IGNORED

Playing When Walking vs. Riding?

snapfade
Note: This thread is 1489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Walking vs. Riding  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play when you walk versus ride?

• I play about the same.
    • I play better when I walk.
    • I play better when I ride.
    • I have no idea / I really only ever play one way.

I believe I play better when I walk. The best 15 year run I had as mid single digit handicapper was when I walked. The courses I play now are too hilly and long so I pretty much ride. I much prefer walking to riding though and it just feels more like I am playing golf with walking.

I know I play better when I walk. Not exactly sure why. I think I just take more time to look around and not think to much about my swing. I tend to pay attention to details more when I walk...the wind, where the pin is, where to miss etc. For me it's more relaxing. Which I think leads to better golf. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always walk whenever I can, even if I get free carts at my home course. Taking a cart deprives me of exercise. I'll take one if the weather looks threatening, or later in life when I get too old to walk. I do think I play better when walking. The slower pace seems to fit my game. It slows me down after making a bad shot and am less inclined to rush on my next shot.

34 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I know I play better when I walk. Not exactly sure why. I think I just take more time to look around and not think to much about my swing. I tend to pay attention to details more when I walk...the wind, where the pin is, where to miss etc. For me it's more relaxing. Which I think leads to better golf. 

Agree.  And in all seriousness it takes longer to get to a bad shot when you are walking - more time to reset.  And when walking you never hit the wrong club because you left the right club in the cart.

I like walking when I play, so that may contribute to playing better in general when I walk.

I will ride when they force me to ride (i.e., when the green fee includes the cart fee) or when all of the guys in my group ride.

I prefer walking when given a choice as it allows me to reset my thoughts between shots.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, luzcarter said:

I can say Im physically fit. Walking around the course doesnt tire me and I love the little exercise in between swings. 

Me too. You can burn a lot of calories walking 18 holes. I also enjoy the process of "hydrating" after the round.:beer:

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

My scores don't change that much, if at all. Some days are better than otber regardless if I walk or ride. 

I do prefer to walk. My riding is usually during hotter wather conditions. During triple digit temps our home course will sometimes wave the cart fees. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

15 hours ago, David in FL said:

Better in a cart, especially in the heat.  I’m less fatigued and find it easier to keep cool and hydrated.

I used to walk and carry. Then I walked and pulled a cart. Eventually, once my knees were shot, I succumbed to riding in a cart. I held out as long as I could. 

12 hours ago, Rippy_72 said:

When the cart hits bumps, it jams your spine.  This puts my spine erector muscles into spasm.  Bad for my game.  Some courses are impossible to walk.  I've sometimes been able to walk by agreeing to pay the cart fee but some places insist on 5-6 hour rounds and golf carts on the "path only" are the sure way to accomplish that.

You make it sound like you have far too much info about the body! This indulges you to worry about absolutely everything! And I've never played a 6 hour round riding in a cart. But, I don't know where you are playing. 

I'd like to believe that I play better walking, but I just don't think its true.  I like to walk when I can, especially with my QOD, but my home course is really pretty hilly, and has some long green-to-tee walks.  I'm pretty dang tired by the time I get done, and that shows.  I don't have data to support it, but I believe I score better when I'm less fatigued, when I ride.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I used to walk and carry. Then I walked and pulled a cart. Eventually, once my knees were shot, I succumbed to riding in a cart. I held out as long as I could. 

You make it sound like you have far too much info about the body! This indulges you to worry about absolutely everything! And I've never played a 6 hour round riding in a cart. But, I don't know where you are playing. 

Pain is like that.  Depending upon how one swings the club, a tightened back can affect the shot.

Pinehurst 2 was 7 hours.  But you are correct, 6 hour rounds are rare.  I exaggerated.   5+ are common.

I play better and quicker when I walk, but I mostly ride now due to knee/ankle issues. If someone is riding with me, I will try to walk a few flat holes to get more exercise.

I started playing golf at age 40 with a bad back and always preferred to ride although I would always walk an executive course near my house.  Fatigue and pain are killers and my back and now my hip have 2-3 miles of walking in them before they impact my game negatively .  At 68 I could walk 9 but prefer not to.

Note: This thread is 1489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!