get here soon enough! 

I forgot to add that I ordered a Mavrik Max driver and Mavrik 3h thru Global Golf's UTry program ($25/ea to play/test for 2 weeks) so I'll report how they work out too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Grass Destruction said:

 

I only go down to the PW in single length and so far I like it testing in simulators. I'll be using my ShotScope  GPS so I'll have actual measured distances to report. Saturday can't get here soon enough! 

I forgot to add that I ordered a Mavrik Max driver and Mavrik 3h thru Global Golf's UTry program ($25/ea to play/test for 2 weeks) so I'll report how they work out too. 

I like the Mavrik driver, just not paying $500 for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried them last year.  I liked (loved) hitting the 4 iron. Definitely produced a more penetrating flight that needed a little setup change to recover the height I want but even making these adjustments it felt like hitting a comfortable 7.  It was really fun, couldn't put it down.  

The short irons felt very odd to me. Those would take some work to get used to. I can see using a set where the 4,5,6 were the length of a 6 iron and rest were graduated normally.  Since I'm a decent ball-striker that has learned with a varying length (traditional) set, I don't think that would be a big deal.  To someone newer at the game, it would likely defeat the intent of a truly same-length set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the F9 OL. I play the set from 6i - GW. No problem with the 9i-GW length. I originally had 5-SW. I didn't like the SW because I choke up and play too many partial shots with a 54 and so I went with a MD-4 54/10 to replace it - MD-4 58/8 is the other wedge. I found I didn't hit the 5i particularly well either and went with a 24 degree hybrid - standard length F9, also a 21 degree F9 standard hybrid to round out the irons.

I, too, hated the original grips and went to the CP2 Pro Midsize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@DrvFrShow it sounds like we have very similar tastes! Love the CP2 Midsize grips! 

I'm back from my golf trip and I can confidently say that I will be playing these irons this year. I still want to see how the 5 iron distance compares to the 6 iron and 4 hybrid. There may not be a big enough gap to justify keeping it in the bag. I forgot to recharge the Shot Scope watch a couple times so I didn't get as many rounds recorded as I'd like. It was fairly windy most days so the yardage numbers are a bit skewed until I get more rounds recorded. 

Playing Averages so far for the F9 One Length: 

5i - 168

6i - 165

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 130

PW - 115

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad you are liking the SL irons.  I played 6-GW for the first two years and then added a 5 and SW.  The 5 iron was the harder of the two clubs to adapt to as initially I kept feeling like I had to swing super fast and I was not getting good contact or the distance out of it.  After I settled down and starting swinging smooth and natural with it, my strikes became consistent and on center along with the distance gap over my 6 iron.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, kenstl said:

Glad you are liking the SL irons.  I played 6-GW for the first two years and then added a 5 and SW.  The 5 iron was the harder of the two clubs to adapt to as initially I kept feeling like I had to swing super fast and I was not getting good contact or the distance out of it.  After I settled down and starting swinging smooth and natural with it, my strikes became consistent and on center along with the distance gap over my 6 iron.  

Yep, I hit the 5 on a couple of par 3s and found a smooth swing worked best, then I'd get around 170-ish. I just have to keep telling myself it's a 7 iron that will go 5 iron distances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/5/2020 at 1:11 AM, Grass Destruction said:

Playing Averages so far for the F9 One Length: 

5i - 168

6i - 165

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 130

PW - 115

 

It is the difference between lengths that gives me pause.  8 to 9 is 20 yards.  5 to 7 is 8 yards. 9 to P is 15.  Not easy to play when you have that much dispersion.  Or are these carry distances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/4/2020 at 11:41 AM, Grass Destruction said:

@DrvFrShow it sounds like we have very similar tastes! Love the CP2 Midsize grips! 

I'm back from my golf trip and I can confidently say that I will be playing these irons this year. I still want to see how the 5 iron distance compares to the 6 iron and 4 hybrid. There may not be a big enough gap to justify keeping it in the bag. I forgot to recharge the Shot Scope watch a couple times so I didn't get as many rounds recorded as I'd like. It was fairly windy most days so the yardage numbers are a bit skewed until I get more rounds recorded. 

