IGNORED

Time Spent on 100 Yards In

1puttpete
Note: This thread is 1529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

43 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

I'm sorry I miscalculated my % time on short game its 75% .

Why? Is your short game a glaring weakness? (I'd assume not since you are only getting 3 GIR per round which indicates the full swing is a major weakness)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

I'm sorry I miscalculated my % time on short game its 75% .

WAY too much. Even if it was a glaring weakness.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Patch said:

My current short game practice time is about 80% of my time spent on my game. In my current situation, I don't see this ever changing. 

It wasn't always this much. Back when I was healthier I probably only spent 20%-30% of my time on my short game. My long game was more important back then. 

Thank you again. I just wanted to add that I miscalculated my current practice time on the short game its 75% now. Like you when I was healthier it was the reverse. 

9 hours ago, 1puttpete said:

What % of time do you practice fr 100 - 50- 25 yds. & Putting?

Do you keep track of Sandies- U& D & Putts?

I spend maybe 20% on putting and 15% on short game.  I'm just really bad at putting.

I don't record as much of my long game practice, because sometimes it's 3-4 shots while I wait for something to load while I work from home (I have a home range).

20% putting is too much for most people, but I am notoriously bad at putting.  About a quarter of my rounds, I'd improve my score if a random 25 handicapper putted for me.

4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

GIR is king.  It presupposes a good tee shot.  It gives you the chances to score.  Even a blind squirrel like me will find a nut given enough chances.  It's better to not have to rely on getting up and down.  Hit your drive as long as you can in play and hit the green.  Just go for the middle of the green, perhaps even from within 100 yards.  The middle of the green on most courses is usually a very nice spot to be.

Can confirm.  Made a ~35 foot birdie putt on 18 today (to shoot 80 on the nose).  I putted better than usual today, but even still, my only birdie out of 9 GIR.  I didn't make my good score due to putting.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

5 hours ago, klineka said:

Why? Is your short game a glaring weakness? (I'd assume not since you are only getting 3 GIR per round which indicates the full swing is a major weakness)

Based on his posts, I think the OP is a senior golfer with some physical limitations. I’m not sure if the low GIR% is something he can improve much on by working on the full swing.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

WAY too much. Even if it was a glaring weakness.

Is there a point of diminishing returns where a golfer should spend more time on the short game and putting? I know an older Korean man who has a great full swing but he just can’t physically hit the ball far enough anymore. If he’s already playing the forward tees and he’s still hitting 5w to the green, he’s probably already at the limit of how good his full swing can be, right? At that point I would think he would be better off spending more time practicing on the short game because he can still see improvement from that.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Many members use Game Golf, it provides many other stats, also.
If you don't want to tag each shot, you can simply use the App for free and enter as you play.
I then review my rounds and input them into a spreadsheet to show trends / progress in categories. 

I devote time to practice when needed. If I have a trend showing too many putts from a certain distance, 
or a certain distance which shot dispersion becomes bad, I work on those aspects.
In general, I practice when I can.

Thank you  I will ck out Game Golf. I currently use mscorecard. I then enter in a Notepad on Smartphone things like chip/ pitch dist off the green/;club. As also  1st putt dist fr hole 2nd putt dist.  

Scoring avg about 71.7 on any given week on the tour.

PUTTS AVG. 28 - 30 ( 1.67 per hole )

Wedges/ Chips/ Pitch/ 14-16

total  >> 42 - 46

Par 72 -42 = 30 shots = 58% short game 

PROS SPEND EQUAL TIME ON.LONG & SHORT GAME

1 hour ago, leftybutnotPM said:

A 300 yard drive counts for one shot. The same as a six inch putt. Don't neglect practicing those tap ins.

What are these 300 yard drives and six inch putts you speak of? 😢

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

I agree 100% on the 3 footers. I practice those alot because I CANT STAND missing them. 

I also work on the lag putts 20 - 30 ft w the goal of getting a short 1-3ft 2nd putt.

"KEEP IT IN THE SHORT GRASS " 

I think when Iacas says to practice full swing more than short game, it's because if you miss a putt, it normally costs you (1) stroke. On the other hand if you miss a 250 yard drive, and get stuck behind a tree, or worse O.B., that could cost you 2-3 stokes.

