IGNORED

LPGA: The Good Ole Days? Have You Stopped Watching?

Indy1954
Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

It's because of statements you've made like the following that you're getting push back:

(1) For Me I do not want to watch the LPGA when the leaderboard is full of Asian names and they are the only players they show, I want to see some N. American, Canadian, European, Aussy, etc players.

(2) The point of this thread is to stop the decline of the LPGA and filling the leaderboard with Asian players and only showing their play is not the answer

(3) Fan appeal is the name of the game and the LPGA better brighten up or the LPGA will soon be nothing but Asian golfers.

(4) When the LPGA puts a quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

(5) Its the USA LPGA Tour not the Asian Tour

When you make statements like the above, you're going to get flack.  Golf is a merit-based game.  I don't think you read or understand why people are calling you out.  Reread what you have said.  The statements are discriminatory in nature against Asian players, for no other reason than that they are Asian.  That's wrong man.

Ncates00... when I get thrown in jail for sneaking onto Cypress Point I'd like you to represent me as my attorney...😄

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

I just realized I spelled her name wrong, English was not my top subject.

I think shes very credible, I copied this from a blog.

Shes won three major championships and 16 LPGA Tour events. She has 41 worldwide victories including (10) LPGA Legends Tour wins and 8 worldwide major championships. She has 15 holes-in-one with (9) in competition. She was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame, class of 2019

I just joined today. I've always wanted others opinion to this question but could never find a forum with enough members to ask. You was new when you joined right, did anyone put you down on your first post?

Well saying "Its the US LPGA tour and not the Asian tour " is not going to get you very far. When actually it is just LPGA tour, period. If Asians dominate the tour, then the Americans or whoever else should get better, that's the truth. Jan's statements from 2010 or so are still wrong. If Australian women were dominating the tour back then I bet she would kept her mouth shut. Point is, we all have opinions, just be careful how you word them, because some might take them out of context, or whatever. Happens all the time in the media. 

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually like watching the Asian ladies. Most of them have perfect tempo in their swings, plus I have never seen one of them lose their cool on a errant shot. I think they train very hard to keep their mind in the moment. They look pretty good to this old man too!

Edited by CharlieB
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

Tks Sandy Lie for the nicest best responce so far.

I agree that Korean tv doesn't want to watch Americans, so is it so wrong with Americans saying they don't want to watch a leaderboard full of Asians

And yes American girls need to improve. We thought the younger ones had someone to follow and inspire after but I feel Wie ruined that when she tried to compete against the men and fizzled out.

Your welcome.  Like all other sports and to those that watch them we all watch for various reasons. Favorite sport growing up, cheering for your local or favorite team. College, professional it doesn’t matter.  Golf to me is different. It’s a sport that “we play” and can play for a long time unlike other sports.  Some people say they don’t watch golf, they would rather play!  I actually watch to learn. Doesn’t matter whose playing, men or women. And besides I’ve read more times than I can count how the Ladies game is closer to weekend golfers than the Men’s game. Well, I’m rambling.  

If one doesn’t like the leaderboard that week on the LPGA turn it off, it’s your choice. Inbee Park is an awesome golfer as are other Korean golfers. I think I remember Kristi Kerr in an interview talking about the Korean presence and dominance on the tour and she admits the American girls need to step it up. 

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to LPGA: The Good Ole Days? Have You Stopped Watching?
1 hour ago, MSDOGS1976 said:

I watch a little on tv and have been to LPGA events. The only thing that puts me off sometimes are the overweight ones. I know......that sounds terrible but I want players to look like athletes. Same holds true for men. And I do think more Americans would be a plus for the tour, but you have to earn your way on tour. It's not going to be given to you. 

Most of the women are in pretty good shape. I like watching because they have to hit more different clubs .

Ill give you a choice, which one would you rather watch?

180809-daly-pants.jpg

Sexy-Golfer-4.jpg

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

Seems most are missing my point. Its not about how great one plays this great game, its about fan appeal.

I want to tune in and watch good golf. Great golf, even.

I don't care if I ever see Paula Creamer hit a golf shot ever again… unless she's playing really well that week.

Your opinions are not necessarily the opinions of all, @Indy1954. You seem to have a hard time accepting this.

5 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

Fans are what makes or breaks the game, you don't have to golf to be a fan. Players like Creamer, Wei, Lexi, etc. have fan appeal, Inbee doesn't to me and she's the top player.

Spend time (or not, I don't care), and you'll learn about some of the "foreign" players you so dislike.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Asian players you so detest… are often the best players. They deserve their spots on the LPGA Tour, and they deserve to be covered by TV as they're the ones leading and winning events.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

I know this is a touchy subject but I just want others opinion.

I used to watch the LPGA tour every week, watched it just about the same as the PGA sometimes more. But not anymore, I turn it on and see the leaderboard. If no one I like watching is on the 1st/2nd page I turn it off. Why, cause I know they only show the leaders and not players off the hunt even if they are popular players.

Fans want to see their favorite players no matter if they are in the hunt. When Tiger is playing but not in contention fans still want to see him and if they don't show him they'll turn to another program, same with the LPGA. If they're playing I want to see Lexi, Henderson, Cristie, Lincicome, Nordqvist, Stacy, Natalie, Wie, etc..

Well, that's one thing that bugged me about today's telecast of the Genesis today. They've got poor old dry as dust DL3 following Tiger and Spieth and whoever else around, who are so far out of it they have no chance! Why?! Is it because Tiger is the "host"? Is this contractual? Is CBS forced to show this even though Tiger is hacking it up, and so is Spieth? And whoever else was playing with them? Ridiculous! 

