EricBro

2-year golfer looking to upgrade my clubs

7 posts / 455 viewsLast Reply

I've been playing for two years with my starter set (Strata, marketed by Callaway).  Still struggling at the game (30 handicap), but I tried a couple of other clubs and I know I can do better than what I've got.  I stopped by Dick's one day and hit a Callaway Rogue X and a Ping (can't remember the model) 7-iron.  Definitely liked the Rogue better than the Ping - felt like there was more mass, and the Trackman said I was hitting it about 25 yards farther than my current clubs and the Ping.

There happened to be a Golf Show in town today and I hit with both a TourEdge (which I had previously swung at a Demo Day) and Callaway (with their Mavrik Max).  I like them both, but swinging them was not consecutive - they were at different places at the show.  I have one course here in town that fits and sells TourEdge (they set me up on a launch monitor at the show and were able to give me some numbers).  And, of course, there are multiple Callaway dealers, just not at that course.  The TourEdge guys were touting the price difference, but based in internet pricing at each manufacturer's website, they're only about $300 apart, so not a relevant difference.

Not sure how to do a valid comparison of the two.  Any thoughts?

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

If you're serious about new clubs, go get fit. It will cost $50 - $150 depending on where, and most places will apply the fitting to the price of new clubs if you buy from them. I wanted new irons, and went to Golf Galaxy. First question they ask is your handicap. Second, price range. I had hit the rogue x last year, really liked it, but wasn't ready. I went with the idea of buying new Callaways. I tried Cobra SZ, and it was best for my swing. I bought 8 clubs for $914. 

Distance is secondary. Pay attention to the dispersal. I have a problem with fitting because I start playing trackman ball. I try to bash the ball and see the result instead of just swinging. Don't fall into that trap. As a bonus, the fitters are generally pretty decent golfers and they can offer tips.

You can't buy a game, but you can buy a better game. 

I went back to the show the next day. I was going to give it another try, even though they weren't next to each other, but the Callaway guy was gone. In talking to the Tour Edge guy, it turns out that they also have Callaway but don't they have the Mavrik in yet. I'm going to check back in with him every week until he gets it, then he'll fit me with whichever I decide I like. I know I'm limiting myself with only 2 brands to choose from, but I think I like them both and more choices would probably only confuse me.  I'll post back once I've tried them. 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, EricBro said:

I know I'm limiting myself with only 2 brands to choose from, but I think I like them both and more choices would probably only confuse me.  I'll post back once I've tried them. 

Golf is a mind game. Whatever you choose should feel good to you, make you happy, make you want to go to the range, want to play. Don't worry about finding the exact right club, worry about finding one you love, that feels good, that makes you not regret parting with the cash!

Good luck.

Get a fitting even if the fitting costs you a few extra bucks. Clubs are expensive and last for years. Even a properly fit driver can last you 10 years. 

Bring your current 7i with you when you go for a fitting. Warm up, and hit 3 balls with that, then 3 balls with the new 7i, then 3 balls with your current 7i, then go back to the new one. The reason to bring your old one is for a baseline. Try more than one brand. You'll have these for 5 to 10 years.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades