cutchemist42

Is There a Golf Equivalent of the Houston Astros Scandal?

56 posts / 1985 viewsLast Reply

Anything come close to this scandal in golf lore? I've seen this asked on other sport forums and it led to some interesting stories and takes so thought I'd ask here.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you mean deliberately cheating and getting away with it with little to no penalty? Sure, it just happened to Patrick Reed at the Hero World Challenge and has happened to others in the past.

Has someone deliberately cheated and gone on to win a major championship? I'm not sure. My knowledge of golf history is quite limited compared to others on here.

17 minutes ago, klineka said:

If you mean deliberately cheating and getting away with it with little to no penalty? Sure, it just happened to Patrick Reed at the Hero World Challenge and has happened to others in the past.

Has someone deliberately cheated and gone on to win a major championship? I'm not sure. My knowledge of golf history is quite limited compared to others on here.

Yeah the Patrick Reed is one thing. I was kinda thinking any of the Majors or 2nd tier tournies.

I almost think it might be hard to fully cheat your way to a tourney of that level but I dont know the full history of golf to say so.

22 minutes ago, klineka said:

9 hours ago, klineka said:

He was penalized two strokes. Even if he had done it intentionally… it's two strokes.

Nothing compares with the magnitude of cheating over an entire season, including the playoffs, resulting in winning the World Series.

I could envision someone incorporating electronics that go undetected.  Not exactly the Rodney Dangerfield putter, but some unfair advantage.

However, if someone was able to cheat throughout the season, end up number one and win the Tour Championship/Fedex Cup there would be more than a slap on the wrist.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

No, not even close.  There have undoubtedly been instances of individual golfers infringing, But the kind of systematic, organizational conspiracy to cheat that occurred with the Astros?  Nothing remotely comparable.

Patiently waiting for a male pro to transition and go on the lpga.

that will be big

12 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

Patiently waiting for a male pro to transition and go on the lpga.

that will be big

That should be a poll, Who could make the transition? I'd vote for Ian Poulter just because he's Ian Poulter. 

The closest we seem to have is Billy Mayfair who has the worst reputation (maybe Reed has it now) for consistent cheating.

Reed has had a better career, IMO.   But those 1-2 shots here and there that you save by cheating can be the difference in how you place and that can translate to serious money.   

And then there's the other side of the coin. Roberto Devincenzo signed for an incorrect score, kept by a playing opponent, and lost the Masters because of it. He would have been in a playoff if that score had been accepted, or won the Masters outright if the score had been kept correctly. I think! It was a long time ago! 

And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating, but Nicklaus and Palmer were in a playoff for the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. In that day you had to come back on Monday and play 18 to decide things. I read an article that said, in the locker room before the match, Palmer asked Nicklaus if he wanted to "split it". Meaning  split the pot. Apparently, this was a common occurrence back then and, who knows, maybe today.

If I recall correctly, the purse was $10,000 to the winner, $5,000 for second place. So, they could go out, play a stress free round of golf, and both head home with $7,500 in their pocket! Big money in '62!

Reportedly, Nicklaus thought about it for a few seconds and said, "No, I'd rather play it straight," , and Palmer replied, "That's what I thought you'd say".  

2 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating, but Nicklaus and Palmer were in a playoff for the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. In that day you had to come back on Monday and play 18 to decide things. I read an article that said, in the locker room before the match, Palmer asked Nicklaus if he wanted to "split it". Meaning  split the pot. Apparently, this was a common occurrence back then and, who knows, maybe today.

If I recall correctly, the purse was $10,000 to the winner, $5,000 for second place. So, they could go out, play a stress free round of golf, and both head home with $7,500 in their pocket! Big money in '62!

Reportedly, Nicklaus thought about it for a few seconds and said, "No, I'd rather play it straight," , and Palmer replied, "That's what I thought you'd say".

Cool story, but what’s it have to do with cheating?

21 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And then there's the other side of the coin. Roberto Devincenzo signed for an incorrect score, kept by a playing opponent, and lost the Masters because of it. He would have been in a playoff if that score had been accepted, or won the Masters outright if the score had been kept correctly. I think! It was a long time ago! 

The score was accepted. He signed for a 4 instead of a 3.

And yeah, what’s the point of your post?

BTW Palmer was upset he didn’t agree.

B450D968-31F8-45F8-A073-16BABF276DD2.jpeg

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Probably zero, even if we include the ending.  Palmer picked up Nicklaus's marker on 18, trying to concede.  He was stopped by a USGA rules official who reminded him that in medal play, you cannot concede a putt.  He put it back, Nicklaus made the 2' for 71 (to Palmer's 74).

But there was no intent, and (at least to me) to use the word cheating there has to be intent.

23 hours ago, iacas said:

The score was accepted. He signed for a 4 instead of a 3.

And yeah, what’s the point of your post?

BTW Palmer was upset he didn’t agree.

B450D968-31F8-45F8-A073-16BABF276DD2.jpeg

OK, you read a different article than I did. 

23 hours ago, billchao said:

That's why I included in my reply "And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating"! Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. But, don't feel too bad about it. I've made mistakes myself. The point being that both players could have a stress free round of golf knowing they were both going home with a predetermined amount of money!