Show me the leaders, and those charging up the leader board! Saturday is moving day, and the only move Tiger made was down! 

As long as the competition is good, I'll watch the LPGA Tour, and yes, I will root for American golfers. Just because one of ours isn't in the lead doesn't mean I won't tune in! 

Edited by Buckeyebowman
  • Like 1

• Administrator

Oh, BTW, I watch more LPGA Tour golf today than ever. I'm watching the ISPS Handa Final Round right now from Australia.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

Here's a good example:

Today Tiger is tied for 55th but they are still showing him playing because that's what fans want to see.

Are they showing any other player tied for 55, "NO".

If the LPGA wants to stay alive in the US they need to show popular players, that's a fact. Otherwise they should move to a foreign country. And with all the events moved to out of the US that's just where they are headed.

You can't have a Professional sport without fans, and year by year the LPGA looses US fans.

1) They show Eldrick even if he is DFL because he's a GOAT and more importantly ......a NEEDLE MOVER.

If Tiger was absent in LA this week and FIGJAM Phil....also a popular and active PGA pro with the most wins 2nd behind Tiger they would NOT SHOW Phil at  +5 or DFL.....NO...why?...because he's not a NEEDLE MOVER...it just that simple.

IMO....there are only 2 players in the last 3 decades that changed that truly changed the interest and popularity in golf....Tiger did it globally and Se Ri Pak for South Koreans.

No one else did it....not Annika nor Lorena....maybe Ricky and Rory made golf more interesting for some kids nowadays.

2) They LPGA has been dead in the US for years....Mericans just are interested in women's golf...even if Lexi or Nelly became dominators...it would do little for Merican golf interest.

And the reason why GC isn't showing a bunch of popular Americans is that many women golf fans only want to see the leaders and the best players....and Korean and Japan TV/cable networks also pay HUGE dollars to GC and the LPGA for the GC feed.....so that's another reason why the top players are covered on the LPGA...not covered based on nationality.

You'd still be whining if GC showed Mericans Marina Alex, Amy Olson, Brittany Altomare, etc for 3 hours.

But your Merican xenophobia doesn't surprise me.

I'm Canadian and a huge golf fan...I'll watch golf even if Brooke, Alena Sharp, Hadwin, Connors, Taylor, etc are absent....Henderson is certainly not my fav LPGA pro...and I don't even watch her if I attend a LPGA event....and I also think Mike Weir is the biggest aloof a**hat dbag TOOL too.

8 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

1) I also liked to watch Cory Webb, shes not American but was popular. 

2) When the LPGA puts a quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

8 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

I also liked to watch Cory Webb, shes not American but was popular. Anika and Ochoa was not American and loved to watch them.

When the LPGA puts a quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

1) Who the heck is CODY Webb?....LOL

2) LMAO

8 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

lexi-thompson_tp.thumb.jpg.a2812521ecfdc6e9915476d95fee90bc.jpg

lexi-thompson-assessed-ridiculous-penalty-at-ana-inspiration1.thumb.jpg.7e8dd27c438003727250f896fa8899fe.jpg

or

335548-ryu-so-yeon.jpg.ceb92d9473c4c792e9b1a80ac9b56319.jpg05429e0fd003c4c031985809a380be95.jpg.77954093a5bae04bf85e348da0e20407.jpg

Lexi.....Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!....LMAO

@Double Mocha Man......I give you some more of SHARON....Shin Ae Ahn...you're welcome.spacer.png

Edited by Mr22putt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

lexi-thompson_tp.thumb.jpg.a2812521ecfdc6e9915476d95fee90bc.jpg

lexi-thompson-assessed-ridiculous-penalty-at-ana-inspiration1.thumb.jpg.7e8dd27c438003727250f896fa8899fe.jpg

or

335548-ryu-so-yeon.jpg.ceb92d9473c4c792e9b1a80ac9b56319.jpg05429e0fd003c4c031985809a380be95.jpg.77954093a5bae04bf85e348da0e20407.jpg

6 hours ago, Mr22putt said:

1) Who the heck is CODY Webb?....LOL

2) LMAO

Lexi.....Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater!....LMAO

@Double Mocha Man......I give you some more of SHARON....Shin Ae Ahn...you're welcome.spacer.png

There is a reason I stayed in S. Korea for 6 years after I finished my time in the Army. It wasn't for the food. 

Some very stout posts on this thread. Especially the ones that have continuously rallied around golf and really all of sport maintaining it's true meritocracy status. 

@Indy1954, I only watch NBA if LBJ or Steph Curry is playing regardless of how they are playing. Others don't interest me as much. I am what you would call a fairweather fan. Honestly I lost 80 percent of my interest in NBA since MJ retired so at some level I understand your plight from personal preference POV. But it is a huge reach to turn that around on the organization and blame them to not cater to what seems to be your own myopic  preference. 

Plenty of interest in the way LPGA is televised as it is and if posts on this thread is any proof, majority think it is better off than it ever was. 

• Like 2

Vishal S.

I think this past few years the LPGA tour has been doing a really good job of getting more exposure and bringing the game to a wider audience. I feel a lot more excitement watching the ladies now than maybe ten, fifteen years ago.

I find this year is particularly exciting, with the mix of veterans and , new stars such as Nelly Korda, and a wave of young blood (Maria Fassi, anyone?).

Stopped watching?  I never started.  The LPGA bores me to tears.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh, BTW, I watch more LPGA Tour golf today than ever. I'm watching the ISPS Handa Final Round right now from Australia.

What are you doing in Australia?!  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!