ChetlovesMer

Do You Sole Your Driver?

Do you "Sole" your driver behind the ball?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sole your driver behind the ball?

• Yes, I do
    • No, I don't
    • I have no idea, I'll check the next time I hit a driver and get back to you.

24 posts / 1385 viewsLast Reply

Okay, this was a new one. 

I was at the range this weekend. And a couple of guys were kind of sitting behind me on the benches they have there. I guess they were watching me, because all of a sudden one of them pipes up and says "Hey, do you realize you never sole your driver behind the ball?" … 

At first I wasn't sure he was talking to me. Then when I realized he was, I asked him to repeat the question. He did. I told him I never really thought about it. 

Anyhow, to make a long story short, he went on and on about how I should "Sole" the driver behind the ball. It would increase my "Muscle Memory" to help my consistency. I thanked him politely and told him I'd discuss it with my swing coach. 

A few things:
1 - I don't think I've ever "Soled" my driver behind the ball. I've had 2 long term and a half dozen other swing coaches and none of them have EVER mention it to me. 

2 - I've never seen this guy getting lessons at the range even though they have a half dozen teaching pros operating out of that place. I've also seen this guy play golf and he's not particularly good. 

3 - I've never actually noticed if this is a common practice among good golfers, either the pros or the single digits or scratch players I know. I've simply never thought about it. 

4 - I should mention this comment came at an odd time as I was hitting the driver really well that day. Very consistent. So, I don't know how much he was watching. But the question/comment struck me as odd. 

Anyhow, after the dude mentioned it to me I took notice of what I actually do. I pretty much just hover the driver behind the ball and then begin my backswing. He's right I never put the club on the ground, or "Sole" it as he called it. Maybe it started back when I was a beginner I've always paid a lot for my driver and I probably didn't want to get it dirty. 

So, I ask the crowd. Do you "sole" your driver? 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I sole the club, but lightly.  For me, I feel like I want both worlds, finding the right grip pressure and balance per hovering and finding my reference point for striking the ball by soling the club.  I also want to be consistent through all my clubs, and I definitely sole my irons.

I lightly sole my irons, hybrid, and 3 wood, but I do not sole my driver. Years ago I thought it helped me avoid left misses with the driver and it just became a habit.

I don't sole my driver because it helps me avoid hitting the ground on my shot.  I wouldn't ever play a driver off the turf, unless it was "teed up" in deep grass in the rough.  I never intend to hit the ground with the driver, and hence keeping it off the ground helps me return the club to where I want it when hitting the shot

I soul my driver. I sing a little R&B or hum smooth jazz tunes to get it in the mood. It particularly likes Bill Withers.

This sounds like a match play mind game to me. Like asking if you breathe in or out during your swing. 

Edited by DeadMan

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

This sounds like a match play mind game to me. Like asking if you breath in or out during your swing. 

Man, I didn't even think of that.

Could be a good call. 

Not normally. To me soling the club behind the ball is too close to predeterming the low pointt of my swing. I am speaking about my irons.

I do sometimes sole the club in front of the ball to determine that low point of my swing

43 minutes ago, Patch said:

Not normally. To me soling the club behind the ball is too close to predeterming the low pointt of my swing. I am speaking about my irons.

I do sometimes sole the club in front of the ball to determine that low point of my swing

Do you mean behind your ball? Driver low point should be behind, not in front of the ball. 

I do ground mine fairly close to the back of the ball, but I make a conscious effort to have the correct AoA on impact. 

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. I hover back and forth between the methods.

This. 

It truly does not matter.

I've been meaning to try soling it, then pick it up an inch or so on the backswing.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I soul my driver. I sing a little R&B or hum smooth jazz tunes to get it in the mood. It particularly likes Bill Withers.

I'm a sooollleee man 🎶

I tend to "sole" it when I'm getting my grip and stance set up and hover it just before the backswing. 

I Posted my answer the same time "daled" did...….  LOL

Edited by IowaGreg

I sole every club in the bag including putter. People who don't make me nervous. It is hard to watch. They will often hood the club too. I think it would be hard to ground the club at address with a super closed face.

I do rest my driver on the ground. In fact, I tap my driver to make sure the head is sitting on solid ground. 

I have an odd setup for my driver. If anyone were to watch me from behind, they’d think I am setting up for a practice swing because the ball and my club head are nowhere near each other! 

I sole my driver lightly on the ground. I've never really thought about it but it seems less so than my irons.

I sole mine. Seeing your a 7.7.......did you ask him what his cap was? 

don’t you just love unsolicited comments?