Playing Averages so far for the F9 One Length: 

5i - 168

6i - 165

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 130

PW - 115

 

I understand these are yardages on a windy day and therefore not representative. Still interesting.... Here's my carry distances with the clubs from a gapping session on a GC Quad:

GW: 103

PW: 118

9i: 131

8i: 143

7i: 156

6i: 170

I get the occasional flier, and the GW tends to go short because I tend not to swing full with it... because wedge. But here's my standard F9 hybrids:

5H - 24 degree: 185

4H - 21 degree: 199

My 5i distance was 180... when I didn't duff it. The standard hybrid is a lot more forgiving.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Adjusting for the elevation difference (Orlando vs Minnesota), windy conditions, and limited number rounds registered yet, I think I'll be pretty close to the same yardages @DrvFrShow. I was at the golf dome tonight with a couple of the irons to work on my swing and check on yardages. The PW and 8 iron are the same carry yardages as yours. The 6 is more like 165. Are your 5 and 4 hybrid single length or standard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, Grass Destruction said:

Adjusting for the elevation difference (Orlando vs Minnesota), windy conditions, and limited number rounds registered yet, I think I'll be pretty close to the same yardages @DrvFrShow. I was at the golf dome tonight with a couple of the irons to work on my swing and check on yardages. The PW and 8 iron are the same carry yardages as yours. The 6 is more like 165. Are your 5 and 4 hybrid single length or standard? 

I went with standard length F9 Hybrids. I don't have a problem with the longer hybrids. It was the shorter clubs like the 9i, PW, and GW. That was why I went OL. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Our owner committed to paying employees through March but has not announced if any future months will be paid. We have a $50 Food Minimum which the owner removed and I contacted the GM and asked if it could be donated to help staff. He indicated yes, so I authorized a $100 charge and hope other member donate also. There are staff members who have been at the club for years, it would be a bad situation if they do not return.
    • Yes, best wishes. So, guess I said it wrong.  I was just trying to emphasize how powerful this virus is.  It was around before the first human got it, and now there's no-telling how many million humans have it. It will be around regardless of what humans do, not that that is a reason not to do the best we can. As for Taiwan . . . "Early Action, Technology & Millions of Face Masks" . . . pretty much rules out the US's  Early Denial, No Testing and No PPE chances for a good outcome.  
    • For something like a driver, grip down for awhile before you make a decision.
    • My club sent out a letter just last week because of inquiries.  I copied and pasted the pertinent items outlined below. The Waterside Grill/Banquets/Special Events: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of the entire establishment, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Sit down restaurant dining has been eliminated to adhere to social distancing requirements. 3. Take-out orders are available based on limited menu. 4. Curb side pick-up available upon request. 5. No gathering of more than 10 people and social distancing within the building observed of 6 feet. 6. Cancellation/postponing of all scheduled events and community activities. 7. Special “Family Style” dinners for take-out and catering orders being offered. 8. Take out of mixed beverages allowed with food orders. Golf Operations: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of the entire establishment, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Social distancing of 6 feet per person required and no gathering of more than 10 people. 3. Golf cart ridership restricted to one person per cart (exception for family members only) 4. Flagpoles to remain in hole at all times. Flagpoles cleaned 2+ times per day. 5. Rakes removed from sand traps. 6. Driving range closed until further notice. Putting green open and flagpoles removed. 7. Removal of sand bottles and coolers from golf carts. 8. Golf carts cleaned and disinfected after each round. 9. Cancellation of all scheduled tournaments and events. 10. Elimination of all shot-gun starts to minimize crowd size in favor of tee times. 11. Remove water stations on golf course and provide bottle water for free. 12. Elimination of course beverage cart. Snacks, beverages and ice bags available in Pro Shop. Fitness Center: 1. The Fitness Center is closed until the COVID-19 social distancing requirement is removed. 2. Membership fees for the fitness center are suspended until the center is reopened. Tennis Courts: 1. Detailed cleaning policy of tennis court area, every 2 hours, set in place and strictly monitored. 2. Water stations removed. The club is doing all it can to remain open and keep as many of the employees working as they possibly can.  Our club is within a city that is solely within a gated community.  The golf course is more busy every day than it has ever been because of the "stay at home" order from the county.  Also, the golf course is considered to be a "park" and has not really had any issues staying open....so far.  What we do have to do is practice social distancing.   Also, the golf course is only open to members and their guests.  Outside players unaccompanied by a member...not allowed.   The county sheriff can show up at any time to make sure all the precautions required are in place and being observed.  As far as golf membership dues are concerned...we are paying what we always pay.    
    • Good stroke there. We didn’t film down the line but it’s a great way to practice (with the sticks) for the path.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Golf Live
      Golf Live
      (31 years old)
    2. Hanse
      Hanse
      (55 years old)
    3. quakebo
      quakebo
      (43 years old)
    4. SiTreach515
      SiTreach515
      (44 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...