rod7515

Advice for older player to relearn to play

7 posts / 762 viewsLast Reply

I’ve been playing golf for 40 years but more regular in the last 15 years. I’m now 60. I’ve never had control of my shot making both irons or woods. I’ve never really worked at my game but just played whenever I got the chance. The last 10 yrs I have belonged to a club and I play every Saturday and Sunday with a regular group. We have 12 to 16 players with handicaps from 2 to 20. My handicap was 14.3 but with the new system I am a 12.6. There are days that I will shot an 80 and the next day a 95. I count every shot and I play the balll as it lies. My game has gotten a little better over the last year. Now I want to take a step to really better my game. 
In an effort to improve I have purchased a sky track unit. Built a golf simulator and I am now ready to practice to improve. My question is what is the best way to go forward? Where do I start. My swing is not terrible but I am sure there is plenty of room for improvement. My goal is to become a single digit handicap that plays consistent golf each time out. If I would regularly hit the ball straight instead of one time left and one time right I think that would be a realistic goal. I know some would say where are your bad shots usually at. Truth is they can be anywhere on the course. Some tee shots are good but some go right and some go left. Normal drives are 210-220. When I hit them bad I usually fade the ball to the right but the course I play is tree lined so I’m in trouble. There are 2 holes that I consistently pull the ball to the left to get in trouble. I also have consistent issues with irons. I hit a 7 iron about 140 yards. My 5 iron would be in the 155-160 area. Again as with my woods I can push them right or pull them left. This inconsistency is where I would like to start and I’m sure it is somewhere in my swing. 
Here’s what I am looking for. Where do I start? How do I know who’s  swing theory is the right one for me. What practice methods should I be leaning to?

Thanks, Rod

My suggestion, coming from someone who took a 5 year layoff, is to find an instructor, there is loads of information here, and other places, but my first choice for game improvement will always be to get professional help. Do what he tells you and make it a regular meeting until you are confident you can kind of self check and know what to do, but I think meeting with a pro is not a one time thing, if you are serious about lowering your score. I would also have your clubs looked at, are the shafts the best choice for  you? Also, maybe the clubs need to be adjusted, get a fitting and see. Enjoy the journey.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My opinion is the same as snapfade..........   Get professional help.......  LOL

Having someone take a look and maybe tweak your swing with your various clubs, point out different things that could help, can make a big difference.  Having that can help you with your alignment and being more consistent with your shots.

Single digit is going to be a challenge with 210 off the tee.  Have you optimized on a launch monitor?  Frankly, I would try to get another 20-30 yards off the tee.  I would then take lessons on a launch monitor.  If you can get to 240 off the tee with roll, you might have an 8 iron instead of a 5 iron for a second shot.  A whole nuther ball game.  I'm a little older than you.  

Since you have a Sky Trak simulator, I would hit shots and get an idea what is going on.  I’m not sure of the features, but if you can get club head path and orientation at impact, it might give you the reason why you are going left and right.

Club head speed, launch angle, etc.  might help to determine if your distances are where they should be or there is something else that is impacting getting the most from each shot.

This isn’t a fix for being inconsistent, but it is something you might want to discuss with a pro going into lessons.

John

On 2/16/2020 at 6:27 AM, rod7515 said:

My handicap was 14.3 but with the new system I am a 12.6.

Not to take this in a different direction, but this is something I had read about with the new handicap system.  Shorter hitters that play forward tees are penalized.  Not that you are hitting from forward tees, however if you are playing no better but your handicap dropped based on how it is now calculated, you got sc#%$ed.

John