Bottom line is that I sincerely believe that my 6 to 18 inch putting is at pro level.

Now.....if a pro has a tap in of that length on 9 holes in a round, that's pretty much 1/8 of their score. ANd I can match them every time.

Logically, 12.5% of my game is at elite pro level.

In other words.... still trying to work out what the OP is trying to say.... :-)

• iacas changed the title to Pro Shots
  • Administrator

Dude, read my book. Or Every Shot Counts. Until then, stop posting these dumb topics.

PGA Tour pros average about 9 tap-ins per round. That's about 12.5% of their scoring. By your logic, they should spend about 12.5% of their practice time tapping in balls.

Goodness.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Bad Math to Justify a Bad Practice Plan
15 hours ago, 1puttpete said:

Scoring avg about 71.7 on any given week on the tour.

PUTTS AVG. 28 - 30 ( 1.67 per hole )

Wedges/ Chips/ Pitch/ 14-16

total  >> 42 - 46

Par 72 -42 = 30 shots = 58% short game 

PROS SPEND EQUAL TIME ON.LONG & SHORT GAME

No. No. Please read LSW and get up to speed on this old, incorrect thinking. Hell I’ll even buy you a copy if you’re willing to read it. Otherwise, like @iacas said, stop posting this nonsense. 😖

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dude, read my book. Or Every Shot Counts. Until then, stop posting these dumb topics.

PGA Tour pros average about 9 tap-ins per round. That's about 12.5% of their scoring. By your logic, they should spend about 12.5% of their practice time tapping in balls.

Goodness.

I was quoting the GREAT GARY PLAYER .HE SAID AMATEURS SHOULD SPEND 90% OF THE TIME ON SHORT. ITS SAFE TO SAY MR. PLAYER KNOWS A LOT MORE THAN U DO MORON!!

Just now, 1puttpete said:

I was quoting the GREAT GARY PLAYER .HE SAID AMATEURS SHOULD SPEND 90% OF THE TIME ON SHORT. ITS SAFE TO SAY MR. PLAYER KNOWS A LOT MORE THAN U DO MORON!!

ANYWAY WHO THE HELL WOULD READ A BOOK.BY SOMEONE WE NEVER HEARD OF . YOUVE ALREADY PROVEN U DONT KNOW UR ASS FR A HOLE IN THE GROUND 

5 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

Gary player also said very recently on TV that he doesn't rate swing tempo as important when someone praised Oostuizen's swing.

He is pretty much regarded as the biggest crank in golf - and a blatant cheat and liar to boot. A complete dick.

Gary Player is the LAST person (professional) whose advice I would follow.

A great player does not a great teacher make.

Edited by leftybutnotPM
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, 1puttpete said:

I know more than Gary Player about this shit. Sorry.

Reasons have been laid out in multiple topics here, including the 65/20/15 topic linked to earlier.

100% long game right now.  Trying to come back after injury.

Once the weather breaks, I'll spend some time on the icing on the cake, until then it is meat and potatoes.  Maybe 50/50 because I was always a very good ball striker.  One of my best pleasures was watching Sam Snead on the range several days on end.  What a swing.  I had the chance to play him $100 nassau straight up with automatics and birdies.  I knew it I would loss bigtime even to an 80 year old and I did not really have the money, I regret it tremendously.   wish I had the money back then.  I loved his swing.

When I was playing well, I spent more time on short game than long game because I would have a lot of shots inside 50 yards despite hitting a lot of greens in regulation.  Most of the par 4 holes where I play are 400 yards or under and par 5 holes under 530, so, I have a lot of little short shots to make birdie ad turning 3 into 2 is a secret.  I try to play the same ball for as many holes as possible, this is a silly way to avoid any penalties shots.  Yes, I can afford a new ball every hole.  It is just a goal to avoid a lost ball, water or OB.  Helps with my score.  When someone pulls my ball out of the hole and complains how ugly it is, I tell them that ball has 15 birdies.  It is magic.  I ain't throwing it away.  The reality.  I don't want want penalties.

Some golfers need 100% on long game.  That is me.  Now.

Note: This thread is 1529 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!