Jump to content
cutchemist42

Is There a Golf Equivalent of the Houston Astros Scandal?

56 posts / 1985 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Anything come close to this scandal in golf lore? I've seen this asked on other sport forums and it led to some interesting stories and takes so thought I'd ask here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you mean deliberately cheating and getting away with it with little to no penalty? Sure, it just happened to Patrick Reed at the Hero World Challenge and has happened to others in the past.

Has someone deliberately cheated and gone on to win a major championship? I'm not sure. My knowledge of golf history is quite limited compared to others on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, klineka said:

If you mean deliberately cheating and getting away with it with little to no penalty? Sure, it just happened to Patrick Reed at the Hero World Challenge and has happened to others in the past.

Has someone deliberately cheated and gone on to win a major championship? I'm not sure. My knowledge of golf history is quite limited compared to others on here.

Yeah the Patrick Reed is one thing. I was kinda thinking any of the Majors or 2nd tier tournies.

I almost think it might be hard to fully cheat your way to a tourney of that level but I dont know the full history of golf to say so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, klineka said:

Has someone deliberately cheated and gone on to win a major championship? I'm not sure. My knowledge of golf history is quite limited compared to others on here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, klineka said:

If you mean deliberately cheating and getting away with it with little to no penalty? Sure, it just happened to Patrick Reed at the Hero World Challenge and has happened to others in the past.

He was penalized two strokes. Even if he had done it intentionally… it's two strokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing compares with the magnitude of cheating over an entire season, including the playoffs, resulting in winning the World Series.

I could envision someone incorporating electronics that go undetected.  Not exactly the Rodney Dangerfield putter, but some unfair advantage.

However, if someone was able to cheat throughout the season, end up number one and win the Tour Championship/Fedex Cup there would be more than a slap on the wrist.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, not even close.  There have undoubtedly been instances of individual golfers infringing, But the kind of systematic, organizational conspiracy to cheat that occurred with the Astros?  Nothing remotely comparable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Patiently waiting for a male pro to transition and go on the lpga.

that will be big

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

Patiently waiting for a male pro to transition and go on the lpga.

that will be big

That should be a poll, Who could make the transition? I'd vote for Ian Poulter just because he's Ian Poulter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The closest we seem to have is Billy Mayfair who has the worst reputation (maybe Reed has it now) for consistent cheating.

Reed has had a better career, IMO.   But those 1-2 shots here and there that you save by cheating can be the difference in how you place and that can translate to serious money.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And then there's the other side of the coin. Roberto Devincenzo signed for an incorrect score, kept by a playing opponent, and lost the Masters because of it. He would have been in a playoff if that score had been accepted, or won the Masters outright if the score had been kept correctly. I think! It was a long time ago! 

And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating, but Nicklaus and Palmer were in a playoff for the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. In that day you had to come back on Monday and play 18 to decide things. I read an article that said, in the locker room before the match, Palmer asked Nicklaus if he wanted to "split it". Meaning  split the pot. Apparently, this was a common occurrence back then and, who knows, maybe today.

If I recall correctly, the purse was $10,000 to the winner, $5,000 for second place. So, they could go out, play a stress free round of golf, and both head home with $7,500 in their pocket! Big money in '62!

Reportedly, Nicklaus thought about it for a few seconds and said, "No, I'd rather play it straight," , and Palmer replied, "That's what I thought you'd say".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating, but Nicklaus and Palmer were in a playoff for the 1962 US Open at Oakmont. In that day you had to come back on Monday and play 18 to decide things. I read an article that said, in the locker room before the match, Palmer asked Nicklaus if he wanted to "split it". Meaning  split the pot. Apparently, this was a common occurrence back then and, who knows, maybe today.

If I recall correctly, the purse was $10,000 to the winner, $5,000 for second place. So, they could go out, play a stress free round of golf, and both head home with $7,500 in their pocket! Big money in '62!

Reportedly, Nicklaus thought about it for a few seconds and said, "No, I'd rather play it straight," , and Palmer replied, "That's what I thought you'd say".

Cool story, but what’s it have to do with cheating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

And then there's the other side of the coin. Roberto Devincenzo signed for an incorrect score, kept by a playing opponent, and lost the Masters because of it. He would have been in a playoff if that score had been accepted, or won the Masters outright if the score had been kept correctly. I think! It was a long time ago! 

The score was accepted. He signed for a 4 instead of a 3.

And yeah, what’s the point of your post?

BTW Palmer was upset he didn’t agree.

B450D968-31F8-45F8-A073-16BABF276DD2.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Cool story, but what’s it have to do with cheating?

Probably zero, even if we include the ending.  Palmer picked up Nicklaus's marker on 18, trying to concede.  He was stopped by a USGA rules official who reminded him that in medal play, you cannot concede a putt.  He put it back, Nicklaus made the 2' for 71 (to Palmer's 74).

But there was no intent, and (at least to me) to use the word cheating there has to be intent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 hours ago, iacas said:

The score was accepted. He signed for a 4 instead of a 3.

And yeah, what’s the point of your post?

BTW Palmer was upset he didn’t agree.

B450D968-31F8-45F8-A073-16BABF276DD2.jpeg

OK, you read a different article than I did. 

23 hours ago, billchao said:

Cool story, but what’s it have to do with cheating?

That's why I included in my reply "And I don't know if this qualifies as cheating"! Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. But, don't feel too bad about it. I've made mistakes myself. The point being that both players could have a stress free round of golf knowing they were both going home with a predetermined amount of money! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...