IGNORED

Cool Disc Golf Courses/Holes You’ve Played

dagolfer18

What’s a cool disc golf course/hole you’ve played? I’ve got two:

1) Here’s a really cool hole. This is No. 18 (of 22) at my regular disc golf course. It’s a   par-3, about 300 feet from the white tees (the course has the blue/white/red tee system). The tee shot goes downhill for about 200 feet until it gets to a small creek, which is in play, and then it goes uphill to the basket from there. Really cool aesthetics.

2) This was a 9-hole course I played at a youth camp once. Only played it a few times over the three days, but it was a nice way to get away from the hectics of the main camp area. Every hole was a par-3. Any hole that has an asterisk (*) next to the number was in my top three favorite holes. Here it is,    hole-by-hole, and I’m gonna write these descriptions favoring the better players, with stroke indexes based on my personal experience playing the course. I apologize in advance, but I do not remember holes 8 and 9.

No. 1 (SI 9): Just a straightaway, 150-yard hole to start. No huge dangers to note here, except if you go way left or way right. An almost certain birdie to ease you into the round.

No. 2* (SI 4): This one was about 250 feet, but it played all downhill, and the basket was placed right behind a cluster of trees, so a three, I imagine, is hard to come by for the better players. If you’re good at a roller shot and you catch the road that runs the length of the hole, you can potentially end up very close for a birdie opportunity.

No. 3 (SI 2): This one was tricky. There’s two ways to play this hole. Either curve it round a tree that’s right in front of you, if you can (probably 180 feet of you go that way), or go around either side of it (more like 300 feet this way). Oh, and if you opt for the former and hit the branches or the trunk, you’re going into a swamp-like area.

No. 4* (SI 8): Definitely one of the easier holes on the course, this 240-foot hole gives you plenty of room to throw, because you’re basically throwing into a large field. The basket is placed behind a hill, but very accessible. This is the hole where I scored the best.

No. 5 (SI 3): This hole starts a three-hole stretch that I called “Amen Corner”, as a homage to 11-13 at Augusta. Walking up a hill to the tee, you see a wide creek, which you have to throw over on the first shot, probably 100 feet to cover. The hole itself is about 350 feet long. The longest hole on the course, but, in my opinion, not the most difficult. The basket sits just a few yards from a small creek, which is very much in play, whether you’re getting there in one or three or four throws.

No. 6 (SI 5) The shortest hole on the course, at just 120 feet, but definitely not the easiest. The hole plays steeply uphill, which blocks your view of what happens if you go long. Yep. Water. Again, VERY much in play. If you don’t know the course, you could kill your score here. A three here is a very good score, and preps you for the next hole, which was probably my favorite on the course.

No. 7* (SI 1): This hole was about 240 feet, not long, but probably the most difficult. For shorter throwers: Miss left, and you’re going down the steep hill that you came up on   No. 6, possibly into a swamp area. Miss right, and it’s an even bigger problem. About that water that was in play on the sixth? It’s a lake. You may be dead missing left, and you’re definitely dead missing right. It’s about 200 feet to clear the water, and then you’re safe. I once missed right and took about 20 minutes getting my disc back.

As I said, I don’t remember much about 8 and 9, but I do remember they were straightaway, uphill holes.

So, there you have it. Here’s a little something extra about the course. I joined up with a group one round, and we did a two-man scramble, four teams of two. My partner and I scored a round of 28 (+1) and got 2nd place. The winning team scored even par.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

At the moment there's over 700 courses in Finland and they are constantly building new ones. Have played over 100 here, some in Estonia and one in Spain. Here's just couple cool ones I found photos off, can't tell which one is the coolest and haven't really played any bad courses either. That's probably mostly because I search new ones with Udisc (App everyone should have) and go by the ratings in there.

#1 Mijas discgolfpark, Mijas Spain

Playes by the mountains in stunning views and there's sheeps at the course every now and then, but the farmers came to shoo them off pretty quickly if they were on the way. Really open course, but becomes very challenging when it's windy. There was one 18 hole course couple years ago, but now they have built second one right next to old course.

20180102_163819.thumb.jpg.dc3332ab9bfd7ee69f09aee834e4ba1b.jpg

20180103_161133.thumb.jpg.4eac7a6c97242ecad63946b8ccdcbd68.jpg

#2 Puijo discgolf, Kuopio Finland

Plays around the Puijo skiing center and condition is usually stunning. 50/50 open and wooded holes with really nice views.

20190809_111529.thumb.jpg.2713882fa26afa608b5f84d45ce76818.jpg

#3 Kaatis discgolfpark, Vihti Finland

Probably top 3 course in Finland, pretty challenging and condition is always 10/10, one of the few pay to play courses. Still only 5 euros for a day or so.

20190711_172033.thumb.jpg.9dd58c3d46b5f1978953ad93cdb81dfb.jpg

#4 Jõulumäe Discgolf Park, Pärnu Estonia

Hidden gem in Pärnu, two 18 hole courses (Yellow and red layout) of which the yellow is challenging championship course and red is slightly easier.

20190708_101556.thumb.jpg.5b774163b840d64619effe12438a1ec8.jpg

20190708_101512.thumb.jpg.291ea9fd0ad0aa59b696e31d36a6b7c6.jpg

#5 Hanko Lillmärsan, Hanko Finland

Beatiful 24 hole course at the southest point of Finland by the sea.

IMG_20170625_134831.thumb.jpg.cd7ed343c30fcab853319a6556ed4af1.jpg

#6 Toramo discgolfpark, Rovaniemi Finland

At the hoods of santaclaus, beatifull tightly wooded course in Rovaniemi. Often times you'll have reindeers watching you bang those putts in.

20190805_170933.thumb.jpg.e1dea9ad666f1f5cdc103d9d956f6122.jpg

#7 Ford discgolfpark, Tuusula Finland

Sponsored by ford as name tells, tightly wooded course that is always dry no matter how much it rains, good for winter play aswell.

IMG-20171129-WA0009.thumb.jpg.8c368d63c302aaf1fe114c8478cabfef.jpg

#8 Siltamäki discgolfpark, Helsinki Finland

Really beginner friendly course that still offers great practise for better players. Fully lighted (maybe only one in Finland?) 18 hole course so this is the place to play at the middle of night.

20191011_204348.thumb.jpg.445d6a3d5bb6f4b33cd7b0756dee1388.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

@Tepi90I know I am late to the party, however, those are some amazing photos. I would love to travel there to play sometime.  Finland and Estonia seem to be leading the world id DG course design.

I wish I took some photos of it but playing Rollin' Ridge here in Wisconsin was quite incredible last year.  Nearly every hole was great.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• 1 year later...

Wanted to add a few courses from North Carolina area. Obviously Charlotte has some nice courses, but there is a lesser known course in West NC that I think both ball golfers and disc golfers alike can appreciate...North Cove, near Marion, NC. basically took a ball golf course and turned it into a full on pro level disc golf course...they have 3 in fact, on site.  Definitely a beautiful place to throw some discs. But I found it to be an interesting way to convert what might have not be a prospering golf course into something that is a little more progressive at the moment. Also, I'll add a link to the Lee's McRae College course 30 minutes north of North Cove...in Banner Elk. I teach the disc golf course there and we are redoing this course in the next couple of years so hopefully will see some improvements.

North Cove Disc Golf Course

Lees McRae College Course

• 2 months later...