9 posts / 400 viewsLast Reply

i have the 17 M2 fw with the ReAx 55 shaft. I use a regular flex shaft throughout my bag. I am having a lot of difficulty with the weight of the club. It feels way too light. 0 control at contact. 

Would putting in a new shaft at a 65 weight benefit me? Was going to put in a Aldila Nvs  orange nxt. Cheap shaft that I have played in the past. 

1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

i have the 17 M2 fw with the ReAx 55 shaft. I use a regular flex shaft throughout my bag. I am having a lot of difficulty with the weight of the club. It feels way too light. 0 control at contact. 

Would putting in a new shaft at a 65 weight benefit me? Was going to put in a Aldila Nvs  orange nxt. Cheap shaft that I have played in the past. 

I would think so. I am almost 60 and use a 70g shaft on my FW. What is your driver swing speed?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has been some time since I have been on a monitor. No idea what my swing speed is. I tried putting the matching shaft in my M1 driver, I couldn’t  keep the damn ball in play.

Same as fairway wood. Back and through as if nothing was in my hand. Very poor ball striking with such a light shaft. 

20 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Why wouldn't you look at putting the REAX 65 in? I am no shaft expert, but I think that there is a lot more to a shaft than the weight. I would be concerned about putting any old 65 gram shaft on that head. Looks like the shaft you have in there is a senior flex or one step up from "Ladies". 

To be honest not a fan of the reax shaft. The 55 is a reg flex but man is it flimsy. I do not like it at all. I have the tini 60 reg flex in my driver and love it. 

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

It has been some time since I have been on a monitor. No idea what my swing speed is. I tried putting the matching shaft in my M1 driver, I couldn’t  keep the damn ball in play.

Same as fairway wood. Back and through as if nothing was in my hand. Very poor ball striking with such a light shaft. 

Usually the fairway shaft is around 10g heavier than the driver. I would look at a 65g shaft or in that range.

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

Why wouldn't you look at putting the REAX 65 in? I am no shaft expert, but I think that there is a lot more to a shaft than the weight. I would be concerned about putting any old 65 gram shaft on that head. Looks like the shaft you have in there is a senior flex or one step up from "Ladies". 

Actually, weight is by far and away the most important spec of any shaft. Way more important than, flex, bend profile, torque, even radial consistency. Getting the weight right is a must, the other stuff is more fine tuning at best.

2 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

If you want to know better before you go ahead and reshaft, get some lead tape and run strips down the length of the shaft starting an inch or so below the grip. Put 10g of tape on and go hit it. Add or subtract until you get the feel and dispersion you are looking for. You may find you want it even heavier, say around 70 or maybe lighter say 62. Then you can pick your shaft based off that.

Weight is big.  I had a 2017 m1 3 hL and was all over the place with it.  I traded it in.   I’ve had the same problem with fairway wood shafts as well.  If I carry a 3 wood, I was carrying my old Ping Tisi Tec with the Graphite Design ys6 in it.

A month ago, for the heck of it I took an 85 gram ust proforce v2 and put it in an original RBZ 3 wood head and it feels great and I kill it.

23 hours ago, Adam C said:

Actually, weight is by far and away the most important spec of any shaft.

Good, I found a great deal on a 65 gram hickory shaft.